Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
dL_EVO
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried fixing the powersteering pump? What is it EXACTLY wrong with it.

I don't really feel like dropping $600 bucks.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
dL_EVO
2nd Gear
bumP!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pump never really fails as far as I know. Its the motor or the electronic control circuit that goes.

My problem was probably a fluke with the terminals rotting off, but from what I have seen, replacing the brushes in the motor or just using a little QD on the electronics sometimes fixes things.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
Should I have my power steering pump rebuilt before it is broken?

I'm doing some suspension work on my 04 Cooper and have the power steering pump out of the car.

The pump seems to be making a lot of wining noise. I can hear it from inside the car (CVT). I know some noise is expected, but I don't have a reference car to judge how much noise is right and how much is wrong.

Seems I've seen posts go in both directions on remanufacturing these pumps.

Do the remanufacturers improve anything on the pump, or do they just fix it back to equivalent to new? Do they solve the problem of the pumps failing?

Is there one source to remanufacture the steering pump that stands out above others?

So the big question is, is it smart to send my pump off now while I have it out of the car and can afford the time (I have another car) and have it rebuilt, or if it ain't broke is there nothing to fix?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
savage
2nd Gear
replacing power steering pump and...

unplugged the big plug and when we went back with the new pump to plug the big plug in realized that the old ps pump's connector spade had broken off inside the connector and now we cant get it out. does anyone know a way to solve this problem?

if i need a new connector, can i do a splice and just get the end connector off a wrecked mini?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by savage
if i need a new connector, can i do a splice and just get the end connector off a wrecked mini?
I wouldn't splice it, but that's just me. That sucker has a lot of amps through it. But an electrician or someone else may be of help. If you can't get it out, you may need to replace the whole harness. $50 from Mini. Easy
to do.
Bryan

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
savage
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
I wouldn't splice it, but that's just me. That sucker has a lot of amps through it. But an electrician or someone else may be of help. If you can't get it out, you may need to replace the whole harness. $50 from Mini. Easy
to do.
Bryan
i have the car on jackstands, and link to diy?

also, where might i find the harness?

Last edited by savage; 08-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
To remove to wire harness? No link for that. You have to pull the air box/ECU and un-bolt (2 bolts I think) the fuse box, it has a similar connection as at the pump. It's the big fat red lead next to the battery input. Been few weeks so my memory is not too good.

The dealer had one in stock, guess why, these suckers fail!!! No help from MINIUSA.

I had to replace everything except the rack! Fan, pump, pressure hose, and wire harness.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
To remove to wire harness? No link for that. You have to pull the air box/ECU and un-bolt (2 bolts I think) the fuse box, it has a similar connection as at the pump. It's the big fat red lead next to the battery input. Been few weeks so my memory is not too good.

The dealer had one in stock, guess why, these suckers fail!!! No help from MINIUSA.

I had to replace everything except the rack! Fan, pump, pressure hose, and wire harness.

Good luck.
Expensive...right? I've got a friend whose '02 is in pretty much the same boat and he's agonizing over having to spend this much on a power steering pump etc. Ouch!

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 AM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
About $700 parts alone! I did all the labor or it would have been at least $1600..

Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
epanarese
3rd Gear
Is my power steering pump dying?

Bought a used mini a bit over a week ago with 68k miles, and now its squealing like a pig every time I turn the wheel. It seems to squeal even louder when the car is stopped or moving slowly and I try to turn the wheel.

Is failure imminent? I at least have the CT state mandated 2 month dealer warranty on the car. Is it the pump or the fan? Is it safe to drive?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Somebody really needs to do a "How To" (with pics) on the subject of replacing the power steering pump and fan on Gen. 1 Mini's.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
Need video of this. they should make noise but not alot of noise.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
if fluid level is good then yes pump is f'd .

Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
How do you describe squealing? The pumps whine and the whine seems to get louder as they go bad. That said some MINIs are louder from day one than others. Mine was quite loud new and lasted 80k.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
Somebody really needs to do a "How To" (with pics) on the subject of replacing the power steering pump and fan on Gen. 1 Mini's.
I saved this DIY link for a PS pump replacement for future reference. Hope it helps.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
I saved this DIY link for a PS pump replacement for future reference. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the link....the best I've seen (I wish it had a few pics). A friend has an '02 Mini with a bad power steering pump. Quoted $1900 to replace it...a bit out of his budget right now...sooo he's thinking of DIY.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
Thanks for the link....the best I've seen (I wish it had a few pics). A friend has an '02 Mini with a bad power steering pump. Quoted $1900 to replace it...a bit out of his budget right now...sooo he's thinking of DIY.
$1900 is insane even for a dealer. BBA Remanufacturing
does a rebuild of your pump for 200.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mimini1
$1900 is insane even for a dealer. BBA Remanufacturing
does a rebuild of your pump for 200.
Insane is right and out the question. This was not from a Mini dealer (although a BMW specialty shop)....and I'm pretty sure the $1900 quote was w/a rebuilt pump (not a brand new one).

Old 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
blonda
3rd Gear
I was wondering about this myself. I had my 05 at the dealer two weeks ago getting a bad 02 sensor swapped out and an oil change. They talked me into changing out the PS fluid due to the known issues with the pump and it is now part of their "recommended" maintenance. I wouldn't have gone for it aside from the fact that my oil change was, much to my surprise free, because the previous owner had purchased extended service plan through the warranty period. (I bought the Mini just 4 mos ago from a VW dealer).

Anyway...to get to my point. The other morning I noticed that when I was not moving and turned the wheels it sounded like I was running over a cat . Not screaching loud but I swear I thought there was a cat behind me or something...until I realized it was the pump. So is this normal? I only have 2 most left on the warrany so if it's going, I want it to go now HA HA

The dealer did do a full inspection and didn't come up with any issues. I guess it would be a good idea to go check the PS fluid level...
Oh by the btw, only 29K on the Mini

Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
Looks like I am needing a replacement pump... not rebuildable.

Who has the hot deals these days on replacement power steering pumps, new and/or rebuilt?

Should I make a point to get the updated pump that is supposedly quieter?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:55 AM
R53
4th Gear
Power steering Pump leaking

My power steering still feels normal... but i was told by my mechanic that its leaking. Does this spell the end of my power steering pump? will i need a new one or is it repairable ? can i still use the car knowing that its leaking?
thank you.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
IDK, but if you have to buy a new one, I might buy your old one off you... I broke the electrical connector on mine and might be able to combine the two into one good pump.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 AM
R53
4th Gear
how much do these pumps cost also?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
The problem you may run into (same problem I have) is many require a core charge and you return your good core to them. If yours is leaking, it may not be rebuildable, so you may not get your core charge refunded.

I'm finding about $450 to $700 ish and I'm finding rebuit and new. I also see the new ones have been updated to reduce noise, which would be super cool for me as mine wined like a banshee (only reason I sent it off for repair, but it broke in shipping, D'oh!).

I've seen core charges from $40 to $150. Ouch if they won't take your old pump.

I would like to see some posts on the latest recommendations on new or rebuild power steering pumps (I have an '04 R50) as well.

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread