Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 PM
gtlsoccer11
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't check to see if the fan is working but as soon as I get I chance I will check on the fan first. Most likely I think is the pump because the guys at Firestone would it notice that.(They love my Mini!!) I will check anyways.

Thank you Minimaniacs for all your help!!

By the way is there any clubs or people that want to get together in Corpus Christi and the valley area?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Jason53
Neutral
Power Steering?

I just bought a 2003 Cooper S that is in great shape but a week after buying it the power steering has gone out. I went back to the dealer and complained that fuid was low so they orderd and gave me the liter of CHF-11 that you can't find in a parts store. I topped it off but nothing happened. Being hydrolic, does it need to be bled or do those electro-hydrolic pumps fail fairly consistantly?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to the 1st Generation MINI's section and open the Stock Problems /Issues folder then use the forum search: power steering, PS etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Did you get a warranty from the dealer yo bought it from? Did you notice any unusual noises coming from the engine that would've indicated the pump was having trouble before you bought it? Unfortunately, this is one of the weak spots of our MINI's.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Jason53
Neutral
No, there were no noises coming out of the engine compartment to indicate any kind of problem. It came with a 90 day warrenty for the drive train and I was not going to spend $2300 on the warrenty. I'm sure if I have to replace the power steering unit it will cost me $1500 or so after pricing them on the internet. I just thought there may be an easy way to bleed the pump or insure that there is no air causing the problem.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
pizmo pete
1st Gear
too much

Hey if you have to replace it you can buy it for $500. or have it rebuilt for 300. Usually if you run the pump dry you may have cooked it. You should have heard the whine get louder as the pump was failing..It's not too hard to do yourself 4 bolts 1 clamp and expensive pentasol in your face..but once you put the new one in it's better when you do it yourself. NAM is the best place to learn.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah...$1500 is kinda pricey....I would check again...the pumps run as previouly stated from $200 ish for rebuilds to 500-600 new, and a few hours of labor. The 1500 you got quoted might have been for a rack, not the ps pump. I would also get a new ps cooling fan, 133-180$ to to safeguard you new pump. Many have done them as DIY's...but it might not be a good first project. CHS-11, the ps fluid is avalable at mini, BMW, vw, napa, and some big box auto stores.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-26-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Jason53
Neutral
pizmo pete & ZippyNH, Thanks for your input. I've checked on the prices of the pumps and the cooling fan sounds like a good idea. I could do it myself but I'm just still fuming about it going out a week after I bought it. Spending $2500 on an extended warranty didn't sound good at the time and it still doesn't. Considering the fact that there was no noise from the pump I am thinking that maybe it needs to be bled. Most hydralic equipment with air in the lines don't work to well. I'll just deal with the armstrong steering until I get a chance to try that this weekend. Thanks again for the input.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Ps pumps never need to be bleed. Sorry....but since it is an open system, with fluid circulating, the act of filling the resiviour, and turning the wheel to the stops, both directions, and it will be fulley bleed.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
pizmo pete
1st Gear
You can also bleed the system but turing the wheel all the way to each side. Easier on lift or put wheels on slippery paper. Check fluid and also check the fuse.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pizmo pete
You should have heard the whine get louder as the pump was failing.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought with our cars the whine meant the pump was healthy?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 04Mini-S
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought with our cars the whine meant the pump was healthy?
New pumps, and 05'+ cars got an updated pump that was much quieter. So depending on the year, or if the pump has been replaced you may or may not hear it. The ps pump cooling fan is important to ensuring the pump has a long life, as it does not get much natrual airflow, and the motor is a dc motor with brushes, so it is a bit of a wear item, like an alternator.
Since I live in a snowey area, and had 2 ps fans die in 3 years, I installed the ps fan duct that was standard on some 06 "s", cabrio's, etc. When this item came out, mini announched that they had updated the ps desgin to ensure long life, and allievate relilability concerns. At only $80, if it saves just one $133-180 ps fan, it paid for itself...and if it extends the life of the pump...iceing on the cake!!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM
blaqr53
Neutral
r53 Power Steering replaced and PROBLEMS CONTINUE

My 2004 MCS went into the shop this week due to a problem with power steering giving out for seconds at a time then recovering. Also, when this would happen, the gauges would dim, Temp and Gas needles would drop, and odometer would reset. I told the shop to check the alternator/battery, because I thought it may be an electrical issue, but all came back in good condition. I had the power steering pump/fan/and hoses replaced (recommended by the independent MINI mechanic). All was fine for 2 days, and this morning the same thing happened! I paid a pretty penny to have the work done to my power steering which appears to not be the root of the problems, so I am trying to get some feedback before my MINI modification fund is depleted once again by another service.

Has anyone else experienced these problems before?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Did they check the wireing harness that goes to the ps pump...a few have chafed....was the pump a rebuilt unit? They sometime fail pretty quick.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
blaqr53
Neutral
I had a new pump installed. I am taking the car back up to the shop shortly, so I will tell them to inspect the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One tip when working with a shop...tell then the symptoms....maybe say "I read that x can cause this problem", but leave it up to them to troubleshoot, and decide which items to swapout....that way you will viewed as perhaps a knowledge rescource by the guy turning the wrench, rather than a bossy custmoer that said replace part z.
With a great shop, it won't matter, but they could just do what you say, and not use their heads...and that is realy what you pay the $$ in a shop for...experance...it can save you thousands of dollars, and days of downtime.
Good luck!!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in a dealership replaced parts under warranty are kept in a seperate place . they are then checked by the manufacturer for defects . if a dealer is caught swapping parts just to eliminate stuff at the manufacturers loss; there's hell to pay . so if a small shop is doing this on your dime there should be hell to pay also . your money is just as green as a shareholders' . all future work is on them till it's fixed in my mind .

Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Power steering stopped working, turned off car, working again

Hey guys,

I made a tight turn at a gas station, I would say that I had my wheels locked to the left for about a second. Then, when I went to reverse, I couldn't move my steering wheel, the power steering had stopped. I turned off the car and turned it back on, and it's been fine the whole way home.

Any ideas? Am I prone to a power steering failure? It's an 05 S with 88k kms (54k miles) on him. First time it's happened!

Thanks.

Justin.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:53 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Hmmm, sounds just like Windows on my PC...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM
windman
2nd Gear
Power steering lines leak.

I just got finished replacing my power steering pump but I still have a leak. I think it is coming from my the high pressure side. I dont know if i can replace the rubber part of the high pressure side or if i need to replace the whole hose. I looked the new hose up and they are expensive for just a rubber hose. I was just wondering if anyone had replaced thiers.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
pandamoon
Neutral
Power Steering

I took my car into the dealer for a 60,000 miles tune up and he told me that I need a new power steering pump. My power steering shuts down when it gets too hot.

Is anyone having the same problem? I've been reading on UK sites, and they already issues a warning.
http://newmini.wordpress.com/2009/02...ering-failure/

Is there anything we can do in the U.S. to have mini do a recall on the pumps?

Thanks
Janine Zhu

Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
Yes this is pretty common, no recalls on the pumps though. I keep a couple in stock at all times just cause we replace so many.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 767 Likes on 625 Posts
Sounds like you'll be needing a power steering pump soon.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Way, is the issue the pump, or the fan? Both?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you live near most any large town, any good airconditioning repair facility can replicate your high pressure hose pretty reasonably

YD

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread