Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

1st gear rough and low oil level

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 AM
makmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gear rough and low oil level

The past 2 weeks I noticed that engaging 1st gear in my MC40 at low rev's has been rough and loud. I'm not sure what the oil dipstick should normally look like at proper oil levels but it did appear to be low. I added a quart of synthetic and drove around for a couple miles and rechecked the levels. The dipstick looked a little better and 1st gear *feels* a lot smoother.

I tried searching for 'oil light' issues but is anyone aware of any known issues with the low oil light sensor not going off? Kinda scary that there was no warning from the computer about low oil levels.

I think I might as well change the oil at this point for good measure.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by makmini
The past 2 weeks I noticed that engaging 1st gear in my MC40 at low rev's has been rough and loud. I'm not sure what the oil dipstick should normally look like at proper oil levels but it did appear to be low. I added a quart of synthetic and drove around for a couple miles and rechecked the levels. The dipstick looked a little better and 1st gear *feels* a lot smoother.

I tried searching for 'oil light' issues but is anyone aware of any known issues with the low oil light sensor not going off? Kinda scary that there was no warning from the computer about low oil levels.

I think I might as well change the oil at this point for good measure.
The dipstick checks the engine oil level; it has nothing to do with your transmission.

Also, did you make sure your engine was at full operating temperature and then allow sufficient time for the oil to drain back before you checked the oil level (if it hasn't all drained back to the oil pan you will get a low reading on the dipstick when, in reality, it's not low). Too little oil = bad and too much oil = bad. Never trust the warning light. You should check your oil level regularly.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:47 AM
fred3
4th Gear
You might also want to consider learning how to read a dipstick. It's not that difficult and you can do damage not only by allowing the oil to get too low, but by overfilling it too.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
makmini
Neutral
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
The dipstick checks the engine oil level; it has nothing to do with your transmission.

Also, did you make sure your engine was at full operating temperature and then allow sufficient time for the oil to drain back before you checked the oil level (if it hasn't all drained back to the oil pan you will get a low reading on the dipstick when, in reality, it's not low). Too little oil = bad and too much oil = bad. Never trust the warning light. You should check your oil level regularly.

I understand that it has no direct correlation with the transmission- however, I felt like the engine didn't have to work so hard - i.e.- lubrication of the pistons, when there was a more adequate level of oil.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just make sure the oil level is between the marks. The engine's still getting good lubrication even if it's on the lower mark. Too high an oil level will cause some serious damage from too much pressure.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:21 AM
makmini
Neutral
Originally Posted by kapps
Just make sure the oil level is between the marks. The engine's still getting good lubrication even if it's on the lower mark. Too high an oil level will cause some serious damage from too much pressure.
thanks - I've noticed my mileage has since gone up and idle is smooth now. I'm getting 33.1mpg on each tank now. I do about 90% highway driving on my commute.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fred3
You might also want to consider learning how to read a dipstick. It's not that difficult and you can do damage not only by allowing the oil to get too low, but by overfilling it too.
To be honest, the dipstick in the MINI (at least on the 06 S) is terrible, and considering that you have to twist it, cross your fingers, and pull at just the right angle to to get it out and once you do get it out, the markings aren't easy to read, or clear on what is "just right".

It's a shame too, since I suspect that many of the people who own MINIs are more then happy to get under the bonnet and make sure that their baby is well taken care of, which means that they are constantly having to battle with the crap-tastic dip-stick.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:18 AM
makmini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Dolmangar
To be honest, the dipstick in the MINI (at least on the 06 S) is terrible, and considering that you have to twist it, cross your fingers, and pull at just the right angle to to get it out and once you do get it out, the markings aren't easy to read, or clear on what is "just right".

It's a shame too, since I suspect that many of the people who own MINIs are more then happy to get under the bonnet and make sure that their baby is well taken care of, which means that they are constantly having to battle with the crap-tastic dip-stick.
yeah, I'm afraid of mangling something when I pull it out or try to put it back in.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the MCS dipstick leaves much to be desired. I use the method of taking a rag between my fingers and squeezing it around the dipstick. The oil will come off onto the rag where it's much easier to see.