Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 PM
tw8715
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys! saved me a few bucks i think.

but i think im gonna change it anywaise.. seems a little to dark for me.

ALSO if car is ON. in PARK. and i turn the steering wheel a little..

RPM drops... which is normal in almost all cars... but the headlights also dim and the car shakes a little.

wats causing this? any fix?

thanks

Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 PM
tw8715
1st Gear
bump

Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tw8715
thanks guys! saved me a few bucks i think.

but i think im gonna change it anywaise.. seems a little to dark for me.

ALSO if car is ON. in PARK. and i turn the steering wheel a little..

RPM drops... which is normal in almost all cars... but the headlights also dim and the car shakes a little.

wats causing this? any fix?

thanks
You're putting a load on the engine when turning the wheel, thus the dimming lights and drooping idle. Try goosing the idle a bit and turning the wheel. Don't look for problems. If you have them, they'll find you.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 AM
R53
4th Gear
OK so my power steering pump is definitely leaking, Put the car on the lifts and there was a lot of fluid/oil underneath the car coming from the power steering pump. The whine is also very loud when turning, if the car is at rest.

Possibly how long will this power steering pump last till it dies completely?
How does the steering feel when its dead? is it still drivable ?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
I can't help you on predicting complete failure, but I can help you with getting a good price on a new unit. I have searched exhaustively and I ended up buying one from this eBay seller, Buy It Now price ~$425 + $18 shipping. Hard to beat that. Oh and NO core charge!!

I did save a few dollars with his Best Offer feature. I don't know if it is the "redesigned unit" or not, but it is the actualy pump manufacturer Mini uses, ZF.

It arrived yesterday and looks perfect. Very well packaged. Installation will tell the tale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-...d=p3911.c0.m14

Hope this helps you, R53.

Dwayne

Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 AM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
Can you tell where the leak is? at a hose fitting, from the pump itself?

Can't tell you how long it will last, but when mine went, I had no power assist. It was drivable but took more effort to make tight turns, highway didn't notice as much.

If soup's ebay find is legit, thats a decent deal. I have a friend who is a BMW tech, that's about the same price he could get one. Make sure they put the correct fluid when replacing.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM
mcfreeak
1st Gear
power steering idle dip. r50

My 2002 r50 Has a dip in the idle when ever the power steering pump activates. This is only a problem when I first (hot or clod) start the car. The pump fluid is fine but the pump make a whine noise when ever it runs. I have never worked on a electric power steering pump and Im stumped.
Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I understand this is completely normal the noise and the slight power drop, + slight RPM drop

Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When did 'quieter' ZF power Steering pump come out?

My 2005 (Sept 2004 build) MCSC’s power steering pump is making a lot of noise. I assume it should be replaced before it goes completely (and also probably the cooling fan – haven’t yet tested whether it runs when the AC is on). I’m trying to decide whether to go with a rebuild or new pump. I’d like to go the (less expensive) BBA Remanufacturing route. But if what I have now is the older, noisier pump then a new one might be tempting.

Does anyone know when the revised, quieter ZF pump started getting used in production? Or how to tell them apart?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure how to tell, other than maybe looking at the dataplate on your pump.
If you go to real-oem, put in you vin.or production date....if it shows the old pump model #, then shows superseeded, and shows the new one, this might show some useful info. I was told that when I got my 05', 11/04 build, that it had an improved pump. Not sure if it was only refering to the fan/grill that was added to the '05, but so far so good. I did add the power-steering duct kit to my car...was about $80 from moss, and I feel a wise investment to extend the life of the pump/fan combo by guarenteeing good airflow. I have heard of a few people having second failures of the remanfacured units...so maybe they are just cleaning them up, and putting in new brushes...perhaps the electroics inside get flakey due to tempture....and it will pass the bench test after rebuild, only to fail on the car. Since labor and down time is so $$$, I would think long and hard about the rebuilt unit, even if they are local.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 11-13-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I just had my pump rebuilt by them and I am very happy! I bought their package thru Ebay since it included shipping for $200 and still had the lifetime warranty. I shipped the pump on Wednesday (it comes with overnight shipping) and I had it back by Monday. The rebuilt pump is quite and works great!

Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Bajanmini
3rd Gear
I have a BBA reman pump running for a year or so in my Mini,no problems and they were great to deal with.Recomended

Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
lou
2nd Gear
Agreed - about nine months on the rebuild. Mine was erratic when hot. The more common I believe is the run on which is the usual condition. Great people to work with.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:33 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm glad to see so many people have had good luck, I unfortunately had one that was rebuilt, that started having problems after two weeks. Had to replace it with a new one, and it's been fine since.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Bajanmini
3rd Gear
My girlfriend's Nissan pump failed and recomended BBA-reman as i had mine done,dealer wanted some redicilous price ,they had not done this Nissan model but wanted to have it as a ginueapig and offered to fix if possible for free with no guarantee,we had to pay shipping,pump has been back in for 3-4 months and works fine,now that's service.I wonder how many buisnesses would do that.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
tgreene73
1st Gear
power steering hose replacement

I have a 2006 MCS with 62k miles - so my power steering pump appears to be working fine -but the fluid was leaking so I brought it to the dealer and they told me both lines are leaking( main line and return line) my first year in NY from Miami for a winter so am assuming due to the extreme cold. they quoted me a price of 607 for replacing both so I said thanks but no thanks ordered the parts online and now intend to do replace both hoses myself-I am looking for pointers guidance,advice etc. , I already purchased 2 cans of PS fluid-pentosin-chf 11s one of which I used to refill the resevoir already. I am specifically curious about the clamps holding the hoses on-can i reuse the old ones or will new ones come with the hoses I ordered, also any other insights are incredibly appreciated.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
e_rkk
1st Gear
$607 bucks!!! wow, what a rip. That's just about a new pump!

I was just looking at mine as well while I was under the car looking to replace my psp cooling fan. Looks like they used an ear clamp for the lines, I suspect that a screw type clamp would work just fine as a replacement, might be real tight working there though! Just make sure you don't overtighten them. To remove the ear clamp cut them parallel to the clamp, (http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=445) I've used a pair of tin snips to cut them off, just want to be careful not to pinch them any tighter than they already are because it appears the connection pipes are plastic, at least on the resevoir.

Not sure if the kit you purchased comes with the clamps but they're cheap at any auto parts store, lowes or home depot.

I'd recommend emptying the system as best you can first, use a mityvac or something. Probably make it less messy.

Bentley manual says upon refilling, turn the wheel stop to stop twice, then check the level again. I'd do that then give it a whirl around the block and check again.

Looks pretty easy to do, but it's in tight quarters.

Have fun!

Rich

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
When getting an estimate from a dealer you are not familiar with it may be best to obtain a print out of the work order estimate. That way you can see exactly what work is to be performed and what the estimated labor charges are. It leaves wiggle room for error later on should there be any discrepencies and they can print one out for you in 5 seconds.

You could also check in with your local MINI club, most are registered here in NAM. They may be able to direct you to a preferred MINI Mechanic they patronize.

This is the thread for your area clubs
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-england-18/

Good luck and welcome to New England !

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Mine were just replaced also (under warranty). The only tip I can give you is to consult the repair manual to check on purging the air out of the system after changing the lines and refilling. usually, it involves turning the wheel full lock to lock a few times and refilling.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
CooperRs
2nd Gear
Curious to how your mini feels/handles/rides while you are have this problem?

Last edited by CooperRs; 01-13-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Gil-galad
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were in your shoes, if I had to do the hose replacement work you describe I would most definitely go ahead and take the extra step of removing, inspecting, and cleaning/refurbishing (or even replacing) the EHPS Pump itself.

It seems that the 75K to 100K mileage range is generally when problems start to arise due to wear of the electric motor brushes and all of the dust and goo that collect within the pump as a result. Doing some preventative maintenance now might save you some additional grief in the near term.

There are several DIYs floating around that explain how to do this. The best one I've seen is over on the MINI2 forum.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM
tobey1kenobi
1st Gear
Power steering pump

Anyone know who i need to contact to see if i can get some kind oif reimbusement for my power steering pump? I purchased a new one through s-g imports, and I heard that BMW will sometimes give a little kick back for having to buy one.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey1kenobi
Anyone know who i need to contact to see if i can get some kind oif reimbusement for my power steering pump? I purchased a new one through s-g imports, and I heard that BMW will sometimes give a little kick back for having to buy one.
If you find anyone at BMW who will fund the replacement you will be the first.
The pumps are a know problem but unless under warranty I don't know of anyone getting one covered.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yup. I think you're SOL on this one.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Gil-galad
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a precedent. The BMW UK folks have been quite accommodating with honoring "goodwill" claims for EHPS Pump replacements that are out of warranty, even for MINIs up to 6 years and 100K miles. Caveat is that the pump can't come from a third-party supplier.

Feel free to check out the extensive history as reported in this MINI2 thread:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...te-yes-no.html

This thread is also a great source for DIY instructions on refurbishing the pump.

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread