Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
jenjen68
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My steering died a few weeks ago, and we decided to order the Haynes Mini book and check the fan, fuse, etc. ourselves and attempt the Power Steering Pump cleaning if needed. After waiting a week and half for the book, it finally arrived. $30.
We then discovered we needed the following:
a torque wrench ($16 from Pep Boys), extra Pentosin fluid ($22 from BMW), three self locking nuts ($2.34 ea also from BMW), and a socket set with a various sizes to get the nuts and bolts off. We also used a screwdriver to remove the hose clamp (called a circlip in the book.)
So we managed to get the fan off, fluid out, but are having trouble removing the hose pipe from the reservoir on top from the pump itself. We got the clip off, two bolts in the back, the single bolt from the supply pipe and now we are stuck.
Can someone tell us how to get the pump out?
And is it easier to get the pump out if we remove the pipe and electrical plugs first?

Thanks so much, we are totally stuck :S

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We replace at least one pump every week and a half. I usually keep 3 in stock at all times just cause. Now if your thinking of rebuilding your old one I'd be careful. I just replaced one of the "rebuilts" that a customer had sent off and repaired then reinstalled. I worked for a month for him then had to just replace it, now it working fine. So be leary of repairing your current pump. The down time and cost to replace it twice may not be worth it.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 AM
jenjen68
1st Gear
Not remanufacturing it yet, just planning to take it off and clean it. The issue is trying to get the thing off! Grr... Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
if you carefully twist the hose at the pump connector(carefully) it will give a little snap and break loose of the connector, then you can pull it off . it's a plastic connector though and if it doesn't want to twist free with minimal force stick a small flat screw driver between connector and hose,working your way around the connector as far as you can then try twisting it off . as for the wires pop them off too . the pump will ,with some effort come out the front. be careful of the plastic connector for the hose at all times .

Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
jenjen68
1st Gear
Thanks so much, headed to the garage now to attempt part II

Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 PM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Got the updated version of OEM FAn so no guard is required it is built in....
Tough luck, but good information - that's an answer to a question I didn't know to ask - I have an 02 MCS (07/02 build), bought used Oct. 07 w/ 47k (from a Kia dealer) - just under the car last w/end while replacing the LCA bushings, and that's what my fan looks like (built in 'cage' - guess the previous owner already replaced it

Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 PM
tommyspitfire
1st Gear
I just had the fan fail on my car and it eventually took out the power steering pump. Fortunately, the car didn't catch on fire, but boy was steering a pain!

A side note, extended warranties are your very best friend. Especially when there is no dealer within 250 miles!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveVT02S
Tough luck, but good information - that's an answer to a question I didn't know to ask - I have an 02 MCS (07/02 build), bought used Oct. 07 w/ 47k (from a Kia dealer) - just under the car last w/end while replacing the LCA bushings, and that's what my fan looks like (built in 'cage' - guess the previous owner already replaced it

Mine had the built in cage also.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniconcarne

Wires into pump fried!!!
I was looking closer at this photo - seems the point of the 'short' is just above your knuckle (?) - abrasion, maybe? Or was that from something else?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:35 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
That was where the wire harness and conector flamed-up. However, I will look closer, see if there was an arc or short. Funny thing is, the fuse is still intact!?!? Thanks for pointing out your observation.
Bryan

Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
Mine had the built in cage also.
Better be careful...just because your PS fan has the cage/grill covering doesn't mean it is the latest and greatest replacement part. There was an intermediate redesign that had the cage but did not have the extra electronics. I discovered this on my '05 and posted pics here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2702414

Also, if you give any credibility to the NHTSB report on this issue the root cause is purportedly moisture getting into the power cables for the EHPS pump itself and not the fan assembly. BMW has subsequently redesigned both components so it's still anyone's guess...

Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
That's what I ment, the fan that went fubar had the "grill". The new one I bought does indeed have the extra electronics. Hmmmm..

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
lisadflip
Neutral
I have a 2004 Mini. My power steering goes on and off at times, and my non-mini mechanic says to wait until it completely goes to get a new unit, but that can cost $700-$1000 dollars. Why wasn't the power steering units in the earlier models recalled if there are so many problems?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I would think a suit against MINI and the actual designer and manufacturer should be in order at this point. Losses can be exhibited by their own repair records and subsequent modifications to former/original parts. Gross neglegence can therefore be easily established beyond a preponderance of the evidence as required in civil court.

And as far as I know, there isn't even a TSB for the updated fan w/shroud, harness or other preventative measures.

God forbid, but if a house catches fire from MINI parked in garage bay, and death and/or serious injury is the direct result, these threads will be invaluable to the survivors and their families......

Time for MINI to get off their ****'s and do somthing.......

My 2 cents.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 07-08-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
There was a TSB for the first couple of years production to fix the harnesss so the rad fan and ps fan were NOT on the same circuit.

And what is the purpose of the electronics on the newer fans?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Pbadore
2nd Gear
Power Steering Pump Fuse Rating

Miniconcarne reports that the fuse in his Mini Cooper was still intact
after his fire. I am not surprised that the fuse didn't blow. The rating on the PS pump power circuit fuse is 100 amps which seems very high to me. Mini
may have specified the fuse rating incorrectly. Maybe someone on this list with an electrical engineering degree or training could evaluate the circuit loads and see if a 100 amp fuse is too high. However, as I read DOT ODI (Office Of Defect Investigation) report it appears that the power steering pump fire cause is due to high resistance in the power and ground circuits. This high/excessive resistance causes over heating and melting of the wire harness and insulation.
I agree with many of the previous postings stating that Mini should have conducted a safety recall. In the meantime all the owners of the affected
cars should have the power and ground circuits cleaned and sealed against moisture intrusion.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
How did it go? I need to do mine...

Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Replacing Power Steering Punp

Any one have a step by step to replace the PS Pump? Easy to get to? Any special tools? I am thinking of doing it myself.

Photos would be great. Video would be better. A friend who will do it for me...priceless.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
This is all I could find at the moment.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Power steering pump - Where is it?

Where is the power steering pump? Is it easy to get to? Easy to replace?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IT's down behind the oil pan...

you'll see the fan for it, or the plastic duct that takes air to the fan. The PS pumps is the big log like thing right behind it, on a plate at the front of the subframe cross-member.

Hunt around at www.realoem.com for graphics....

Matt

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Is it easy to figure out and change?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That depends on how handy you are...

but many have done it.

Matt

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
Stiff feeling steering??

I have a 2002 MCS and the steering is starting to feel "stiff" or heavy when trying to park or turn at slow speeds. It drives fine a highway speeds but not at slows speeds. Could this be the power steering pump or the steering rack? Both cost a lot so I would like to only fix whats needed.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
pizmo pete
1st Gear
Hi, I also have a 2002 and the first thing to check is the p/s fluid. DO NOT USE REG PS fluid. Mini uses Pentesol only...if ok check the ps fan fuse....if ok listen for whine at slow speeds. if the pump failed it will be very hard to steer. They can be rebuilt for $200. or new 450...dealer 750....installled 1200....do it your self cheepo...4 bolts 2 hoses 1 clip it's out new fan while your at it....search the forum for how to....

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread