Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

replacing the cabin filter.....help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
replacing the cabin filter.....help please

I need to replace my cabin filter. I am able to release the front(towards the car's interior) edge of the filter cover by lifting the edge away from those 2 tabs. But how do I release and remove entirely the filter cover or get it to hinge down and away to get more room to pull out the old filter and put in the new? Are there two tabs along the back (toward the engine compartment) that I cannot see or are there hinges? this is an '04 MC

thanks

Old 06-19-2006, 04:18 AM
strz0001
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my 02, they were tabs on the far edge that were stubborn to release. Eventually I rotated the lose end down and it was simple to replace.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:36 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my '03 MCS there are 4 tabs, I think.There is no hinge. Release the tabs
and the cover comes off completely.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Red
6th Gear
Nice to know how to do it, but isn't this covered under the maintainance program?

regads,
Red

Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
andrsncpr
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Ive been meaning to ask this very same question. How do you change the
cabin air filter? where is it located? Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:14 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
replacement is covered by the maintenance program at their schedule...but I want it replaced earlier as I had a gasoline spill in the car and I figure the charcoal filter must've been working overtime removing odors

on Pro-Mini's website their is a step by step on how to change the filter, but I guess it wasn't detailed enough for my little mind as I couldn't get the cover off fully...but I will try again when the filter arrives

Old 07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Cabin Filter replacement..Geez, what a pain

Well, my recently purchased 2004 MCS (has the auto climate control) has been gone thru by me changing the oil, oil filter and air filter.

The Mini only had 18,450 mi on it but I decided to have a go at the Cabin Air filter since the others were so filthy. According to the web articles it is supposed to be very easy and I suppose it is once you know what to expect!

Here is the scoop.

In the 2004 at least, there are 4 tabs (screw holes but no screws), 2 front and 2 back plastic tabs that lock the cover in place. After a bit of jostling, I was able to release the filter door, which came completely off. and the filter was like a snake coiled and forced up inside the cabin filter holder(obviously someone did not know what they were doing).

Upon removal, it also was filthy so I blew it out with my compressor (It was an oem and did not appear to be of high quality) until I get a new one ordered (this time I will get a charcoal or electrostatic filter, this will have to do)

Now, came the fun (not) When I went to re-install it, it seemed apparently way too long to fit inside the holder!.

I took a big flashlight under it and discovered a 4" or so "well" like compartment on the driver's side of the compartment where you tuck the "excess" portion of the filter. NOW IT FIT PERFECTLY!!! (the filter is positioned in an "L" shape)

Now that I had it refitted, the fun began anew...there are these little fin like affairs that fit between the filter (driver's side again) and the filter holder that must be placed before locking those tabs again...Well it is all done and I am going to get a new filter and not wait for Mini Inspection #1. RENO is one dusty place, but this car came out of Cincinnati before going to

Canada according to carfax!!

I figure about every 5000-8000 mi is probably the correct interval depending upon your climate

Hope this helps some folks ...I must be a glutton for punishment since almost everything I have done with that Mini is different than most cars (Oh I forgot to mention that lovely hose clamp you must remove and re-install when changing out the air filter in the engine...what a nightmare that one was!.....I think they plan it that way!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
and you have no trouble unclipping the box?

Try as I miht, I could not get the filter cover off those clips...and I have small fingers, so it's not an issue of being unable to fit in that cramped space...I just can't get enough leverage to get it undone!

I managed only one of the 4 clips. Tried a stubby screwdriver and a bottle opener, but not enough room to leverage them.

Help! I know this is an ancient thread, but I've found nothing about this. I guess my '06 vert must be unique!

And yes, it has been replaced a few times, but never by me...
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Wow someone resurrected a thread with a defibulator for this one.....

A how to for future reference with photos:

http://www.geekshocker.com/Claire/maint/cabinFilter.php

A video how to shows how simple this really is.

http://www.doityourself.com/video/Ho...lter-208498258

Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
ntmid8r
3rd Gear
http://www.atozautolights.com/2006-M...OPER-7557.html

One of the best prices Ive seen on the web.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Hey - that IS a great price - thanks! ...hope it's not made of Charmin...

And thanks Raven...I actually found that video and watched it prior to trying - makes it look so easy!

I feel like a real pansy, since I apparently am the ONLY MINI owner incapable of doing this simple task!

And while I am "just" a girl, I have restored cars, rebuilt engines, and done other pretty serious car work back in my wild youth.
Feel pretty silly that this has me stymied.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
woxof
Neutral
Too funny that I just found this resurrected thread. Apparently the cabin filter cover "just fell off" according to my wife. She didn't know what it was and I noticed it laying on the passenger floorboard but also had no idea. I quickly figured it out by assuming it fell from under the dashboard. I too noticed the screw holes with no screws and just assumed that the maintenance guys failed to put them back on (they've been known to leave tools in the car). I had no idea there was even a filter for the cabin! Now I have to figure out where to get a new one as the one on my '04 is original and, as you can imagine, filthy.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
I STILL have not gotten mine off - I managed, with much brute force, to get the front clips off, but no way I can get hte back ones out...guess I'm going down to the dealer soon!

Too funny that yours jsut fell out - probably the service guys had trouble getting it back in, and it finally freed itself.
Wish that would happen to mine!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a link to a slide show on how to replace the filter.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...view=slideshow

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Thanks Pat - those are great closeups -
My problem is I can't get past step 1! The cover is on so tight, and even though I've got small hands, jsut can't get the leverage on those back clips.

Maybe I'll try running a hairdryer to soften up the plastic...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
ntmid8r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by woxof
Too funny that I just found this resurrected thread. Apparently the cabin filter cover "just fell off" according to my wife. She didn't know what it was and I noticed it laying on the passenger floorboard but also had no idea. I quickly figured it out by assuming it fell from under the dashboard. I too noticed the screw holes with no screws and just assumed that the maintenance guys failed to put them back on (they've been known to leave tools in the car). I had no idea there was even a filter for the cabin! Now I have to figure out where to get a new one as the one on my '04 is original and, as you can imagine, filthy.
http://www.atozautolights.com/2006-M...OPER-7557.html

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
rnelsonee1
1st Gear
Yeah, it hurt my fingers but I just pulled *really* hard. Maybe try putting a small rag between you and the tabs when pulling - then it won't dig into your fingers as much.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Bimjo
2nd Gear
Oh man, I just went and pulled mine in my '06. Looks like it might be the original. Yuck! Grotty. Just ordered a couple from AtoZ. Thanks for the link ntimd8r, cheapest one I've seen so far.