Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Sunroof suddenly squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
bmorton1234
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof suddenly squeaky

eeeeeeeeeekkk...from the sunroof. not to loud...right side rail.

what's the correct lube for this?

Old 07-14-2006, 02:33 PM
LBE
2nd Gear
Same prob here. I just used a little lithium lube and laightly sprayed the tracks and all the little pivot areas. I would recomend somthing a little thicker than WD40 but that would prob work for now.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:08 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
somewhere on here is a link to a website where someone did a walkthrough on what lube and where to lube. i have the same problem sometimes. my driver window is squeaky too

Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the info

Old 05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ernesto
Here is the info
Reviving a dead thread. Anyone have this info somewhere? Mine is making wretched noises when opening closing and the link (above) is now dead.

Thanks.

Last edited by Xymox; 05-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
I ended up fixing it myself with dielectric tune up grease, a small allen wrench, and this photo:

Worked well for me.

Last edited by Xymox; 05-02-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I use a straw and insert down the track and give it squirt of a greaseless liquid lubricant (not WD-40). It is very easy to apply and the operation seems to be quieter than lithium grease.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Xymox
Reviving a dead thread. Anyone have this info somewhere? Mine is making wretched noises when opening closing and the link (above) is now dead.

Thanks.
Use archive.org to search on that old URL.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A while back, I saved the text from that now dead link. Here it is. Sorry, I did not save the pics, but the description is pretty good, so I think you can figure it out.

MINI Sunroof greasing
http://mini.uglydoris.com/archives/cat_howto.html

Fixing Sunroof Squeal/Rattle

After a long winter with copious amounts of road salt, the sunroof on my MINI Cooper S had begun to make a metal-on-metal squealing sound when opening or closing. I figured that something just needed some lubrication, but it took a little bit of research to find out exactly what needed grease. I decided to take some pictures and document the fix in case anyone else runs across this problem. The sunroof had also begun to make a rattle sound when open, and it turns out that the fix below also fixed that problem as well.

The MINI sunroof is a very large unit and uses 2 sets of guides that travel along tracks built into the sunroof. There are two guides (one on each side) that support the front of the roof and two guides that support the rear of the roof. Each set of guides travels in its own set of tracks. See the picture to the left. The picture was taken at the front of the roof opening looking toward the rear of the car on the driver's (left) side.

Initially I thought the squealing was coming from the front guide track, but as you can see in the photo above, the front guide track is pretty well-lubricated from the factory. After applying some more discriminating listening techniques I determined that the sound was coming from the rear guide and not the front. The rear guide track has no visible lubricant on it, and the rear guide actually rides the underside of its track -- not on top or to the side of the track. See the photo to the right for a picture of the track. Note once again that it rides the underside of that track.

So the real question is how best to lubricate the underside of that track. There's certainly no way to get a finger in there. Then it hit me that MINI had already supplied the perfect tool in the car's toolkit -- they just didn't know it at the time. The wire loop with the hook at the end supplied for removing the car's wheel center caps is perfect for this job.

OK now for the lubrication. Open the sunroof all the way. Grab a tub of your favorite waterproof grease, dip the hook end of your wheel cap tool into the grease and get a little blob on the hook, then insert the tool down between the outer felt seal of the sunroof and the outside of the rear guide track. Once you get it underneath the track, turn it 90 degrees so the hook part with the grease on it is now right under the track. Then slide the hook tool back and forth to spread the grease around.

Now close the sunroof but not all the way. Slide it it forward to the point where the rear guide is forward of the fixed pane of glass (the pane that doesn't open). Then insert the tool with a blob of grease on the hook end down in between the felt seal and the rear guide track in the same manner as before. Twist it 90 degrees so you are getting the grease up under the track, then slide the hook all the way back on the track, all the way back to the rearmost part of the fixed pane.

Repeat the process with the rear guide track on the other side of the sunroof. When you're done, open and close the sunroof a couple times to really spread the grease around. By this point, the squealing noise should be gone and you should have smooth operation. Clean up any leftover grease and also clean off your hook tool and stow it back in your tool kit. Pack it up and have a beer, you're done.

Posted by sjbartnik at 09:31 AM | Comments (3)

Last edited by ofioliti; 05-03-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
gmeerkreebs
Neutral
heeelp! sunroofs stuck (well it was)

have a 04 MCS and the sunroof opened fine then was stuck fully open. i was able to get it closed by helping it but have not and wont try again until i ask here. I bought wd40 AND white lithium lub spray. Cant quit tell (only owned my MCS 3 WONDERFUL DAYS! Can anyone point to a vid or pictures of exactly where to lube? from the outside or inside? remove the trim ring (if the answer is inside) or not. Help please! I LOVE this car and would love it more if I could enjoy the sunroof during the fall THANKS and motor ON!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
any pictures or video of this process? what to use as a lube...lithium grease or something else?

thanks