Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spontaneous engine bay fires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaiderZA
Make sure NHTSA knows about your incident by filing a complaint online http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
I tried filing a complaint yesterday about the fire I had last year, but it wouldn't take. I wonder if it's because I'm using a Mac? Or maybe it's Safari? I'll try it again with Firefox and see if it takes.

Jenn

Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Know how to unplug your battery fast. Keep the tools to do so in your boot. Keep a fire extinguisher in your car. That's what I'm doing. I still love my MINI despite this serious issue. Surfboy88 was the first Cooper (non S) I've heard of with an engine fire.

Richard
All good points Richard. BTW, there are several Coopers (non S) on the main list in the first post. In fact, the first reported engine bay fire in England was a Cooper.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oooh, sorry I didn't look. I guess I was thinking of personally known (heard of). going to read some posts....

[edit] OMG, I didn't realize who Scoop was...I forgot...sorry. Yeah I remember reading about your fire on WCM. Wow, didn't realize how many fires there were.

Originally Posted by SCoop
All good points Richard. BTW, there are several Coopers (non S) on the main list in the first post. In fact, the first reported engine bay fire in England was a Cooper.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 04-26-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
I tried filing a complaint yesterday about the fire I had last year, but it wouldn't take. I wonder if it's because I'm using a Mac? Or maybe it's Safari? I'll try it again with Firefox and see if it takes.

Jenn
I just successfully filed a complaint using Firefox!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Oooh, sorry I didn't look. I guess I was thinking of personally known (heard of). going to read some posts....

[edit] OMG, I didn't realize who Scoop was...I forgot...sorry. Yeah I remember reading about your fire on WCM. Wow, didn't realize how many fires there were.
No prob!

Think about this: these are only the fires we know about! I'm sure there are quite a few more that have gone unreported!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
ttartot
Neutral
power steering failure

Hello everyone!
This morning I discovered that my power steering had failed. I still drove it, had to get to work. I've not inspected it closely, so i don't know what might have caused it, but I'm a little worried if I should expect to find my car burnt down. I started looking at some threads here, and I'm getting more and more scared! Do you think my problem might be connected to this widespread burning issue? Has anyone experienced the PS failure before the fire? Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:28 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Hi ttartot,

I've known several people who've had their power steering fail, but all were on a track working the car pretty hard in 95+ degree weather. In all of those instances the car was back to normal after turning it off and waiting a few minutes for it to cool off.

I haven't heard of anyone's failing while in regular street driving. Doesn't mean it never happens, though.

Jenn

Old 04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
There's nothing wrong with using a Mac. Just like our MINIs, they are different and need a little extra attention. I'm glad Firefox worked on the NHTSA site...although now I'm a little suspicous of an agency that doesn't play nice with Macs

Jenn

Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
ttartot
Neutral
Thanks, Jenn
I'm in MA and it hasn't been hot here, but I was away for a week and when I was pulling out of my driveway I noticed the steering was very tough. The first thing I did was turn the car off and start it again, but it didn't help (it seems to be a solution to some Mini problems, too bad not this one). Thanks for the reply, though, I might have to bring it to the Peabody dealership, the guys are great there, too expensive, but good.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Surfboy88
I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA site too. My car is still being checked out and repaired at the dealer.

State Farm has initially told me that they will cover any damages from the fire, but not the cause. Since my car is out of warranty at 55K, I may have to cover the cost of the PS relay or the entire assembly, if it is all one unit.

I'm not going to get too worked up over it. I'd want to see how it all works out in the next few days and what the dealer's position will be.

I'm just glad I didn't get hurt and that the entire car didn't go up in flames.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Surfboy88
I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA site too. My car is still being checked out and repaired at the dealer.

State Farm has initially told me that they will cover any damages from the fire, but not the cause. Since my car is out of warranty at 55K, I may have to cover the cost of the PS relay or the entire assembly, if it is all one unit.

I'm not going to get too worked up over it. I'd want to see how it all works out in the next few days and what the dealer's position will be.

I'm just glad I didn't get hurt and that the entire car didn't go up in flames.
Hey Dave, I was in the exact same situation. It cost me around $550 out of pocket - $100 deductible (from comprehensive) and $450 for the Power Steering Pump replacement. Unfortunately, since MINI hasn't acknowledged the problem, they haven't changed the part either... it could happen again.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Hmmmmm... not sure if this is related... but I wonder if all the mentioned cases of engine bay fires caused this:

http://www.wftv.com/news/13209068/detail.html

GotMINI

Old 04-28-2007, 07:06 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alerious
Hmmmmm... not sure if this is related... but I wonder if all the mentioned cases of engine bay fires caused this:

GotMINI
Whoa...! I looked at the date of the story and compared it with the opening of the NHTSA investigation to see if they coincided - they don't. The investigation was opened April 19th and the story is dated April 27th. I wonder if there's a way to contact those people and let them know about all the other fires?

Thanks for sharing, Alerious.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM
G. P. Burdell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alerious

GotMINI
Oh, man...it (quite possibly) finally happened. It's exactly the reason why we sold our Cooper earlier this year. At least the homeowners got out safely.

Someone needs to get in touch with the homeowners and tell them about the NHTSA inquiry. Gustavo Almodovar, the WFTV reporter who filed the story, would probably know how to contact them. If the investigators conclude that the MINI caught on fire, MINI USA won't be able to ignore this one.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Here's a video showing the disturbing images of the house burning and the aftermath. Pay particular attention to what the news reporter at the end of the video says.

http://www.wftv.com/video/13211253/detail.html

GotMINI

Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
lowb35
2nd Gear
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to send the link to the NHTSA as well, while it's still available on the 'Net.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
The principal investigator at NHTSA that is conducting the preliminary investigation regarding scope of the defect (ODI Action Number: PE07022) is:
Mr. Derek Rinehardt, Safety Defects
Engineer, Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), NHTSA, 400 Seventh
Street, SW., Washington, DC 20590. Telephone: (202) 366-3642.

Originally Posted by lowb35
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to send the link to the NHTSA as well, while it's still available on the 'Net.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
lowb35
2nd Gear
I'm doing this now. Also sending a link to this discussion thread to the investigator.

Would sending this to MINI USA also be an option to consider?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
I'm doing this now. Also sending a link to this discussion thread to the investigator.

Thanks for reinforcing this to the 'powers that be'! I included a link to this thread in my NHTSA complaint form; I think others have pointed this thread to their insurance agents, etc. The more voices, the better IMO. Sending it to MINI probably won't do any good, but you're welcome to try.

Jenn

Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Did you find an email address for the investigator? All I could find was his mailing address and phone. Even though I have not been affected, I would like him to know that MINI owners are taking this issue seriously. I know of only one 04 that may have been affected, but I am plenty nervous about my MINI in my 3 car attached garage - since no changes were made to the pump on the 04 MC.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have also sent this latest house fire info. to the NHTSA agent we are working with. At some point, MINI MUST recognize a problem!!!!

We've also been told several times by several different agents (insurance, etc.) that unfortunately, something bad has to happen in order for MINI to step up to the plate. It makes me just SICK to hear and see continual reports about yet another MINI that burns, and now, a family that has lost everything...

Donna

Old 04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Kudos to you, Donna and others, for continuing to carry on this fight on behalf of MINI owners everywhere.

In light of this thread, and conversations with you about yours and Mike's experiences, I got a "Fire Extinguisher" mod. It's not the most attractive thing I've done to my MINI, but it's probably the one that makes me feel the safest.

