Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lou, how much did the pump set you back?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Holy crap. My car is 2 months older than yours and same mileage. I need to check the fan. Whenever I'm under there, I test it and it spins freely. Maybe I should just replace it for piece of mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had the after-market fan guard installed on my PS fan. So far the fan and pump are operating the way they should.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I replaced mine about 10K miles ago, but thanks for the heads up.

Got the updated version of OEM FAn so no guard is required it is built in....and it was on my door step in 2 days....takes only 5 mins to install.

Here: http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I replaced mine about 10K miles ago, but thanks for the heads up.

Got the updated version of OEM FAn so no guard is required it is built in....and it was on my door step in 2 days....takes only 5 mins to install.

Here: http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
+1. Had the fan replaced with the newly designed one about 10Kmiles ago... Recently, PS pump went dead, came back, went dead during the same day. I had it replaced the next day, because even one day was enough to live with the idea of my car bursting into flames. I parked it outside of my house during the night, and at the top level, away from all the cars at work; didn't carry any passengers, etc.

This is scary indeed!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Fan replacement is a good idea, but the pumps can and do fail on there own.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
I'm not sure what to do. I just want to warn all early year Mini owners. I had no warning, noise, signs of this. I just parked one morning and when I got in to dirve home no power steering. Upon further investigation:

Electrical terminal completley burned off!!

Wires into pump fried!!!

I have no idea how my car did not burst into flames!!

Please make sure your power steering pump fans are working. Apparently
mine had locked up and I assume it shorted out the pump. Car is an 11-2002
build S with 58k miles. No warranty and never had any pump work done. It is original to the car.

I'm not sure I have any recourse with MINI-USA but I feel I need make them aware of my experience.
Yikes!

So, did the fan die and the pump started burning (but continued to provide power steering for a while) before you parked? (Then was kaput the next morning?)

Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy cow! As crazy as it sounds, I'm sure you know you were very lucky you don't have a char-grilled MINI!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy crap. If your MINI got on fire because of that dumb fan, would insurance cover something like that?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
misemici
1st Gear
Mine went out two weeks ago (same scenario, although I didn't see it to verify that it was charcoal). 02 Cooper CVT. This is my third go-round with the power steering components, including pump replacement, column issues, and now the fan (and wiring harness and thermo). Apparently the fan locked, the fuse blew, the car overheated (quickly), and fused the thermo housing. I'm still trying to fix the resulting problems, and am up to about $1100 at this point (on this month's problem).

I'm really disturbed to see that this seems to be a not-uncommon problem. Personally, I can't believe the wiring harness upgrade wasn't a recall issue, because from what I understand it has either been the cause of my problem, or at least the reason it went from bad to much worse.

I'd appreciate any tips in dealing with my dealer. I tried to go to a private MINI repair person, but his work didn't fix the coolant leak and now he won't return my calls. Indy's definitely no place to own an out-of-warranty MINI.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
miniconcarne,
thanks for making this thread and including photos.
billie

Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Originally Posted by misemici

I'm really disturbed to see that this seems to be a not-uncommon problem. Personally, I can't believe the wiring harness upgrade wasn't a recall issue, because from what I understand it has either been the cause of my problem, or at least the reason it went from bad to much worse.

I'd appreciate any tips in dealing with my dealer. I tried to go to a private MINI repair person, but his work didn't fix the coolant leak and now he won't return my calls. Indy's definitely no place to own an out-of-warranty MINI.
I also would like tips/suggestions as to this issue. MINI-USA told me to take it to the dealer. If they agree to help out they "MAY" pay for some of it.
I need to get in touch with a service rep.

I also feel this should be a recall.

