Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How does the ASC+T work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:40 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know how exactly is the traction control supposed to work for the following situation?

With the asc connected, what exactly happens if try to spin my wheels and slip my clutch? Will the car actually won´t go, as if its about to stall, but then if you speed slowly it will work with no problems?

I´m asking this because yesterday, after a month of trouble-less driving my car did the weird noise again and felt like it was going to stall, but it didn´t. I was coming to a stop and had a car in front of me, so when I completely stopped for just a second shifted to 1st and accelerated hard. That´s when I got the weird noise and the car pulling to a stop. Previous times I got this thing was a very similar situation: a very brief stop followed by a hard acceleration (not abusing but hard).

I´m starting to think this is normal and it´s the asc+t telling me not to do that.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>I´m starting to think this is normal and it´s the asc+t telling me not to do that.

Bingo.

R

Old 03-26-2003, 12:58 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
How do you turn the asc off,I have a switch for dsc.

Old 03-26-2003, 01:40 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Turning off dsc will also turn off asc. Both issues are discussed in some detail in the manual

Old 03-26-2003, 01:43 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these abbreviations, AHHHHHH!

Old 03-26-2003, 02:03 PM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
I admit it I have had my BRG S for 1 week today... and I have experienced the ASC a couple of times, and it is a disconcerting feeling when it happens. The mind says ohhhh that can't be good, damn thing is loosing power for just a split moment, but you feel it. Then you think, ahh the computer kicked in. I guess what I am saying is that I am going to add turn DSC off when I start the car. I am trying to think why I would ever really want it on. I mean if the car is skidding, I would be trying to regain control the old fashion way, and do I really want to not be able to add power or whatever and have some reaction I would not expect.

jc

Old 03-27-2003, 06:48 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Thanks so much Davbret,

The way you described it is exactly what I was experiencing, and thought it was a problem with the car, when it results it was a problem with the DRIVER!

I finally got to that conclusion after I thinking what exactly was happening and what I was doing when the car had this "problem". At least now I know this is normal.

The ASC+T can be disconnected the same way as the DSC (exactly the same switch) but still I´m driving with the ASC on for safety reasons.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Thanks so much Davbret,

...denada.

PS-The only time I use ASC is after I'm moving, say on a freeway/interstate, and going above 50mph and it's raining. Figure it might help me out, so why not. But around town..NO way!!

R

Old 03-27-2003, 07:10 AM
jwtucker
3rd Gear
I admit it I have had my BRG S for 1 week today... and I have experienced the ASC a couple of times, and it is a disconcerting feeling when it happens. The mind says ohhhh that can't be good, damn thing is loosing power for just a split moment, but you feel it. Then you think, ahh the computer kicked in. I guess what I am saying is that I am going to add turn DSC off when I start the car. I am trying to think why I would ever really want it on. I mean if the car is skidding, I would be trying to regain control the old fashion way, and do I really want to not be able to add power or whatever and have some reaction I would not expect.

jc
This is sort of like saying you are going to disable the ABS, and then manually pump the brakes really fast if you start to slide!

Old 03-27-2003, 07:21 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Personally, I think the DSC is capable of some tricks that us humans are not, such as being able to alter the brake force on individual wheels to prevent a slide. I generally leave ASC/DSC enabled, as I feel its benefits outweigh the negatives. Now, if y ou are drag racing, that's another story altogether! >>>>>>>>>>

I agree with Jason. I do take it off sometimes when I'm the first car sitting at a traffic light and want to take off fairly quickly. Nothing's more embarrassing than taking off only to have DSC kick in and you get thrown forward instead of being pinned into your seat. Now, especially with my new pulley, there's a lot of pinning going on!

Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
With the ASC (I know the DSC is more advanced) on, what should I expect if I loose traction and my tail (Mini´s not mine) starts coming out?

I´ve lost the car´s rear a couple of times (a little bit, not completely loosing the car) mainly because of the skinny uncooperative tires (175/65 15 pirellis). Is the ASC kicking in and helping or is it just me fixing it? (After driving a rear wheel drive mustang for over 4 years I learned to control oversteering, so it doesn´t scare me - even though it´s weird to experience it in a front wheel drive)