Figuring out where to mount it was even challenging. I thought about in the boot - but I know that if confronted with the emergency of an engine fire and being panicked, I don't know that I'd have the wherewithall to hit the "unlock" toggle on my way out the driver's side door. I thought about behind the passenger's seat...giving me the "reach back and grab" option as I'm headed out the driver's door. I finally decided on mounting it behind the driver's seat, just below the headrest. No one ever rides in the back of my MCSc and it doesn't interfere with the windscreen in that location. I went with a chrome extinguisher ~ at least it goes well with all the rest of the chrome on my MINI. In the end, I decided that I'm most likely to notice smoke/fire, jump out, reach directly behind my seat, pull the extinguisher, and then run around to the passenger side to pop the bonnet. Hopefully, I'll remember the "unlock" toggle.

This thread is very unnerving. It's unlike me to read something online and respond with such conviction. However, on this topic, there was no second guessing. While these events seem to show a pattern of occurances on '04 and prior models, without acknowledgement of a problem from MINI and no apparent changes to later models, I'm not leaving my safety (or the destruction of my MINI) to chance.

I thank you all for sharing these painfully personal experiences, the route(s) to take in the event of something tragic, and the determination with which you continue to pursue the issue with BMW/MINI and insurers.

I pray that it does not take a catastrophic event to open their eyes...and yet, I fear that it will and that it's simply a matter of time. God forbid.

Last edited by tigwantstoplay; 04-30-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
How did you mount it behind the seat?
Do you have any pics? Also, what brand/size extinguisher did you buy?
Thx.
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
Kudos to you, Donna and others, for continuing to carry on this fight on behalf of MINI owners everywhere.

In light of this thread, and conversations with you about yours and Mike's experiences, I got a "Fire Extinguisher" mod. It's not the most attractive thing I've done to my MINI, but it's probably the one that makes me feel the safest.

Figuring out where to mount it was even challenging. I thought about in the boot - but I know that if confronted with the emergency of an engine fire and being panicked, I don't know that I'd have the wherewithall to hit the "unlock" toggle on my way out the driver's side door. I thought about behind the passenger's seat...giving me the "reach back and grab" option as I'm headed out the driver's door. I finally decided on mounting it behind the driver's seat, just below the headrest. No one ever rides in the back of my MCSc and it doesn't interfere with the windscreen in that location. I went with a chrome extinguisher ~ at least it goes well with all the rest of the chrome on my MINI. In the end, I decided that I'm most likely to notice smoke/fire, jump out, reach directly behind my seat, pull the extinguisher, and then run around to the passenger side to pop the bonnet. Hopefully, I'll remember the "unlock" toggle.

This thread is very unnerving. It's unlike me to read something online and respond with such conviction. However, on this topic, there was no second guessing. While these events seem to show a pattern of occurances on '04 and prior models, without acknowledgement of a problem from MINI and no apparent changes to later models, I'm not leaving my safety (or the destruction of my MINI) to chance.

I thank you all for sharing these painfully personal experiences, the route(s) to take in the event of something tragic, and the determination with which you continue to pursue the issue with BMW/MINI and insurers.

I pray that it does not take a catastrophic event to open their eyes...and yet, I fear that it will and that it's simply a matter of time. God forbid.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
I tried reading through all 7 pages, but my eyes started to burn.

Where this seems to affect 02-04 MCS and MC - do we know for a fact that the component in question was changed for 05+? Or do we 05 owners have something to look forward to?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaiderZA
How did you mount it behind the seat?
Do you have any pics? Also, what brand/size extinguisher did you buy?
Thx.
I don't have any pics at the moment but I'll be happy to take one for you. Give me the weekend to get that done.

It's mounted directly to the driver's side seatback, just below the headrest. My husband and his best friend used self-drilling/tapping screws. No muss, no fuss. Very tight and stable. You have to be able to stomach putting permanent holes into your MINI's seatback (I had to turn away)...but it turned out great.

Here's a link: http://www.aztrucks.com/category.asp?product=520

Quick Reply: Spontaneous engine bay fires!