Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C weak/temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
capnmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has it ever happen to any of you that when you have the A/C on shifting gears is not as smooth at all? (especially from 1st to 2nd and 3rd)

It seems to me that the transmission doesnt like to have the A/C on

Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
tuckersinmo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
That seems like a lack of refrigerant. Are you still under warranty, take it back to the dealer and ask why the A/C doesn't work. Do you have an Auto A/C as well, I wonder if it would have anything to do with interior air temp sensors? I've also found that with more frequent use (as the summer progresses) the A/C feels like it cools even quicker than it did at the begining of the summer.
Yes, it is under warranty still. However, they claim it is normal, and that is as cold as it should get. I just can't believe it though because it's simply blowing warm air with a hint of cool. Yes, It is auto ac. I guess I will play service tech roulette and take it back to them. I simply can't imagine that this is normal because it sure is not acceptable.

Scott

Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckersinmo
Yes, it is under warranty still. However, they claim it is normal, and that is as cold as it should get. I just can't believe it though because it's simply blowing warm air with a hint of cool. Yes, It is auto ac. I guess I will play service tech roulette and take it back to them. I simply can't imagine that this is normal because it sure is not acceptable.

Scott
Whats understood as universal functioning A/C is full power, recirulate 30 degrees below ambient at the vent. I was close when I checked mine at the begining of the summer and got to that point after closing the passenger side vents. Pretty simple test with a thermometer should tell you if its working. I think there is a way to put the auto A/C on low and at full fan power, let it run a minute and test at the vent.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:36 PM
sjino
1st Gear
Originally Posted by capnmini
Has it ever happen to any of you that when you have the A/C on shifting gears is not as smooth at all? (especially from 1st to 2nd and 3rd)

It seems to me that the transmission doesnt like to have the A/C on
Yes, I've noticed this very thing. I don't think it's related to the transmission, but rather the engine not pulling and revving as smoothly. From a stop I find myself giving the car more gas just to keep it from bogging down. Only happens with AC on.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
tuckersinmo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Whats understood as universal functioning A/C is full power, recirulate 30 degrees below ambient at the vent. I was close when I checked mine at the begining of the summer and got to that point after closing the passenger side vents. Pretty simple test with a thermometer should tell you if its working. I think there is a way to put the auto A/C on low and at full fan power, let it run a minute and test at the vent.
I'll have to check it out when I go home tonight. I'll post results later.

Scott

Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The a/c fan circuit cuts in when the underhood temp reaches a certain temp to maintain an ambient temp for optimal performance.If the fan is seized the ambient temp becomes too high and the a/c system will not shed the heat from the car, the result is a/c that doesnt work properly.Mini has a spec,the correct test is to put a thermometer into the vent after 5-10 minutes and read the resulting temp.The spec is compared to your cars reading and it is in or out of spec.The tech will then go through a check list of items to identify the problem,or problems.Also make sure your a/c is set to recirculate for max cooling and your dash outlet is set to the upper position .It is easier to cool 80 degree indoor air in car than 110 degree outdoor air.It saves fuel and makes the a/c last longer and work better.As far as leaks are concerned,if its in warranty get them to do a leak test and fix it.The old way of fixing a leak was to top it up.This is illegal and the tech can lose his or her license and be subject to a large fine.The Mini a/c system is like any other a/c system except that its mobile.The most common leak on automotive a/cs are the compressor shaft seals because they dry out when not used.In northern climates you should cycle it according to the owners manual suggestion,this lubricates the seals and stops them from deteriorating.Just so you know when you use defrost in the heating mode most cars cycle the a/c to remove moisture and defrost the windshield.This is just a simple explanation of the basics, it can get more complicated if the car is older and the system components have lots of miles on them.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
tuckersinmo
2nd Gear
Okay, I held a typical outdoor thermometer up to the vent on my Wife Mini. the car had been sitting in the garage all day, and after the storms in St. Louis today, the temperature outside was in the 70's. I ran the AC on full blast with recirculated air for about 5 minutes, and the coldest it got was 62. Actually, the longer I ran it the warmer it got.
I then decided to try the same thing on my Toyota Tacoma. My truck got down to 46 in about 3 minutes and probably would have got colder if I could take it.
So, it is obvious to me that the Mini's air conditioner either sucks, or it is in need of repair. Off to the dealer it will go, but what do I do if they insist it is fine like last time?

