Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Installed camber plates & have change in DSC behavior???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed camber plates & have change in DSC behavior???

We recently installed camber plates into our MINI and suddenly (not sure if it relates at all to this or just coincidence) our DSC was reacting totally differently?

BEFORE
With the DSC on the car would SEVERELY cut the power if it sensed any wheel spin - to the point that I felt it was almost dangerous and certainly ridiculous. The DSC made lots of noise in slolom conditions and was quite instrusive. The car DID NOT like to turn sharply at higher speeds.

NOW
With the DSC on the car only LIMITS the amount of power - it's actually bearable. There is LESS noise when going through slolom conditions but the DSC IS definitely working none the less. Of course with -2 camber the car is turning WAY better- the light is flashing but it's not cutting power much at all and it zooms through even with DSC on.

Questions:

Has anyone else experienced this?

I know some cars are equipped with "smart" computers that after time adjust themselves...is MINI one of these?

Don't get me wrong I am FAR from complaining...what ever it is that happened I like it I'd just like some answers to how or why it happened

Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 AM
gelstudios
2nd Gear
DSC appears (to me anyway) to base its corrections/babysitting based on yaw rate, individual wheel speed, and probably steering angle. I noticed the first week that it was sudden changes (yank the wheel, throttle lift, etc) that caused it to interfere. I also noticed that it wouldnt complain if I drove smoothly (no matter how fast), like on exit ramps when I can hear the runflats squealing.

My guess is the additional grip from the camber plates doesnt affect the wheelspeed/yaw relationship that the DSC monitors. DSC also seems to have "stages" or "levels" of intervention:
1. individual wheel braking (you have to pay attention to feel it)
2. partial torque cut/limit (feels like a momentary pause)
3. full torque cut (i think all mini drivers know what that feels like)

Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
5th Gear
I noticed this as well, but I think it is just from better tire contact. I put in new shocks at the same time and off the line accelleration is much better.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with gelstudios about the way that DSC seems to react. I'll bet the improved handling capabilty you achieved due to the -2 camber, PLUS your learning over time to be smoother yet faster both have contributed to you and the DSC working better together. I feel that the DSC has made me a smoother driver, and I can go fast with it on, as long as I keep my control inputs smooth. I still feel that the DSSC is a little too intrusive, but sometimes I just turn it off, and squeal and chirp my tires around. Just gotta do it sometimes.

On the other hand, I've kind of make a "game" out of trying to "beat" the DSC by going faster without making the light come on, but mainly to avoid those bothersome "disruptions" we have all experienced when he DSC :"slaps our wrists" by cutting power and says, "oh, no, you don't!" or maybe it is more of "Whoa!"

In the case of human interaction with the DSC, I my feeling is that -- unlike the Mini's ECU -- the "computer" that is "adjusting over time" is the human brain.