Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can the 'burble' be buried?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:09 AM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the burble out of the engine is like taking the HEMI out of a 426!

Solutions - sell your MINI and get something else, swap the engine with a nice SMART - TOYOTA - HONDA engine, never start the car and turn it into a museum piece, or simply turn up the radio!

Burble away baby!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...exhaust+burble

See post #31 of this thread to eliminate burble.

Sacrilege!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
muggy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Will @ M7 Tuning
No Replacement for Displacement! Ohhrah!
I think we can all agree that today this statement no longer fully holds. Clearly displacement can be replaced by technology, and smaller engines are doing so much more these days.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by muggy
I think we can all agree that today this statement no longer fully holds. Clearly displacement can be replaced by technology, and smaller engines are doing so much more these days.
Nope, we can't all agree! I don't think that statement is true at all, not clearly nor otherwise. When you can show me a 400 HP 370 ft.lbs MINI that is easy to drive for a 16 yr old and will have no major problems for 200K miles, maybe I'll think about considering the possible validity of what you just said.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
LOL the burble is computer controlled. i have never heard something so ridiculous! it is caused by the baffle design in the mufflers. it is intentional from the factory, but it is definitly NOT caused by some sort of ecu programming. if it WAS caused by the ecu, then that would mean that when you let off the gas, the computer would tell the motor to run rich and that would cause the popping/backfire. why would mini do that? that would hurt fuel economy.

it sometimes amazes me what people will believe. change your exhaust system and your popping will go away. it will be louder, but it will go away. you can also use some autozone mufflers too ( cheap quiet bad boys) and it will go away.

scott

Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I notice that my burble changes with the way that I drive. When I went to the Dragon, I did 900-some miles on the highway and then spent 3-4 days doing hard driving on the surrounding small roads. The pop-pop-pop after a strong rev was very pronounced on the first few days and then started to settle down. It also re-appeared when I got home (after another 900 mile highway/cruise-control trip) for a few days whenever I got agressive. After a few days of around-town driving, the pops subsided (didn't disappear, but weren't there as often).

I'm wondering if the ECU learns what highway driving is like and the pops increase with hard driving after several hundred miles of cruising. Maybe you should drive your car like a bat out of heck all the time and the pops will subside!

Just a thought.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by defylogik
LOL the burble is computer controlled. i have never heard something so ridiculous! it is caused by the baffle design in the mufflers. it is intentional from the factory, but it is definitly NOT caused by some sort of ecu programming. if it WAS caused by the ecu, then that would mean that when you let off the gas, the computer would tell the motor to run rich and that would cause the popping/backfire. why would mini do that? that would hurt fuel economy.

it sometimes amazes me what people will believe. change your exhaust system and your popping will go away. it will be louder, but it will go away. you can also use some autozone mufflers too ( cheap quiet bad boys) and it will go away.

scott
First, let me say, very cool shark! It's been a long time since I have seen one of those 3D images, and I've never seen one in motion! Very cool! Where can I see more?

Now, back to the subject at hand...I'm pretty sure I've read a number of threads about the burble that have specifically mentioned the cause WAS in fact introduced by MINI as a 'throw-back' or 'tribute' to the old British racing cars. And, it is caused by injecting un-burnt fuel into the exhaust, and yes, it does minimally affect the MPG's.

Anyone else recall reading these types of comments/threads?

Old 06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Wizard
Neutral
Cubis inches - Exhaust Burble

[quote=stevecars60]"There is no subsitution for cubic inches"
quote]

I have to agree, cubic inches are "it". My brother drives a Factory Five Racing Coupe with a 521 cubic inch Ford aluminum block racing engine that puts out over 800 HP... runs straight sidepipes on it and it turns heads in the next county when he romps on it. Also is good at blowing all the leaves out of his garage when he backs in!

I do love the high rpm and sound of my Mini (02 - MCS - JCW) but it can't compete...

As far as exhaust "burble" my MCS didn't have a noticeable one when I got it...When I had the JCW upgrade done (first one done by Roadshow in Memphis) it was there... can't say if it was the exhaust change or the programming change for the upgrade. My JCW kit was installed in 03 so if it was programming, it had to be decided on early on...

Wiz

Old 06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KC MCS
- especially since I park in a parking garage at work every day and have to hear it amplified.
Shift to 2nd earlier to keep the revs down when in a parking garage. Personally, I love the sound my One-ball makes in a parking garage.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kapps
Colin Chapman is rolling over in his grave...
Who Dat? That wussie Loti guy?

Good old American Muscle is all you need Vroom Vroom, Rumble Rumble

Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
m@'s Mini
2nd Gear
Take this for what it's worth, as I have never looked fuel trims while slowing down. My understanding on the "burble" is the same for any car, unspent exhaust gases in the exhaust system being burned. Similar to a backfire. On deceleration with high engine load a rich condition is created (can also happen between slow shifts) the unused A/F gases are expelled into the exhaust and the heat generated there causes them to ignite. Normal under all conditions I know of. The resonance sound is drastically effected by the exhaust design. For example my cobra was rather tame until I relieved it of the crimped factory pipes and fitted it with Flowmaster, I know redneck, and Mac Pro-chamber (cat-less). After a good romp she will spit and puke as to say "why the hell did you let off the gas".

