Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

12 v air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:40 PM
kamakazi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does any one know of a quality 12 v air compressor? Preferably something that could stow in one of the small side panels in the hatch? Or elsewhere in the mini?

also is there ary advantage of SLIME liquid sealant over the aeosol Fix-a-flat type of sealant?

The mini mobility kit at 150 dollars seems quite overpriced, is there anything special about it?

Old 03-17-2003, 01:06 AM
photoguy
1st Gear
Any discount or auto parts store should have something that works. I've bought several cheapos over the years and they generally work for a long, long time.

If you want quality stuff, though, Griot's Garage generally has something decent:

Griot's garage Mini air compressor

Old 03-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Pebble
4th Gear
>>Any discount or auto parts store should have something that works. I've bought several cheapos over the years and they generally work for a long, long time.
>>
>>If you want quality stuff, though, Griot's Garage generally has something decent:
>>
>>Griot's garage Mini air compressor
>>
>>
>>
>>

I got a $12 one from Autozone. The needle jumps around a bit so I would recomend a secondary tyre pressure guage to check you have the presure you want.

This saved me the day after I bought it when I got a slow leak, 2lbs/inch lost in about 4 hours, because of a screw.

So. Get a cheap compressor and a good quality guage.
:smile:

Old 03-17-2003, 08:33 AM
jwtucker
3rd Gear
So. Get a cheap compressor and a good quality guage.
And one of those cheap pen-type guages DO NOT count as "good quality".

If you want an accurate guage, be prepared to spend a few bucks on it. I use a Michelin Vigil guage, and I swear by it - unlike the cheapo pen-guages that I have seen deviate by 10 PSI or more.

As for the slime/fix-a-flat question, this is my take: I believe slime needs to be in the tire all the time, not just after you get a puncture. This means that whoever changes your tires will probably be an enemy for life, because the stuff is an absolute mess when it comes time to replace the tires. Fix-a-flat may make a mess, but you only use it when you absolutely have no other choice, so it can sort of be forgiven.

I carry fix-a-flat and a 12V compressor I picked up at Wally*World.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Minae
2nd Gear