Check this out:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/49527-important-have-you-had-power-steering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no-47.htmlA

According to this poll more than half have had failures!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
While I agree that this is a problem area, less than 1500 respondents is probably not a valid portrayal of the actual numbers.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Yes, those are just the numbers from that particular forum. Could much higher!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
This is scaring me! Should I get this new fan or would it be ok just to get the cover under neath it? how do you install it? thanks!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Cost

Sorry - I didn't see the question frenchie- The cost for the replacement unit was $350 plus $15 freight from BBA. I feel it is worth it to have the unlimited replacement available..I think this may be a common issue. Add another $23 for the fluid from BMW and we are on the road for $388. Week two with no problems from the amateur mechanics work (me). Cost quoted from the local MINI dealer was $1350.
I would do it again...BBA was very helpful even though the cost was higher than expected...a board problem rather than a run on problem. I don't know the cost difference for the two repairs.
Take care all.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i dun know muhc abt my car....now i am scared

Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Judging by some of the comments, it appears that some MINI owners are seeing PS pumps catching on fire for the first time. This has been going on for a looooong time. Just check the sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Looong time! Not the first time I noticed this, but STILL happening. I just wanted to tell my story. Horrified at the carnage! I was hoping this item was a recall issue. I figured if they recall exhaust tips, why not pump-a-que?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:17 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
Looong time! Not the first time I noticed this, but STILL happening. I just wanted to tell my story. Horrified at the carnage! I was hoping this item was a recall issue. I figured if they recall exhaust tips, why not pump-a-que?
See... you hit the spot. The exhaust tips -apparently- burn people, the failed pumps so far did not burn anyone (luckily). It's crazy how the recall items are determined, dont you think?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This probably belongs in Post #1 of the Spontaneous Engine Bay Fires sticky (and I see the OP has posted in that thread recently).

Problem is, I see that SCoop hasn't updated the list since April of last year, and has not even posted anywhere on NAM for a year. What a shame -- this first post was a nice running tally but now it's missing valuable, supplemental data.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
It is. Power steering pump replacement is pricey, bad press for people burning their legs is costly!!

I really do consider myself lucky, it very well could have caught fire in my garage. I hope this never happens, but it could....

Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 AM
GregO
4th Gear
power steering pump

2006 MCS with 25,000 miles on it. It's not super loud yet, but it is audible...I'm hearing a high pitched whine coming from the engine bay while the car is idling (can't hear it when inside the cockpit, but when standing outside). Reminds me of a whine I heard from a similar MINI (way louder, but same pitch) while at the dealer once when the MA said that's the sound of the power steering pump going bad. Is this accurate or do most R53 MINIs have such a whine (when it's not the supercharger)?
Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by GregO; 06-29-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
2006 MCS with 25,000 miles on it. It's not super loud yet, but it is audible...I'm hearing a high pitched whine coming from the engine bay while the car is idling (can't hear it when inside the cockpit, but when standing outside). Reminds me of a whine I heard from a similar MINI (way louder, but same pitch) while at the dealer once when the MA said that's the sound of the power steering pump going bad. Is this accurate or do most R53 MINIs have such a whine (when it's not the supercharger)?
Thanks,
Greg
if it's whining quite bad send it to bba remanufacturing in taunton ma. for a rebuild . 200.00 plus 25.00 shipping plus a warranty . try to beat that .

Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
jenjen68
1st Gear
My steering died a few weeks ago, and we decided to order the Haynes Mini book and check the fan, fuse, etc. ourselves and attempt the Power Steering Pump cleaning if needed. After waiting a week and half for the book, it finally arrived. $30.
We then discovered we needed the following:
a torque wrench ($16 from Pep Boys), extra Pentosin fluid ($22 from BMW), three self locking nuts ($2.34 ea also from BMW), and a socket set with a various sizes to get the nuts and bolts off. We also used a screwdriver to remove the hose clamp (called a circlip in the book.)
So we managed to get the fan off, fluid out, but are having trouble removing the hose pipe from the reservoir on top from the pump itself. We got the clip off, two bolts in the back, the single bolt from the supply pipe and now we are stuck.
Can someone tell us how to get the pump out?
And is it easier to get the pump out if we remove the pipe and electrical plugs first?

Thanks so much, we are totally stuck :S

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread