Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spontaneous engine bay fires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 AM
stock_r53
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 R53 This has me a little worried. read as much as i could and couldnt find anybody saying anything about after market components. I have a 17% SC pulley, after market exaust and after market intake i know that creats extreem amount of heat. Any issues known with this type of set-up? fire related.....

Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far I have not heard or read anything about the aftermarket parts you have mentioned causing any fire related issues. I have all of those items on my R53 & it runs cool, even on track.

From what I understand it is the power steering that can cause the fire. I've also read of someones ABS unit causing a fire.

Welcome to NAM & enjoy that new MINI.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
sjessog
Neutral
05 MCS

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I wonder if the # of miles on a car is in anyway related to the part failing. I recon 05-06 cars are not known to have the problem because they don't have enough miles on them for the part to fail.

I have an 05 MCS 95000 and ps went at 65 mph around bend on highway. It took a lot of strength to keep me from running into the median. Dont think I would buy a MINI again let alone a BMW if that is how the company operates.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
sjessog
Neutral
I have put over 750000 miles on 4 cars and never once had to replace a ps...never.......

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
sjessog
Neutral
sell it.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sjessog
I have put over 750000 miles on 4 cars and never once had to replace a ps...never.......
That is good to hear. Were those cars MINIs? I'm not looking forward to the cost of that repair, but maybe I won't have to.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if the PS unit should be considered a wear & tear item that needs to replaced at certain intervals based upon mileage and inspection of the unit.

Similar to timing belts/rollers, water pumps, shocks, turbo units etc.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange, my other car is a 1988 Toyota without power steering and at anything over 5mph, steering is pretty easy. Granted it will take more effort to turn without power steering, but still if you're doing 65 in a turn?? hmm. Welcome to NAM btw. I love how people will never post on NAM until they have a problem (First 3 posts are in this thread). Makes you wonder about all the people that don't have problems.

Originally Posted by sjessog
I have an 05 MCS 95000 and ps went at 65 mph around bend on highway. It took a lot of strength to keep me from running into the median. Dont think I would buy a MINI again let alone a BMW if that is how the company operates.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM
sjessog
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Having read a number of posts in this thread, a number of the owners share responsibility for the events that happened. When you continute to operate a car with a known defect...a few folks said their ps was gutting in and out, or not always turning off, etc!!! Hello, can we say RED FLAG!!!
Anybody that continutes to opperate a defective item, and chooses to put their head in the sand like an ostrich, is gonna have a problem. If they don't, then it is sheer luck!!
In this situation, the events are largely forseable, preventable, and assigning the blame to the manfacture does little to help anybody.
The important thing to remember is when parts fail or begin to fail, do they telegraph the owner or operator what is happening? Sudden unexpected failures are dangerous...but failures that happen with small events and warning signs leading up to the major event are or should not be dangerous, as any reasonable driver should have taken the car off the road. Period.

h

Last edited by sjessog; 04-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
sjessog
Neutral
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Strange, my other car is a 1988 Toyota without power steering and at anything over 5mph, steering is pretty easy. Granted it will take more effort to turn without power steering, but still if you're doing 65 in a turn?? hmm.
there are turns on highways......

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
sjessog
Neutral
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Strange, my other car is a 1988 Toyota without power steering and at anything over 5mph, steering is pretty easy. Granted it will take more effort to turn without power steering, but still if you're doing 65 in a turn?? hmm. Welcome to NAM btw. I love how people will never post on NAM until they have a problem (First 3 posts are in this thread). Makes you wonder about all the people that don't have problems.

Dont assume anything until you have the facts and the fact is I have been a member on NAM since I bought the car in 05...account was jacked etc...and had to create a new account. You know what is funny I have a 64 Ford F100 (No PS) and it is much easier to steer than this right now. I dont need spend all of my time on the site posting just use it for information.

Last edited by sjessog; 04-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we first married we had a '62 Pontiac Tempest, slant 4, no power brakes and no power steering.
It did have 15 inch wheels during a time when 14's were the norm.
It also had a steering wheel the size you would typically find in a bus!

Kinda hard to turn wheels at a stop, but when it was rolling it was no problem.

None of my Jeeps had power steering.

My TR6's didn't either, but then they had rack and pinion.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled opinionating.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I can be a shock to find power assist gone, but it should still steer fine. That happened to me entering turn 4 at Nelson Ledges race course in a Toyota FX16. Surprised me but I was still able to finish the race. When in the paddock I saw that It threw the belt. Raced the next day without power assist too.

As far as a PS system being a consumable item that is changed at regular intervals like timing belts, no way.

I thought those Triumphs used rope & pulley steering.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
thelemoncookie
Neutral
Burning Mini

I guess you can add mine onto that list.

2002 Mini Cooper, about 113,600 miles?

Photo is located here

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! I'm sorry! Are you the original owner or did you buy it used?

Originally Posted by thelemoncookie

Photo is located here

Old 04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
thelemoncookie
Neutral
Mini's catching on fire.

I've been looking around to see if there are any more recent posts about Mini's catching on fire spontaneously. Everything I've found is at least 1.5+ years old. Has anyone seen/hear/read about anything similar that is more recent?

Mine burned into the ground yesterday. Couldn't save it, but I managed to save my stuff that was in the car.

Photo here.

2002 with about 113,600ish miles. I don't quite remember.

I literally just parked it, ran inside to get something and came out and it was on fire. 3 mins tops.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's too bad the original post hasn't been updated in two years, as it was a nice summation of that subset of fires reported in this thread (who can say how many more non-NAMers--i.e., the vast majority of owners--have had to experience this). The subsequent reports of fires since the April '08 update are getting buried in the thread...

Sorry about the loss of your MINI tlc. Sad indeed. Make sure that whoever is investigating the incident is aware of the record of fires documented in this thread.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
I am the original poster of this thread. I stopped updating it when the site changed hands, and I found that I couldn't get in to the first post to make edits. I think I can now, but I've pretty much left the board. Is there any way I can turn this thread over to someone else to update? That would be ideal...

Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Photo is located here
Always terrible to see this happening. I hope the investigators for the FD find the cause.

Curious. Ever esperience any undiagnosed electrical issues such as; lights coming on / off or other related problems with the power steering ? Any aftermarket wiring under the bonnet for fog lights, stereo or other related equipment ?

Thanks for your input. Our condolences on your MINI and may your motoring memories be your comfort.

Dave

Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
I have been in talks with MINI North America. Essentially, they have been giving me the run-around since December 2009. I need as many people as possible to email me who have experienced spontaneous engine-bay fires. We will begin a class-action lawsuit with a product liability firm as soon as possible. To me, it is not about the money. We need a RECALL! Or a safety bulletin!! I could have been trapped inside my burning vehicle when the power shorted and blew up my battery.

EMAIL or PM me.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
I've been looking around to see if there are any more recent posts about Mini's catching on fire spontaneously. Everything I've found is at least 1.5+ years old. Has anyone seen/hear/read about anything similar that is more recent?

I literally just parked it, ran inside to get something and came out and it was on fire. 3 mins tops.
Similar story with mine. Happened in Oct 09. See post #376:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1-post376.html

Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
MiniPumps
1st Gear
Add me to the list.

Today I drove my 2003 MCS to work (67k mi), and everything seemed 100% normal - this is a 100% stock MCS. I did hit a big bump in the road (real big, not like a small pot hole - almost bottoming out). It jarred the car pretty bad, but not the biggest bump I've ever hit in a car.

Anyways, once I get to work, park it, like normal (note - power steering is working fine, pump was getting a little more whine over the few weeks). By the time I get to my desk, and log into my computer, I see a mass email sent out to the entire company with the title "Blue Mini Cooper SMOKING HEAVILY."

By the time I got back to it, the smoke was still smoldering. Some co-workers said they saw some flame underneath (where the powers steering pump was). I got it towed home, so I could take a look at the damage, while I was waiting on the insurance company. Looked under there, and sure enough, alot of stuff melted - it looks like a main coolant line, p/s pump harness, and maybe even the engine harness! Not good, not good at all. I am just extremely thankful that it wasnt parked in my tuck-under garage at my home!!

Insurance is covering everything minus my deductable, and has been towed to the dealership.

Bad luck, but it could have been much worse!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmalay, glad you're OK.

Did the coolant line actually burn through? ( might have kept the fire under control ) When the PS fan failed it this car, it overheated - the expansion tank ruptured big time - no fire, just scared the crap out of my wife.......

Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
That's terrible......sounds like it overheated. I dont get it. We have so many improvements to these cars including modules which re-program our window operation and open garage doors, but no one has ever devised a warning lite or buzzer of sorts which comes on if the Power Steering fan stops working.....seems to me it would be an easy thing to rig up.

BTW: Disconnect the battery terminals while you wait for the insurance adjuster....especially if parked in the garage!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:16 AM
lowmini
1st Gear
our mini club lost a mini because the p/s pump caught fire

Quick Reply: Spontaneous engine bay fires!