Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spontaneous engine bay fires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 PM
CaliPepper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So are you saying the pump was whining? or the fan?

I see the fan, but how would I know if my pump is new or old?

Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have the part number for the "newly designed" PS motor fan? I'd like to get it installed to my 03 MCS (82Kmiles); it should fit fine, right?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
With this 03, the PS fan failed in Feb 06. The car is a 10-02 build.
Since this failure happened in cold, wet weather, lots of water, the car overheated & the overflow tank cracked. For months I have searched for the box with the old fan to post a pic. I have misplaced or chucked it.

The wireing on the fan was burned as well as the fan motor, melted fan blades, etc. The unit was replaced with the 06 style. There was no warning that the fan failed & it had to have failed long before the overheat based on the visable damage. IMHO, the fan failure could be the cause of some of, if not most of these fires.

I wonder what BMW Mini has done with these fans that were removed & replaced under warrantee?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by volki
Does anyone have the part number for the "newly designed" PS motor fan? I'd like to get it installed to my 03 MCS (82Kmiles); it should fit fine, right?
Thanks in advance!

I am answering my own question, but if anyone needs it, here is the part number of the new PS fan: 32 41 6 781 742

I got one and will have it replaced tomorrow. I dont even know whether my original fan is working or not, but at 83Kmiles and with examples of crisp 03 MCS, I am just having it changed as a precaution. As pointed out before, the new one has an extra circuit on the fan (hopefully a fuse). Cheers!

Last edited by volki; 07-17-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 AM
CaliPepper
Neutral
Does anyone know if this finding was only on the S models?
My stearing whines real loud. Is this a "precursor"?

For give my new-ness. but, where is the birthdate? Gold sticker inside the driver door?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 AM
bobj
4th Gear
Lets hope the current year models are fixed.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
According to the local SA, there is only 1 PS fan available. The original, OE, 02 - early 04 fan is not available.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:21 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
The pictures of the burnt and totaled Minis is pretty hard to look at. I feel sorry for all those that have lost theirs.

Note to self: get fire extinguisher.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Xymox
5th Gear

PS fan: 32 41 6 781 742 = the above fan (one on the left)?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I am glad I found this thread. I have an 03 MCS that started making a noise that I thought was the AC. It only happened when I turned on the AC. Turns out it it is the power steering fan which makes some kind of friction noise.

I am assuming the above fan will fit an 03? No harness electrical connection problems?

Also, I don't have time to read back through all these threads right now. Can anyone give me a synopses of what happens to the fan? My fan still works it just is making noise. I plan on removing it today and making sure its clean. But at this point am I safe and replacing the fan and assuming the power steering pump is okay and not damaged from overheating since the fan has not gone out yet?

Thanks,
k

Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliPepper
Does anyone know if this finding was only on the S models?
My stearing whines real loud. Is this a "precursor"?

For give my new-ness. but, where is the birthdate? Gold sticker inside the driver door?
Cali, the first post in this thread has a nice summary of the subset of instances reported or discovered thru NAM. You'll see that the issue has impacted both the "S" and the normally aspirated MINI for the '02 - '04 build years.

The steering whine is fairly loud on all 1st Gen MINIs even when it's operating normally. Many people actually like the distinctive noise (like me). One precursor of potential trouble is the PS fan not shutting off after engine shut down and even running the battery dead. If the whining turns into a grinding noise, or doesn't stop after you turn off your car, time to get it checked out.

On my '05, the "born" date is printed on a black sticker posted in the driver's side door jam (05 / 05). I assume it's the same across the board.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
kavorka123
1st Gear
Good News

After 8 months of waiting, MINI finally admitted fault for the damages done to the engine and refunded me 100% of the cost to repair. Kudos to MINI for taking responsibility. I just hope that you all have the same luck that I did getting this resolved. Make sure you speak with someone at MINI corporate and explain the situation. Send them your receipts with descriptions of the damages. Have someone at your dealership (if it was repaired there) call them as well and tell them it was not your fault. The part is faulty. Good luck.

Unforunately after all that work was put into the car, it was just totalled last week by a jerk that ran a red light and smashed into me. I just placed an order for a new one yesterday. The wait starts all over again.

I never thought I'd buy another MINI after the power steering pump failed on me last October. But here I am. And its all because they took the right action and made the right decision to help me out. I hope they do the same for everyone else.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM
projektyle
Neutral
2002 Mini Caught Fire

My first MINI, SiG/SiG MCa, caught fire (location - power steering pump) after having been driven the whopping 1.4 miles to work. Fire was suppressed via fire extinguisher (this was probably over a year ago). Just traded it in (MINI took care of everything as "warranty issue", even though there were over 36000 miles on it [less than 50k]) on a 2008 CR/W MC...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 AM
splash
Neutral
My only concern now is that it will happen again. Do you think if they replaced the pump, fan and electrical harness it could happen again? They say that the electrical harness has had a new sealed redesign done in 2005. They think that is where the fires start, as a short from water damage. However they still have not done a recall on the electrical harness.

I was thinking of trading it in. How did they do on the trade in value for you? Do you think you got a fair trade? I am torn about keeping this one or getting another mini or buying a more reliable car. hmmm
thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by stevecars60
According to the local SA, there is only 1 PS fan available. The original, OE, 02 - early 04 fan is not available.

Originally Posted by splash
They say that the electrical harness has had a new sealed redesign done in 2005. They think that is where the fires start, as a short from water damage. However they still have not done a recall on the electrical harness.
Is the "they" here someone formally representing MINI? Your SA?

Originally Posted by kavorka123
After 8 months of waiting, MINI finally admitted fault for the damages done to the engine and refunded me 100% of the cost to repair... Make sure you speak with someone at MINI corporate and explain the situation. Send them your receipts with descriptions of the damages. Have someone at your dealership (if it was repaired there) call them as well and tell them it was not your fault. The part is faulty.
All combined, this sure looks like a smoking gun to me--especially given that MINI (1) has quietly eliminated the old PS fan from their parts inventory; (2) now offer only the redesigned fan with its wiring configuration; and (3) appears to be admitting to the design deficiency in limited circles.

Are they getting warm from the heat [sorry for the pun] being applied by the NHTSB? Is a recall for the '02 -'04 models not far behind?

Let's hope so.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
projektyle
Neutral
I did not pursue any kind of claim, and did not know about the issue as a whole at the time it happened, and my dealer took care of it (including providing a loaner for the entire period the car was being worked on - about 2 weeks, if I remember correctly). Late last year, my son had an accident that required some body work - I felt like I got a fair trade value.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
lowb35
2nd Gear
FYI, in case no one has seen this yet... the NHTSA closed their investigation into the steering fan/pump related failures and fires in August.

The NHTSA report indicates that yes, there is a problem, but:

None of the complaints alleging loss of power assisted steering indicated that the increased effort resulted in a crash or loss of vehicle control.

A safety-related defect has not been identified at this time and further use of agency resources does not appear to be warranted. Accordingly, this investigation is closed. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist. The agency will monitor this issue and reserves the right to take further action if warranted by circumstances.
Circumstances meaning what? Someone dying in a fire or wreck?

Time to swap out my P/S fan!!!!! I have an early build with one of the old fans, and while I check it periodically and it looks and works ok, I'm on borrowed time/mileage at 64K and since the NHTSA apparently could care less if I live or die as long as I don't lose control of my car in the process, I don't have many other options IMHO.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 AM
vbcrrth
Neutral
I got my MC 2 years ago used (2002). I love this car to pieces and up until a month ago, had no problems. Then while parked on the street one day I get a knock on the door and these kids say "You might want to come outside your car is on fire." Sure enough the whole thing was filled with smoke and luckily I was able to save it with a fire extinguisher. I was devastated but was fortunate to have insurance cover it ($3000+). The power steering fan shorted, my mechanic said, and low and behold, when he called the dealership for the parts (one of which is $1200) they had them in stock! I thought it a little strange and now I see this forum - no wonder. Well I see that NHTSA has closed their investigation but I feel obliged to add my poor Mini to the list. I have to admit though, despite trying to take my life (or its own), I'm willing to give it another shot. What's the worst that can happen now that it has set on fire? knock on wood knock on wood knock on wood...