Old 06-29-2006, 05:19 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Your ID seems appropriate defylogik, since you seem to be very confident that MINI would not build in a rich condition on throttle back off. Ha! I won't argue with all your logic, but I sleep easy at night knowing that the burble is NOT in the OEM mufflers! I have a complete after market exhaust system, with nothing OEM in the path, and my car burbles and barks like a mad dog. Incredibly loud and obnoxious, there's no doubt unburned fuel is entering the header on throttle back and exploding in there.

cheers,

Old 06-30-2006, 03:29 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Will @ M7 Tuning
Nope, we can't all agree! I don't think that statement is true at all, not clearly nor otherwise. When you can show me a 400 HP 370 ft.lbs MINI that is easy to drive for a 16 yr old and will have no major problems for 200K miles, maybe I'll think about considering the possible validity of what you just said.
Lets see, 400 hp 370 ft.lb Mini - 16 year old driver.... even the average 35 year old would have problems.... 200k? The problem for most drivers today, some will roll it, take some poles out, put it in the woods, hit someone else, test guard rails, blow it up, loose their license ( the car would last longer ), drive without a license & get arrested ( the car would last even longer )..... 30k would be the average lifetime if you're lucky....which was the average life of the original Hertz Mustang & you had to be 21 to rent one........
Besides how many 426, 427, 454s do you see in F1 or Champ car...... Super mod, Now we're talking.....

Old 07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
my GF always asks.. what the hell is that popping noise? I just tell her it is from the backpressure in the exhaust and that keeps her quiet... I only really notice it on engine braking...

Old 07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
Who Dat? That wussie Loti guy?

Good old American Muscle is all you need Vroom Vroom, Rumble Rumble
I'll take my cornering ability over 800 hp anyday! I liked th burble, then I went to the Grand AM and 24 hours at Rolex, then I heard my burble as i peak out each gear. Then I loved my burble!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I just thought I'd add this...

Link

Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Cheetos
2nd Gear
burble? what burble?

I've owned my '06 MCS from new for 3 months now, and have not heard anything even remotely resembling a burble, burp, rumble or anything else under idle, accelaration, decelaration, or anything in between. The car has been quiet as a door mouse all along.

Was there a 'burble' option and I missed it?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Cheetos
I've owned my '06 MCS from new for 3 months now, and have not heard anything even remotely resembling a burble, burp, rumble or anything else under idle, accelaration, decelaration, or anything in between. The car has been quiet as a door mouse all along.

Not an option. To make it burble: While cruising at speed drop a gear and left off the gas. You should definetly here some sort of bubbling action.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 AM
2005MCS/KK
2nd Gear
Since I had the JCW cat back exhaust installed to my MCS 05, the burble seems to be disappear (actually, the JCW makes my MCS to be much more quiet than stock ).

The burble is still there, but very hard to notice, now instead of "Pop" sounds, it sounds like "Thump"...

Maybe a JCW cat back can resolve your problem?

I personally love the burble a lot though.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
DrPhilGandini

The car has to be running to observe/hear the burble. Insert key, turn, engage 1st gear, accelerate and release throttle ==> burble. (Turn radio down for enhanced effect.)
For those wanting "all hell breaking loose" burble: install a Megan race header with test pipe!

cheers,

Old 07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
creeker
4th Gear

Cheetos, with the stock exhaust, the burble (backfire) is more difficult to hear. I drove for 3K miles before I noticed the first burble ("hey, what's that quiet popping noise?"). Now I have a one-ball installed and the backfire is noticable by everone inside and outside of the car.

Try driving behind other mod-ed Minis, you will hear the burble.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
That is intersting because both of my 03's do it.

It is definitely dme controlled. My header was broken just after the collector and the popping was amazing. And when coasting down hill in 1st or 2nd you can keep the popping going by just tapping the gas peddle. The whole sequence will start over. We have this on some of the bmw's too.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Spade
2nd Gear
Well, not to join any sides, but I'm a burble fan. @ 10K now in my '05 MCS, I would hate to motor around without it. Plus I enjoy the looks and revs I get from cholos in their civics looking for a race at every stop-light. I can understand, though as bings, langs and or any other kind of loose sounds can easily annoy me.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Cheetos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
The car has to be running to observe/hear the burble. Insert key, turn, engage 1st gear, accelerate and release throttle ==> burble. (Turn radio down for enhanced effect.)
For those wanting "all hell breaking loose" burble: install a Megan race header with test pipe!

cheers,
Ahhh, has to be running. THAT would explain it....

Seriously, though, my car makes no such sound. I've driven it under all conditions described herein (as stock) and no burble.

Yes, even with the radio turned down...

Old 07-10-2006, 09:41 AM
DrPhilGandini
Seriously, though, my car makes no such sound. I've driven it under all conditions described herein (as stock) and no burble.
Yes, even with the radio turned down...
I don't know if you *want* the burble, but go down to the dealership and take a new MCS out for a spin, see if it burbles, and if so, then ask the SM to give you that on your car! I think you're missing one of the features of the MCS if you're not hearing the burble.
I'm still in "wtf, I just shot someone with my MINI" burble mode--and loving it!
cheers,

Quick Reply: Can the 'burble' be buried?