Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hum from RF wheel/tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hum from RF wheel/tire

I have a humming noise that I can't figure out, and I thought someone here would have some insight. I changed my winter tires to my s-lites and I noticed a hum (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) comming from the right front wheel/tire. I assumed I had mislabeled them and there tire was uneven and therfore it was just tire noise. I was planning on putting on new wheels and tires so I didn't give it much thought. When I replaced my s-lites and tires the noise didn't leave (I have RPF1's and Azenis on now). I just did my brakes and didn't notice anything out of place, damaged, or any signs of rubbing.

Here is something I think might help. When I take a corner that takes weight off the RF tire (right turn) the humming sound lessens almost to the point of not being there. It is RPM sensetive in tone but not in volume, any speeds over 15 mph or so and the humming is there. It's really starting to annoy me and I could use any advice anyone has!!

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Runflats are very noisy when they are used ... I replaced mine on GBMINI#2 at 20K miles; I thought I had failed wheel bearings, but new tires cured the noise.

Or maybe it's something else!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Runflats are very noisy when they are used ... I replaced mine on GBMINI#2 at 20K miles; I thought I had failed wheel bearings, but new tires cured the noise.

Or maybe it's something else!

Well that's part of my problem...I replaced the runflats and the noise is still there. Anyone have any insight for me?