Scott

Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 PM
HaveBulldogWillTravel
2nd Gear
Take your thermometer with you and show the

Mini techs that you know it's not right. With the A/C on full and the recirc. "on," you should be blowing 41-45 degrees F depending on the outside temp. Your car is WAY off. If they insist that it is normal, then you should insist on seeing a regional Mini rep. He won't BS you.
It's likely that your car has developed a leak in the system. Sometimes it's from a stone that has hit the Condenser and ruptured it. This scenario will cost you money. The same applies if you had been in a collision and developed a leak as a result. Hopefully it's just a bad seal or hose. Often a dealer will just recharge the system. I don't like this method. They need to find the leak, evac. the system, repair it, vacuum the system, and then recharge it. Best of luck!

Off to the dealer it will go, but what do I do if they insist it is fine like last time?

Scott

Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 PM
hudmg0kw
3rd Gear
GreatbearThe temp gauge used in MINIs is not the 'normal' type of direct reading gauge that most are used to. The gauge will begin climbing after the temp passes about 100F then settle at midscale at about 180F. It will stay put until the temp passes roughly 230 degrees before it quickly hits full scale at about 250. By electronically 'fixing' the gauge at one spot over the wide range of operating temps, the engineers felt the driver would not see fluctuations as a problem. The real problem with this idea is that it completely nullifies being able to spot trends in the temperature range.

What a total bunch of b******t (that's aimed at MINI not you Greatbear.) I purchased the chrono package for 2 reasons:

1. Speedometer placement: To all those who disagree, and prefer a center mounted speedo, I respect your preferance but that debate is on other threads.

2. Water temp. gauge: I actually use it to spot the "trends" Greatbear speaks of. I also monitor the oil pressure gauge (less frequently than water temp.) and monitor the oil temp. when running hard over longer distances.

After seeing the water temp. gauge stay consistantly on 180, I thought the MINI had the best cooling system ever. Experience should have told me something was amiss. What's the purpose of having a gauge if it functions the same as a indicator light?

Shame on you MINI engineers. We are smarter than you give us credit for.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 PM
tuckersinmo
2nd Gear
Update to our AC problems. Took car to dealer today. Dealer claims there is no leak, but said they had to recharge the system. Now it is blowing at about 38 to 40 deg. They also said that unless the auto temp is set on "low," it will allow outside air to flow in even when set to recirculate. I always thought when set to recirculate that blocked off all outside air. According to dealer that is not so. Also, doesn't the fact that the AC needed to be rechraged mean that there was in fact a leak?

Scott

Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 PM
dix
6th Gear
Update to our AC problems. Took car to dealer today. Dealer claims there is no leak, but said they had to recharge the system. Now it is blowing at about 38 to 40 deg. They also said that unless the auto temp is set on "low," it will allow outside air to flow in even when set to recirculate. I always thought when set to recirculate that blocked off all outside air. According to dealer that is not so. Also, doesn't the fact that the AC needed to be rechraged mean that there was in fact a leak?

Scott
Bet There WAS a leak!! I live in Mo. too. Who was the dealer? I want to avoid them. I have climate control and it's been a bit slow in the cooling dept. too. I'm hoping the humidity and extreme heat might have something to do with it. Mini's are kinda British-Odd on electrical.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 AM
capnmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dix
Bet There WAS a leak!! I live in Mo. too. Who was the dealer? I want to avoid them. I have climate control and it's been a bit slow in the cooling dept. too. I'm hoping the humidity and extreme heat might have something to do with it. Mini's are kinda British-Odd on electrical.
Afterall they are actually British!!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just cleaning the condenser can make a world of difference.