Here are the details:
2002MC 97,500KM Ontario, Canada - happened on Sept. 14, 2008 after I had just had the thermostat, housing and rad replaced which had caused overheating. This was one hot Mini.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lowb35
FYI, in case no one has seen this yet... the NHTSA closed their investigation into the steering fan/pump related failures and fires in August.

The NHTSA report indicates that yes, there is a problem, but:

Circumstances meaning what? Someone dying in a fire or wreck?

Time to swap out my P/S fan!!!!! I have an early build with one of the old fans, and while I check it periodically and it looks and works ok, I'm on borrowed time/mileage at 64K and since the NHTSA apparently could care less if I live or die as long as I don't lose control of my car in the process, I don't have many other options IMHO.
The NHTSA statement is quite the re-ra. I'll bet they're all patting themselves on the back for doing such a great job. We pay them to protect us from these kind of situations?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
another one bites the dust

Well I went out to the driveway to get something out of the Mini today and it was billowing smoke out from under the hood! All kinds of dash lights were on, there was a whirring noise from underneath somewhere. I popped the hood and the hatch lid, went out front and saw no flames but the smoke was getting thicker by the second.

So I got back in, started the engine and backed it away from the house far enough to keep the house safe. When I turned the key off and removed it the car kept running!! Now there were tail and parking lights going on. More dash lights and idiot lights coming on. I had to put it in gear and dump the clutch to stall it.

Then I proceeded to try and disconnect the battery but before I could get it done, the electrical drain on the battery had killed it. The smoke column slowly dissipated. But certainly not the smell of burned electrical wires! Still smells 20 feet away from the car 3 hours later.

I jacked the car up onto stands and took a look. Can't see anything burned. Must be between the firewall and engine. BTW - The PS fan is seized.

At this point I can only assume I just experienced the PS pump failure problem. Doesn't sound like it's going to be a cheap fix though does it :-(
Tomorrow I'll decide where to have it towed to. Dealer or local independent BMW/Cooper shop.

05 MCS with 97,000 miles. Had just been parked after a 30 mile highway commute.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Get this...just called MINI USA for Roadside assistance. They won't tow it. Told me that because it caught on fire it's an insurance claim. Call my insurance co. they said. AARRRGGGHHH!
Peabody Mini couldn't even tell me what my roadside benefits were. BTW- it's 4 years on new mini's unlimited mileage. Per mini usa.

Car manuf. and dealers SUCK!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Update

Finally got some resolution from MINI USA. The second call I made to MINI roadside assistance got my car towed. It's at the dealer in Peabody.
I had suspected it was the PS pump. It turns out it was a shorted PS pump. It burned the harness, connectors and supposedly ruined the battery. Total damage so far $1,400.00.....

Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Gil-galad
From the NHTSB report, "According to BMW, this ultimately could result in a localized smoldering condition that does not propagate."

Well, THAT's a relief!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
If my MINI started smoking or flames were visible the last thing I would do is try and stop it, I would let it burn to the ground...that is as long as it was not going to cause damage or injury to anyone else. who the heck wants to fight with an insurance co over a partially burned car?

Peter

Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello,

I'm posting this now and will read the rest of the entire thread but I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone answers before I get to it.

Ok, '03 MINI Cooper S. 73k About a week ago a whine started occurring that is clearly audible from the inside. First it started off low and now is quite loud. The noise dissipates a second or two when the steering wheel is turned in either direction but comes back after the initial load is over.

The steering works fine so I don't THINK it's the OS pump (unless it's in early stages of failure) So far the thread indicates the whine is the fan (or maybe it failed already and has cooked the PS unit?) As mentioned the whine changes when the SW is turned so I don't see how the whine is attributed directly to the fan but could have indirectly affected the PS unit.

Who else has had this annoying whine (MUCH louder than stock) and found out it's the PS unit? I can replace the original fan with the upgraded unit but if the PS unit is on the way out then this will need to be replaced too.

Right now the car is not driven. I swap cars every two weeks or so.

By then maybe I can figure out what the deal is. Also has anyone tested their original PS fan to see if it's functioning before replacing.

Don't want the car to go up in flames! So any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Spontaneous engine bay fires!