Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Exhaust Burble... Goes Away w/ Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:31 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Burble... Goes Away w/ Upgrade?

Okay, so I got my 06' MCS. I have full intentions to mod... of course. I didn't know about the exhaust "Burble" and have grown to really love it. I was wondering...

If I upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust, will the burble go away? Will it increase?

I'm hoping for an Increase.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
It won't go away!

Now, mod it and have fun with that new MINI!!

Old 05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont have the Burble sound,... mines almost like a rattle.. i know thats not normal.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm trying to parse 'burble'... I LOVE the way the exhaust sounds, particularly dropping to idle. But one thing I've been wondering about... and mind you, I'm at a green 80 miles... I'm getting short popping backfires is I leave off the accelerator in gear as the car starts to come down in revs. Normal for break-in?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
That little popping sound when you let off the gas is indeed the burble sound. Its a good thing

Old 05-02-2006, 05:06 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
and it gets better when you change the exhaust to a louder one...

Old 05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Ah?
I thought I was hearing backfiring, like little pop pop pops... what IS this gurgle? Why for the gurgle!

New car, so every sound is suspect!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Ah?
I thought I was hearing backfiring, like little pop pop pops... what IS this gurgle? Why for the gurgle!

New car, so every sound is suspect!
Yeah, actually when I first heard it, it was really subtle and just like a single pop so I thought I was breaking something. But then someone told me what it was.. and I was like... ohhh... nice.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Mine still pops very loud...but i have no cat..

Old 05-02-2006, 07:49 PM
fillelectrique
2nd Gear
BURBLE!!! i love my little burble! i hear it everytime i get to the end of my street. happy little burble!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I have a 2005 MCS. After adding Milltek the pop-pop is still there but not as much or as loud.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
SHRTSTAK
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the little burble, too. When sitting at a stop light I'll rev in neutral just to hear it sometimes. I usually do this with the girlfriend in the car. So I **** her off and I hear my little burble. Double bonus.

While we are on the subject, I was thinking of getting a euro plate saying "POPOPOP" What do you think?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Burble? What burble?

I guess either I am too used to it (the burble) or I'm deaf from my loud exhaust (broken bolt and a leak for a few weeks).

Now all is fixed but I hardly realize if there is any burble.

Try accelerating then let off the throttle... listen for the burble.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:18 AM
gt6
5th Gear
The exhaust burble is normal and gets better (i.e. louder) when you upgrade the exhaust. There was a link to an article that somewhat explained it awhile back. I don't have the link anymore but I did manage to copy the article.

The following is a very brief excerpt explaining the burble.

"I enjoyed cranking and reveling in the tunes, which meant it took me a few days to notice the Mini's flatulence. When a passenger forced me to uncrank the audio, it became obvious that this car likes to backfire. When the car's warm and you ease off the gas (hey, sometimes you have to slow down!) it farts like a Chili cookoff judge the morning after.

This worried me enough that I checked out an online Mini owners' board as well as phoning my local dealer. As it turns out, this prominent pooting is on purpose, and was even enhanced for the 2005 model year to accent the car's performance and sportiness. The dealer rep to whom I spoke said when his Mini does it the car is telling him it's warm, happy and contented in its work. "

Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I'm still trying to grasp how a backfire is an indication of performance, but if it is what it is, and the car is happy, then I'm down with the burble.

And "POPOPOP" is a great Euro plate!

Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
exhaust size:burble loudness

bigger exhaust (more flow) = bigger louder burble (I believe longer too, but thats just my humble opinion)

Old 05-04-2006, 08:32 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Go with a BORLA sport exhaust and you will never go back

Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
Go with a BORLA sport exhaust and you will never go back
borla race ftw

Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my Supersprint/Kelleners exhaust "burble".....music to my ears

Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 PM
TooTall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I'm still trying to grasp how a backfire is an indication of performance
You live in San Francisco. Go down to the Monterey Historic races in August and listen to the 50's and 60's racers come down off the hill into turns 10 and 11. As they lift off the gas you'll hear what the burble in its full glory sounds like - a loud crackling. I think it is caused by two things: the valve overlap in performance engines of that vintage trying to get maximum exhaust purge, and then the excess fuel/air charge between the throttle and the cylinders when the hp demand is suddenly reduced - the fuel/air charge is already past the throttle and on it's way - but the motor doesn't need it, so it gets pumped into the exhaust and burned there. It dies out as the closed throttle reduces air flow.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Check out this from MINIUSA on Motoringfile.com:
http://motoringfile.com/2005/06/28/exhaust_popping/

" One of the many of items that was revised for 2005 model year was the exhaust sound on the Cooper S. MINI not only altered the physical design slightly but also re-tuned the engine management software creating a few entirely new exhaust sounds that hadn’t been heard from a stock MCS or even JCW before. This has caused quite a few owners not aware of the change to ask the now familiar question, “what’s that popping?” MINIUSA relased a official service measure earlier this year on the subject which should, once and for all, answer this question:
Service Measure M 18 200 04 9/27/04
Subject: Model Year 2005 MINI Cooper S Popping From Exhaust
Complaint: The vehicle exhibits an acoustic feedback of the exhaust system under the following conditions: Engine braking in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. Increasing engine speed above 3000 rpm while the vehicle is stationary
The popping noise from the exhaust system can also be described as a “backfire” from the engine.
Measure: Do not attempt to repair or replace any parts, this is not a failure of any driveline components. The acoustic feedback is a standard feature of the 2005 Model Year Cooper S vehicle produced as of 7/2004. This feature cannot be retrofitted to the previous model year vehicles."

Old 05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TooTall
..Go down to the Monterey Historic races in August and listen to the 50's and 60's racers come down off the hill into turns 10 and 11. .....
or tune in to a WRC race

i love the really loud burble from my supertrapp to the point where i try to induce it....

Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
'05 eh? I have an '03 with an exquisite burble that got better after the one-ball mod.

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Check out this from MINIUSA on Motoringfile.com:
http://motoringfile.com/2005/06/28/exhaust_popping/

" One of the many of items that was revised for 2005 model year was the exhaust sound on the Cooper S. MINI not only altered the physical design slightly but also re-tuned the engine management software creating a few entirely new exhaust sounds that hadn’t been heard from a stock MCS or even JCW before. This has caused quite a few owners not aware of the change to ask the now familiar question, “what’s that popping?” MINIUSA relased a official service measure earlier this year on the subject which should, once and for all, answer this question:
Service Measure M 18 200 04 9/27/04
Subject: Model Year 2005 MINI Cooper S Popping From Exhaust
Complaint: The vehicle exhibits an acoustic feedback of the exhaust system under the following conditions: Engine braking in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. Increasing engine speed above 3000 rpm while the vehicle is stationary
The popping noise from the exhaust system can also be described as a “backfire” from the engine.
Measure: Do not attempt to repair or replace any parts, this is not a failure of any driveline components. The acoustic feedback is a standard feature of the 2005 Model Year Cooper S vehicle produced as of 7/2004. This feature cannot be retrofitted to the previous model year vehicles."

Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TooTall
You live in San Francisco. Go down to the Monterey Historic races in August and listen to the 50's and 60's racers come down off the hill into turns 10 and 11.
Now that I'm attuned to it, I see what you mean. I mentioned it to the car guys here at the office and they flipped out that I didn't understand the physics of it. But I'm clear now, and all is good.

Thanks yall..

Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
Hey TRDL,

If you come out on the 27th there will likely be an array of aftermarket exhasts that you can here the sound/burble enhancement on!

I know 2 brands that will be there: Milltek (me & SCMCS) and Borla Street (Willum). I looooooove my Milltek and that sweetly enhanced 'pop pop pop.' Each exhaust has its pros & cons so be sure to chat us up and we'll tell you all about them!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Burble... Goes Away w/ Upgrade?