I took my MINI to my local independent MINI mechanic and he checked the refrigerant level. It was fine, but he pumped it out, vaccumed any excess moisture out of the system, and replaced the refrigerant.

Then he used a foaming condenser coil cleaner and I was amazed at the amount of junk that came out of there. I am going to remove my bumper and clean it thoroughly when I get a chance.

After all of this ($40), my weak cooling system works great again.

Now I need to replace that stinky cabin air filter. . ..

Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
My '05 MC A/C is very cold.

Some A/C facts:

When the condenser coil is dirty, the system can actually run as efficiently with lower levels of refig, as a system with a clean condenser and full refrig.

It is possible to lose a very small amount of refrig without a leak, usually so low as to not matter. If you are low enough to fill, there is a leak.

With outside ambiant temperature at 79, the A/C should blow ~45 degrees, when checked with a good A/C (stick) thermometer in the vent. (Home A/C should blow between 52-55 degrees.

R-134a that is used in all new cars back to the early to mid 90s, does not get nearly as cold as the old R12 refrigerant.

When you turn on the defroster in your car in the winter, the A/C (condenser) also comes on, at least with the auto system, I would guess the manual system does also.

Steve

Old 07-06-2008, 06:47 PM
LiquidYellowS2002
1st Gear
AC compressor doesn't come on when engine idles.

Another thread hijack (sorry):

I've searched around and have yet to see this particular question addressed, so here goes.

The problem:

My new to me bought in February, 2002 MCS' 6 spd manual with automatic AC doesn't blow cold air when the car is at idle. Strangely, it will if the car is moving and seems to blow cold air. Some readings off of an interdynamics automotive vent thermometer with ambient temperature of 90 degrees F today.

Car running for 5 plus minutes in the parking lot of Advance Auto with MAX AC (LO setting) on, recirculated air on and only the top vents blowing:
90 degrees F.

Drove the car back home from Advance auto w/thermo in vent. This was about a 5 minute trip:

49 degrees F.

At home, I pulled into the driveway and left the engine idling. I popped the hood, and I think I heard the A/C compressor shut off. Sure enough, when I got back into the driver seat, the thermometer was climbing steadily back up to ambient temp.

As the car is new to me and this is the first cooling season I've had to run it, I don't know if this is something that just started happening or the previous owner had problems with (the heater sure worked with now problems).

So, what would cause the A/C compressor to shut off at idle? I don't think that the power steering fan has siezed because I hear it whining at all times, faster when I turn the wheel at slow speeds. (It's always the last thing I hear slowing down when shutting off the car). Also, I don't think it is the fuse as the AC light is on solid green. I appreciate any help?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
MinisRcheeky
1st Gear
I Gots Ta Have More Cowbell!!!

I have a 2004 MCS that just turned over 60K owned from new. The car spent the first 9-1/2 yrs in the Pacific Northwest in Longview Washington. The a/c didn't get used too much, as the summers are fairly mild and pretty short. No problems with the a/c. The wife and I moved to Maui Hawaii about 7 months ago. We live in Kihei where it's mid-eighties for the winter months, and low-nineties in the summer months. The a/c is now on ALWAYS!!! It works OK, but it just doesn't seem to get as cold as I think it should? It takes a little while too after first starting it, for the a/c to try to 'catch up' with the sweltering cabin. I did get the windows tinted, and I have a solid vinyl checkerboard on the sun/moon roof, and I keep a sun shade in the front window. All these things help keep the Mini cooler for sure, but I'd like to feel the "bite" of an extra cold a/c. I've never had a recover/recharge on the system done since new, so it's probably time huh. Should I take it to the MINI Dealer on Maui, or just go to a good Garage for a recharge? The going rate anyone??? ($100 I think?) Thanks for taking the time to read this! MOTOR ON EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MinisRcheeky