Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Intermittent Power Steering Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddly enough, the day after I have a serious problem, I see someone else post the same problem on MINI2 - I've copied dej's description of the problem here:

Occasionally, I have a power steering problem. When this happens at low speeds (i.e., below 5 mph), it becomes quite difficult to turn the wheels. I assume the ps pump is cutting in and out.
I have noticed this on my May '02 build Cooper at times as well. Unfortunately, I attributed it to the "nature of the beast" knowing that it was electrically assisted power steering and I never bothered asking about it.

However, I just had a very horrible experience last night making a hard turn when the steering failed! I was travelling quickly, but not at an overly excessive speed - my guess is roughly 20-25MPH - making a left turn. The steering quit momentarily and I ended up hitting a 5" curb! My wheel is destroyed and the impact bent something (axle?) so that the wheel is pushed back in the fender well and now it rubs.

I had to call MINI Roadside Assistance to have the vehicle hauled into the dealer.

The dealer said they had never heard of this before, so I would be VERY INTERESTED to hear from any others experiencing this intermittent problem.

Also curious if anyone has any thoughts on why this problem may be occuring?

TIA.

Old 03-25-2003, 03:11 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Mini2Go, that sucks BIGtime!! I sure hope that the dealer finds a faulty P.S. element and the whole repair is done under warranty.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:27 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
That sucks! I know the PS seems to be different from car to car. I got a chance to drive someone else's MCS the other day and it felt like there was more power assist in his than in my MCS.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:47 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Thanks for the replies guys... Believe it or not, they help ease some of the pain! :smile:

Yesterday, while at the dealership, I spoke with another owner that also says he has experienced this same phenomena multiple times.

As it stands, MINI/BMW will be investigating my car (I assume that means the computer and the physical components) to see if they can establish whether this *actually* happend to me in this situation or if it was just my imagination.

I can assure you that it has not been my imagination in the past, but this particular incident happened so quickly, that I can't be sure of much - I just remember at the time thinking for an instant "Oh *****, the car isn't turning!!!"

At any rate, I would still appreciate input from any others who may be experiencing this issue. If there is indeed an issue that is affecting multiple cars, it is a serious one that MINI/BMW needs to have brought to their attention and addressed!

On a slightly separate note - I can't tell you how TERRIBLE it is having to drive the Chevy Malibu rental - OMG, what a PIG!! I guess I should be grateful to have wheels....

...I guess I should also be grateful that I'm not lying in a desert in the Middle East fearing for my life. Hmmm.... perspective.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:49 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
My power steering just started doing the "it's working, no it isn't, yes, no.....". Pretty frustrating. Dont want to take Mouse to the dealer, but may have no choice.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:59 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
Now there is no 'working some of the time'. PS just flat quit. I guess I will be going to the dealer but not before I verify they have a PS motor is stock. :evil:

Old 05-13-2003, 07:33 PM
DanscooperS
1st Gear
HI,

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 02' MCS, AT FIRST I NOTED IN THE MORNING WHEN I STARTED MY MCS AND PULLED THE STEERING IT WOULD SKIP AND MAKE A LOUDER HIGH PITCH NOISE, THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND HAD IT CHECKED OUT THE STEERING FLUID WAS DRY , FOUND NO LEAKS AND JUST ADDED FLUID. A FEW DAYS LATER THE PROBLEM CAME BACK IT WAS VERY FRUSTRATING !!!
TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND AFTER THURALLY INSPECTING IT THE MECHANIC FOUND A SEAL ON THE STEERING RACK WAS DAMAGED IT WAS LEAKING INTERNALLY, ALL THE FLUID WAS GOING TO THE BOOTS OR DUST COVERS, AFTER IT WAS PINCHED ALL THE FLUID SQUIRETED OUT, THIS WAS DIFICULT TO DETECT SINCE THE SEALS WERE HOLDING BACK THE FLUID.

IF THIS IS HAPPENING TO YOUR MCS DO NOT POSTPONE THE VISIT TO YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP, THIS PROBLEM MAY CAUSE STEERING LOSS MAKE YOU LOOSE CONTROL.
OH ! AND IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY THEY HAD TO ORDER THE PARTS AND TOOK A WEEK TO GET IT REPAIRED.

DAN.