Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006 | 06:21 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
I very much doubt MINI will release any public response to this. It will likely be dealt with on a customer by customer basis, as the vast majority of MINI owners are clueless with respect to this issue, as we would have been if not for the original poster troubleshooting a wiring problem. By the way, anything you do on your own will be used against you from MINI USA perspective. In other words, don't expect them to do anything for the rust after you've tried to fix it. And don't expect them to reimburse you for any costs incurred. I was told by MINI to do any body work at the dealer, just in case there were issues afterwards with respect to MINI covering the work.

Old 06-10-2006 | 06:24 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
I very much doubt MINI will release any public response to this. It will likely be dealt with on a customer by customer basis, as the vast majority of MINI owners are clueless with respect to this issue, as we would have been if not for the original poster troubleshooting a wiring problem. By the way, anything you do on your own will be used against you from MINI USA perspective. In other words, don't expect them to do anything for the rust after you've tried to fix it. And don't expect them to reimburse you for any costs incurred. I was told by MINI to do any body work at the dealer, just in case there were issues afterwards with respect to MINI covering the work.
Yeah - you are probably right. Well - at least I am aware of the problem right from the start of ownership and since I wash the car almost weekly I can inspect it every now and then to see if anything forms and bring it in the moment anything pops up.

Old 06-11-2006 | 12:24 AM
Xman
3rd Gear
Rust has been removed...

Well, I removed it. Except for the rust that already made its way under the paint (those infamous rust bubbles) it's all gone. I'll take care of the bubbles later with a metal brush and some POR 15.
I don't think MINI will ever take care of the rust itself, being only the consequence of the real problem (and I think I can do a better job at removing it anyway).
Hopefully they will one day fix whatever cause moisture to be trapped under the sill, being a new sill or whatever (I'm not holding my breath though).
My warranty expires in a few months anyway, so I would have to pay for whatever part they change (if any).
But in the mean time I don't want that rust to get any worse. I think we're all lucky to have caught it pretty early anyway (thanks to SpiderX).
I'll just make it part of my washing process, and keep an eye on it. And if it keeps on coming, I'll just paint the all thing with some POR 15 and call it a day.
I can't wait to see if MINI USA will ever acknowledge the design flaw that causes the moisture to be trapped under the weatherstrip though...

Old 06-11-2006 | 04:32 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Yeah - you are probably right. Well - at least I am aware of the problem right from the start of ownership and since I wash the car almost weekly I can inspect it every now and then to see if anything forms and bring it in the moment anything pops up.
All new MINI owners (or at least all who check this forum) are fortunate to know about this problem at the outset, rather than years into it. I've taken to lifting the weatherstripping after each wash to let the moisture evaporate. You may want to wax the area since you have a beautiful, brand new paint job under the weatherstripping, without any areas left unpainted.

Certainly don't let this detract from enjoying your new MINI. Happy motoring!!

Old 06-11-2006 | 08:17 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Just went out side, and there are extremly small traces of rust. It was at the joint thing. I sanded it down. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few months.

Old 06-11-2006 | 11:23 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Ya know after reviewing this thread and looking at where most of you live (at least those who list their locations) I'm wondering if this door sill rust issue reflects your location as a critical factor: generally humid midwestern, southern, and eastern climes, salt air and higher relative humidities on both coasts (my 86 Toy PU spent it's first three years on the California coast and it's really getting bad, rust-wise), living in "rust belt" states (again, much higher relative humidities), etc. etc. I have many friends who live at much drier inland climes (UT, AZ, NV, NM, CO) and higher altitudes and their MINIs, some going back to 02, do not retain moisture under the rubber door seals, nor do they have visible rust. One poster lives in Atlanta, but everytime I've been there the humidity has been oppressive, TSTL. I do know that the higher the general relative humidity, moisture is retained everywhere, and rubber tends to hold in moisture almost too well....

I'm not saying it is the *only* factor in the door sill rust equation--and I'm sure there are exceptions--but it's a very important one, and should not be overlooked, esp. if the workmanship on the door sill panel welds from the factory was sketchy to begin with. This could also explain why those of you with garages are experiencing this problem. Food for thought, JB

Old 06-11-2006 | 03:57 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Now this is rust ...

From the VW car show today in Irvine, CA ...

Old 06-11-2006 | 04:58 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Waterway4

Ouch! LOL Going out to apply another coat of wax on my MCS now... LOL !

Old 06-11-2006 | 07:28 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Ah yes German "engineering" indeed...

Old 06-11-2006 | 07:32 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East

That actually looks really neat!

Old 06-11-2006 | 07:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
That actually looks really neat!
welcome to rat stylz (more info here: http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...highlight=ratz)

Old 06-11-2006 | 09:20 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
THAT VW is a BAMF......for those of you not farmiliar with DANE COOK....IT IS A SWEET CAR!!!!!

