Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Auto lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do it yourself?

how much was the total.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golden_child
Did you do it yourself?

how much was the total.

Nope, haven't even called Classic to get a quote on the parts, been out of town traveling.
Did Internal Failure of lock actuator mean that the lock actuator solenoid burned up?
Maybe it will have to wait till Spring.

If it was a Saturn it would still be working, those freaking Lucas parts are haunting the MINI.
I will fix the stupid thing myself, still using the key to lock it.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:25 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
ProfessorDave

Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
That's kookie talk. I have 800 miles left before my warranty is up, and will be having this fixed (drivers side) Friday (I'll post what the exact problem is...don't want to be one of those who don't provide closure!). But I'd live with it if I were out of warranty.
Did you get yours fixed?
What was the part that failed? Did you get your old part back and if so can you post a picture of it.
Anybody out there with pictures of this part???

I have found some after market solenoid actuators that may work and have better reliability. If it work's out I will post a how to with pictures.
I only want to do this once.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:45 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Bumpity bump....
Anyone got pictures of a MINI door lock assembly?

Old 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check RealOEM.com

they'll have line drawings.....

Matt

Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
Bumpity bump....
Anyone got pictures of a MINI door lock assembly?

Norm03s,

It appears that you want to retrofit the actuator somehow, but I don't think that is worth your time or money. 80% chance chance it is your actuator. You will need to remove the window and regulator and then adjust window. A spanner is needed to remove the window. You can get this at MINI or I can email you the dimensions to source/make your own.

If you want to know 100% you can unplug the actuator connector and check for power and ground while activating the lock. This will rule out the bc and wiring. This will require the wiring diagram and knowledge of how the lock is actuated. Set up a matrix that reflects the voltage at each pin when it is locked/unlocked and compare it to the working lock. This will give you enough info to figure it out.

My advice is to replace the actuator if you are not willing to use the dealer or diagnose it yourself.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:59 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
DIY, thats me

Originally Posted by 002
Norm03s,

It appears that you want to retrofit the actuator somehow, but I don't think that is worth your time or money. 80% chance chance it is your actuator. You will need to remove the window and regulator and then adjust window. A spanner is needed to remove the window. You can get this at MINI or I can email you the dimensions to source/make your own.

If you want to know 100% you can unplug the actuator connector and check for power and ground while activating the lock. This will rule out the bc and wiring. This will require the wiring diagram and knowledge of how the lock is actuated. Set up a matrix that reflects the voltage at each pin when it is locked/unlocked and compare it to the working lock. This will give you enough info to figure it out.

My advice is to replace the actuator if you are not willing to use the dealer or diagnose it yourself.
002, Retrofit the actuator, that’s exactly what I'm looking to do if the part I have found will work/fit. I understand this is a time consuming tedious job so I only want to do it once. Apparently the actuator fails regularly and is an expensive fix just in part cost. I think it's most likely the actuator but will check for voltage on activation and resistance of actuator, which are nothing more than a specialized solenoid, easy to diagnose.
I would really appreciate your offer on the tool specification. I make my own tools or modify others when needed. Please send that info for the spanner tool.

Dr Obnxs

Check RealOEM.com
they'll have line drawings.....
I checked RealOEM couldn't find any info.
Just want to see if the actuators I have found are adaptable to the MINI lock assembly and a picture would help rather than an exploratory mission and disassembly of the entire door.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 AM
namwob
5th Gear
Mine was key only, drivers side. Remote & interior toggle both worked fine for the pass. side. To check mine I just smacked the door near the handle/ actuator area while clicking the remote. Gee it unlocked or unlocked. Old lucas trick. That ruled out the body control module being at fault. After a week or so of smack & click therapy it started working fine again. Thats been a good 6 mo. months now. Worth a try!

Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Thanks namwob

Originally Posted by namwob
Mine was key only, drivers side. Remote & interior toggle both worked fine for the pass. side. To check mine I just smacked the door near the handle/ actuator area while clicking the remote. Gee it unlocked or unlocked. Old lucas trick. That ruled out the body control module being at fault. After a week or so of smack & click therapy it started working fine again. Thats been a good 6 mo. months now. Worth a try!
I'll give it a try.

By the way, don't you work at a place in Texas that does ceramic coating?

Old 12-25-2006, 12:43 PM
namwob
5th Gear
I'll give it a try.

By the way, don't you work at a place in Texas that does ceramic coating?
Yes, but if you want to coat the actuator guts I'd suggest a graphite molly combo. Kidding--- maybe. Now, the window guide rails YES<YES<YES Dry film lubricats are sweet.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:11 PM
5th Gear
norm03s,
I am also extreemly diy. The only reason I can see to retrofit this would be for personal satisfaction of the job, not reliability. Between my family and myself, we have 2 bmw's and 3 minis with over 80k miles each. None of them have had a failed actuator. "Most likely to fail" and "frequently fail" are two differrent things. I think this is a case of the former.

If you don't already know, these actuators use motors that reverse the polarity to lock/unlock rather than two actuators. You'll have one more hurdle if your car has the doulbe lock feature.

If you are that motivated to do it, go for it! I'll help if I can.

Oh, and I will get you the specs for the spanner this week.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:17 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
Yes, but if you want to coat the actuator guts I'd suggest a graphite molly combo. Kidding--- maybe. Now, the window guide rails YES<YES<YES Dry film lubricats are sweet.
That would be great idea to dry film lubricate the window guides that would be trick. No grease smears on the glass.
I was trying to remember your sceen name to recommend your shop for coating a header the other day.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
It's getting warm again

Time to revisit this thread again to see if anyone else has input on this problem.
It sure would be nice to just use the remote to unlock my door.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 AM
greenmanalishi
2nd Gear
My passenger door lock has never sporadically worked since I’ve owned the car. Recently (past 2-4 months) it has completely stopped working.
I've got an appointment with MINI on Wednesday. Should be covered by aftermarket warranty. It's way too inconvenient.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Please post the results here

Originally Posted by greenmanalishi
My passenger door lock has never sporadically worked since I’ve owned the car. Recently (past 2-4 months) it has completely stopped working.
I've got an appointment with MINI on Wednesday. Should be covered by aftermarket warranty. It's way too inconvenient.
Can you ask for the old parts when they write up the repair ticket then post pictures?
I'm out of warranty and want to see what is failing.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
greenmanalishi
2nd Gear
Can you ask for the old parts when they write up the repair ticket then post pictures?
I'm out of warranty and want to see what is failing.
will do!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
norm03s
6th Gear