Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Air conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:28 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Air conditioning question

I have an '06 MCS. Really haven't had to use the AC until recently. My dilema is this. When the fan is set to face (manual AC) and the blower is set to full, there seems to be little airflow throught the forward vents, but a whole lot throught the center vent on the top portion of the dash. Is this normal, or should this top center vent close when selecting face?

Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is the way it works on my MINI....

Originally Posted by davisflyer
I have an '06 MCS. Really haven't had to use the AC until recently. My dilema is this. When the fan is set to face (manual AC) and the blower is set to full, there seems to be little airflow throught the forward vents, but a whole lot throught the center vent on the top portion of the dash. Is this normal, or should this top center vent close when selecting face?
It seems counter-intuitive, but that is how it works on my 2005 MCSa. If the venting should work some other way, I would also like to know.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:11 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmmmmm, when you select the forward (face) vent button in my car, you get all the air going through the forward vents and no where else. If you don't have one of the 3 vent settings selected then what you're describing is what happens. (Some through the forward (face) vents, but a lot though the top center vent)

**edit...im sorry if I misunderstood you. It seems that you don't have the automatic a/c (what I'm describing) and you just have the standard manual a/c.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Hmmmmmm, when you select the forward (face) vent button in my car, you get all the air going through the forward vents and no where else. If you don't have one of the 3 vent settings selected then what you're describing is what happens. (Some through the forward (face) vents, but a lot though the top center vent)
It would take someone baking in 110+ heat to point that out.... Necessity is the mother of invention....

Old 07-16-2006, 12:24 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by caminifan
It would take someone baking in 110+ heat to point that out.... Necessity is the mother of invention....
Hahahaha, you have no idea...

I have no problem with the MINI a/c really, its just that it NEVER can catch up after my car sits outside in this heat. But then again, I don't think any car's a/c can. It's soooooooooooo hot here!!!!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:34 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Hahahaha, you have no idea...

I have no problem with the MINI a/c really, its just that it NEVER can catch up after my car sits outside in this heat. But then again, I don't think any car's a/c can. It's soooooooooooo hot here!!!! [Emphasis added.]
Actually, I would submit the a/c of my Corvette can cut the heat (even 110+, although I don't have personal experience with 110+). I have had my 2003 Corvette coupe (Black exterior) in Sacramento in 105+ and I actually had goose bumps because it was too cold.... I have also had a 2003 Yukon Denali (Black also, but two sets of evaporators - front and rear) that could easily handle the heat. Bet you are missing California.... Earlier today (on the ocean side of the S.F. Peninsula) it was a sunny 72... with a slight breeze....

Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Without a doubt, american cars have the best friggin' air conditioners!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
TC1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too

I am pretty sure thats how its supposed to work. Or at least thats the exact same way it works for me. I always wondered why... Also the top one seems to be louder? Or that could just be me.