Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Idle vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:37 PM
RAin geAR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle vibrations

I'm getting lots of vibrations from the car at idle. Car and power is smooth on the freeway. Where should I start troubleshooting?

Old 06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Same problem for me.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
explain vibrations....

steering wheel?
rough idle?
exhaust?
radio?
a/c?

Old 06-03-2006, 05:26 AM
RAin geAR
1st Gear
The entire car vibrates. Not just the steering wheel. The idle is not rough. The exhaust is not moving around. The vibration is also consistent w/ & w/o radio or a/c.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:47 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Sounds like a motor mount.....

Old 06-03-2006, 08:14 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Mine is just like rain Gears. The whole car shakes, and makes a rather loud vibration noise. My MINI is an automatic if it matters. When I put the car in neutral or put in "park", the noise goes away. I am going to take a video of it today while I am sitting at a light.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
motor or tranny mount...

Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Meh...I didn't do the video. But, my SES light came on today for the 4th bloody time and I am going to have to go the dealership again. Anyone know where I can read the lemon laws for Texas?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
[sarcasm]way to stick thru it

bit*h gets fussy get rid of her...[/sarcasm]

Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MSFIT
[sarcasm]way to stick thru it

bit*h gets fussy get rid of her...[/sarcasm]

I don't get it?

Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
I have been through plenty of problems with my mini...you get them fixed and move on. Reason we have warranty. I am at 49k and taking my car in one last time under warranty for an issue that just arose (bad t-map sensor)

You're gonna give up the best handling car because of a few CEL's...

Thats like getting in a relationship with soemone and you have a few fights and just end it...

ps...motor mounts have been known to blow and leak too...check under the hood

Old 06-03-2006, 10:33 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I have been through plenty of problems with my mini...you get them fixed and move on. Reason we have warranty. I am at 49k and taking my car in one last time under warranty for an issue that just arose (bad t-map sensor)

You're gonna give up the best handling car because of a few CEL's...

Thats like getting in a relationship with soemone and you have a few fights and just end it...

ps...motor mounts have been known to blow and leak too...check under the hood
I guess I was unclear.

The reason I brought up the lemon law was not because of the idle vibrations. It is because of the SES light that has come on for the fourth time for the same reason. Just a little frustrating to have to drive 180 miles roundtrip to the dealership, then wait for 4 hours at the dealership, every other month to fix the same problem over and over again; especially in a car that is less than a year old.

Regardless, my problems are not about the original topic of rain gear's "idle vibration". I guess I am planning on heading to San Antonio on Tuesday so I will be sure to post the fix for this issue when I return .

Old 06-03-2006, 10:35 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
you should talk to the dealer about finding a shop out near you that will honor their warranty...I know also that you can go through the dealer for a third party warranty that will cover work done at joe schmoe's car shop.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
you should talk to the dealer about finding a shop out near you that will honor their warranty...I know also that you can go through the dealer for a third party warranty that will cover work done at joe schmoe's car shop.
Good to know! Thanks for the info .

Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 AM
RAin geAR
1st Gear
Thanks for the feedback guys! Any advice on how to troubleshoot the motor mount? I don't see any excessive movement on the engine at idle.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:55 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
If it's the lower mount you would not see too much action. It's only going to take a little movement in any of the mounts to give you a little shake or a kind of buzz inside the car ( there are no symptomes while driving, yes? )

Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 AM
RAin geAR
1st Gear
haven't noticed anything while driving. sorry if i'm a little slow here, but i'm still not sure how to inspect the motor mounts.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RAin geAR
haven't noticed anything while driving. sorry if i'm a little slow here, but i'm still not sure how to inspect the motor mounts.
Thats ok the car is quick....

The lower mount will require ramps or jacking the car up & jack stands.
Start the car, with a small pry bar or big screw driver, see if you can isolate the buzz. There may be nothing wrong with the motor mounts. If true you should be able to sniff the problem out searching for a loose component. If it is a mount, with the pry bar, wedge the lower mount & see if the noise goes away.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I have a nasty rattle/vibration which I thought was the exhaust, come to find out it was my back-up light is loose.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 AM
HyperBlue
1st Gear
I'm getting this strange rattling noise coming from under the hood especially when the AC is turned on. The noise can only be heard when the car is stationary/ idling. Any idea what is? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
idle vibrations -

I'm experiencing quite a lot of what was discussed in this thread, my engine light kept coming on and off and on and off and the dealer reprogrammed it even though the fault code pointed to an oxygen sensor, but I read somewhere that others having this issue had a leak from an intake duct at the supercharger and they replaced it and it resolved the problem, rough idle was gone and now it was smoother

I'm trying to convince the dealer I have the same problem but they won't do anything about it...the car feels under powered for a cooper S...

I get heavy vibrations when I accelerate.... my seat buzzes and I can feel the vibrations in my chest, back... all over... not comfortable when you are trying to concentrate on the road...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
Having the same stupid vibration at idle, motor is running very smooth!! Looks like the mounts are the problem. Anyone changed the mounts and resolved the problem ?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
motor mounts

I already had the hydraulic engine mount replaced over 2 years ago cause of engine rattle when shutting off the engine.

I'm wondering if this all happened because of negligence and now my car has some sort of internal damage that can not be traced until my warranty runs out.... i'm not sure anymore....

vibrations are normal but within reason... it's like a vibrating massage chair but without the massage... just irritation...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
still getting vibrations at 2100 RPM

I got my car back from the dealer, they said they could not find any problems with any codes, transmission, engine, motor mounts, tranny mounts etc. but I still have the same problem....

Engine makes loud vibrations that seem to be vibrating the exhaust at exactly 2100 RPM, and it buzzes my seat.

It happens in Neutral, Park, or if I'm driving at 2K RPM, I can feel the vibrations buzzing my seat, maybe at that RPM the engine is vibrating the exhaust causing it to touch the undercarriage of the car?

It's really really annoying. I also checked my fuel economy on the highway on a short 30 min @ 100K /hr drive my fuel consumption was 6.8 liters per hundred kilometers. I don’t think I have any sensor problems/vacuum leaks again the dealer looked for problems like these and could not confirm any.

I even looked underneath the car and found that the bottom of the driver’s side what appears to be the bottom of the transmission and was stained a bit with dark looking grease/oil. I'm hoping it was from the valve cover gasket leak this leaked all the way down the passenger side of the engine and covered the drive shaft. The dealer would have mentioned this since the car has been in so many times for these problems. I also recently had an oil change so if the transmission was leaking I hope they would have said something.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Cheers[/FONT]

Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Do you have a header? Is it stock? Have you checked your exhaust and hanger mounts?

Quick Reply: Idle vibrations