Old 06-11-2006 | 09:41 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
I did a little 'experiment' (or actually, it did itself ). It's been bone dry around these parts for quite a while. A few days ago, it rained pretty good, and the car sat parked the entire time. A few hours after the rain, I peeked under the weatherstrip and it was soaking wet it's entire length along the sill. Obviously, the water was not driven there by road spray, wind or anything driving-related. It manages to naturally flow there due to it's design. The strip at the sill area is perforated, but not in the vertical areas or the window/roof areas. This is baffling to me, since I cannot see how it winds up there in the quantities it does. Given an opportunity to do so, I will take some time to run water from a hose at various points to see where the migration happens.

Old 06-12-2006 | 12:01 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Checked my car, March 04 build. The sill is all painted and no rust. Checked another MINI, August 03 build, not all painted and some rust. Both cars in Oregon.

Old 06-12-2006 | 12:18 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
BTW Greatberar - off subject.

Love the quote in your sig! Red Barchetta - Rush. One of my favorites by them.

back to subject.

Old 06-12-2006 | 01:33 PM
okraD La
4th Gear

Yeah but thats only SURFACE RUST......No need to worry, all cars get that....

Old 06-12-2006 | 02:29 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSlvrS
I spoke with the Service Adviser at MINI of Mt. View (Mt. View, CA) today. He said that the only issue of rust, that he's aware of, is on cars coming out of the flood areas of the gulf.
I asked that he set up an appointment with the regional Field Service Engineer to view my car (rust under both door weatherstripping). He said that they didn't know the FSE schedule until the first week of the month. At that time he'll call me so I can be available to bring the car in (with my luck it will be when I'm out of town on a business trip).
Well, my luck held true ... My SA called back and said the Field Service Engineer would be in town on Friday (6/23). Unfortunately I'll be in Arkansas so it will take another month before the FSE will be able to check my car.:impatient
I'd love to get in there and take the rust off but I know that as soon as I touch it MINI won't have anything to do with it (not that they'll be knocking on my door and offering to fix it).

Old 06-12-2006 | 02:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by okraD La
Yeah but thats only SURFACE RUST......No need to worry, all cars get that....
not true...he should definitely whine to his dealer and make sure they fix it ASAP, who cares that its been out of warranty for 20 years

Old 06-12-2006 | 09:50 PM
mciri
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper

My solution?

Yank your rocker covers, pop any loose plugs back in and sillicone the hell out of those plugs and any exposed seams. That should hold off the problem for a while, if it doesnt solve it.
Sounds nifty, but I have no idea what a "rocker cover" is... feel like posting some pics and turning this into a DIY?

Old 06-13-2006 | 09:25 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
This makes me feel better...

...mine's also a March 04 build. Hope it's rust free. I did notice a few other rust spots on the door hinges though.

Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
Checked my car, March 04 build. The sill is all painted and no rust. Checked another MINI, August 03 build, not all painted and some rust. Both cars in Oregon.

Old 06-13-2006 | 12:02 PM
blue agave
3rd Gear
This stuff is like the bird flu epidemic. Have an 08/03 MCS with the same problem as you all. Spot rust and wet under the gasket. At first I was a little nonplussed at not-so-red's feeking that we're being too fussy over some surface rust. After looking at my sill, the man is right that it's just surface rust. But the constant moisture is a chronic condition from which I think the car will be worse off over the long haul. I cast my vote for a class action suit against BMVV By the way, what's POR15? Is it just phosphoric acid? Is it standard auto parts stuff or more difficult to come by?

Old 06-13-2006 | 06:32 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I have a lot of water in this area, but no rust.

I had a closer look at what was getting wet and I could only guess that the water was getting into the weatherstrip from another location than the bottom. I found a "hole" in the smooth exterior of the weatherstip at the location in the first pic.

The next pic is a close-up of the "hole"

It's a little dark, but it shows a gap in the weatherstrip. I think that this is allowing water to run down the gap by the window and then it is going inside the strip until it gets to the sill area where it is just dripping/soaking out.

Old 06-13-2006 | 09:51 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blue agave
By the way, what's POR15? Is it just phosphoric acid? Is it standard auto parts stuff or more difficult to come by?
Earlier in the thread, there was a link to the POR website. It is a special rust resistant paint. For more info, check the website.

Old 06-14-2006 | 01:22 AM
SpiderX
|
6th Gear
I heard rom the body shop that fixed my car that BMW/MINI is "all upset and considering a recall" if you want to see a fix from BMW/MINI keep letting them know how you feel ...... this is obviously a design/production/materials flaw over and above normal wear and tear for a modern car......

Old 06-14-2006 | 07:10 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Checked my drivers side yesterday and found a little rust, but nothing major...yet.

Quick Reply: Rust :: door sill area of '02-'05 MINIs