Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Full Throttle Shut-down!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Throttle Shut-down!!!

While autocrossing at the SCCA National Tour during the test-tune event in 100 degree weather this past weekend in Denver, we did several back to back runs. On my 15th or so run, when full throttle was engaged on one corner, full throttle basically shut the engine down very momentarily. On the very next run, full throttle was shut down for roughly 3-4 seconds at the very end of the course. I looked to see if there was plenty of gas, and, there was. I checked ASC to make sure it was off and it definitely was. I checked the temperature gauge and coolant level and all was good. We took it for one more run and throttle was cuttoff immediately around the 1st corner. I coasted off course and opened the bonnet and sprayed the intercooler, radiator and put some ice on the intercooler and brought the temperature of the engine bay down to a cooler temperature. I took the car back out for 5 more runs and it was just fine, on the 6th run, it cut off again.

SO, I know its a heat issue, but, I'm wondering why my Mini is doing this and it never did on my 04 or 05 which withstood much much more abuse.

Any thoughts?

Also, on another topic, the braking system on the 06 seems to be affected by the ECU stepping in and applying ABS differently(pre-maturely) than my 04-05. I'm thinking down the road I might change to an 05 ECU if possible just to see, anyone have any knowledge of whether the 06 ECU is different on the braking as well? I also hit Ice mode more often than the 04-05, however, my suspension is quite different as well though. hmmm

Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
it was just probably a way of telling you "please no more"

yeah your right it sounds like a heat issue.

but what kind of issue im not sure of?

You say the temp gauge was at normal temp right??

IC could of been seriously heat soaked??

Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilvrMini
it was just probably a way of telling you "please no more"

You say the temp gauge was at normal temp right??
lol

On the temp gauge it was definitely no higher than normal.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Well ide say if the car is running normal now and not throwing any codes, wait on a cooler day and run it hard and see if it does it again?