Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Way said - I had this issue a long whole ago. As the pump heats up or sucks too much juice, (or throws an error to the ECU) it'll deactivate until you restart the car.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
when did you replace? it's only happened once now and I do have it at a tight lock in the driveway twice everyday. has not happened since!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 AM
4u2
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering fail 2005

thanks to anybody who may be able to help us out.

question: dose anybody have experience of damage done due to power steering pump failure by continued use after failure / steering column / bushings / suspension / bearings / or any other front wheel drive wear? thanks for your input. owner of 05 s cab 24,000 miles.

power 2 u

Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 AM
gtlsoccer11
Neutral
Video coming soon.

I just got a call that my power steering pump is fixed. They will ship it today. Since I was the one that uninstall that thing, well I'm going to install it. This time I will have a friend help me take video so it can help some of you guys on the installation process. It was'nt hard to get it off, as loong as you have the right tools. Expect the video next week-end.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
c-bol
Neutral
Steering Pump Disaster

I have an 03 Mini Cooper, with about 137,000 miles on it. I had my mechanic (who is a close friend of the family), look into the steering, and he said the pump, and the fan are shot...however, when i first start the car and cut the wheel immediately, the power steering works anywhere from 5 seconds, to just under a minute, and than all of the sudden its gone.

I am new to this board, but love my mini, and don't want to have to give it up...unfortunately at 137K, the repairs are getting to be more of a burden than anything else. Is there a reliable source for after market steering pumps/fans???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

C-bol

Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some have used BBA Remanufacturing with great success.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ring-pump.html

Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Mine was doing it every now and then for some odd reason and i'm at 100k. But I just waited it out because I didn't feel like buying a new one yet and it's been working BETTER than ever for the last month or so! It's so smooth, seems like the lines were clogged or something. Just wait it out! lol

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
Mine been going out for about a year now. It started slow but now is gone more than there. It was completely gone for two weeks and now works for 10 mins after start up.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
You can also check the electrical connections to make sure they are not corroded.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HBPERRIN
Mine been going out for about a year now. It started slow but now is gone more than there. It was completely gone for two weeks and now works for 10 mins after start up.
In an electric DC motor with brushes...like the PS motor....heat is the main enemy..as it gets hotter, the brushes tend to wear faster, and once the brushes get too far from the commutator, at some point, the transfer of electricity will stop....and the motor will too. Of course if could be the wireing, or the electronics.....but since the carbon from the brushes have nowhere to go (unlike an alternator that is vented), it seems to buildup in the motor, and short it out. Sounds like it is time for a new/rebilt unit.

Good reading...gets kinda deep pretty quick!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_motor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor

Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
In an electric DC motor with brushes...like the PS motor....heat is the main enemy..as it gets hotter, the brushes tend to wear faster, and once the brushes get too far from the commutator, at some point, the transfer of electricity will stop....and the motor will too. Of course if could be the wireing, or the electronics.....but since the carbon from the brushes have nowhere to go (unlike an alternator that is vented), it seems to buildup in the motor, and short it out. Sounds like it is time for a new/rebilt unit.

Good reading...gets kinda deep pretty quick!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_motor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor
Thanks!! I hope to get the pump out this weekend and send it in for a rebuild.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Have you guys seen the sticky thread at the beginning regarding engine bay fires originating from failed PS pumps (and/or the PS pump fan)? When the PS pump cut out for the first time on my 2003 MCS at 95Kmiles, I had it replaced the next day (the shop that I went to was putting a PS pump into another 03 MCS when I drove there) . I parked the car away from other cars and in open areas during that 14 hour period just in case

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by volki
Have you guys seen the sticky thread at the beginning regarding engine bay fires originating from failed PS pumps (and/or the PS pump fan)? When the PS pump cut out for the first time on my 2003 MCS at 95Kmiles, I had it replaced the next day (the shop that I went to was putting a PS pump into another 03 MCS when I drove there) . I parked the car away from other cars and in open areas during that 14 hour period just in case
Yeah...and if you read the thread...a few of the cars that caught fire had had the problem with the PS pump for months.....Usually it is the Fan the fails...it gets missed....then the PS pump fails.....usually that is it.
But the Moral of the story is...if something is not working right...get it looked at!! I am very happy to hear you got your car looked at ASAP!!
Sometimes the wiring harness for the PS pump chaifs....If I had to bet money...that is what caused most of the fires. Warning signs seem to include, but are not limited to PS pumps that stay on after a car is shut off....if this happens beware IMO. I would look closely at the wiring and the pump.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason53
No, there were no noises coming out of the engine compartment to indicate any kind of problem. It came with a 90 day warrenty for the drive train and I was not going to spend $2300 on the warrenty. I'm sure if I have to replace the power steering unit it will cost me $1500 or so after pricing them on the internet. I just thought there may be an easy way to bleed the pump or insure that there is no air causing the problem.

Go here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tructions.html

step by step removal/installation....$1500 for a new pump? Not sure where you got that quote but my new (re-manufactured) pump from BBA was 450 (pump + $150 core charge + $35 shipping - round trip for the core )

Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
Anyone know if I can take the power steering pump out and move the car still. I have a friend that will let me use his lift but the pump will take a couple of days to get back so we will need to move the car out of the shop.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
You will be fine... A few folks have even done a bit of driving while the pump was out for overhaul from what I have read!!
I personaly would advise you to just move it to/from the parking lot.....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-28-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I would advise....
Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
You will be fine... A few folks have even done a bit of driving while the pump was out for overhaul from what I have read!!
I personaly would advise you to just move it to/from the parking lot.....
Kinda worried about making a mess with fluid leaking out. Turning the wheels and all.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The pump is the low point....it should be empty pretty quick...be sure to get the correct petrosin ps fluid...BMW, mini, vw, napa, and some auto parts stores sell it...as do most vendors... It is kinda $$, but I would use all fresh fluid when re-installing the pump...I would also install a new ps fan too to safeguard the new pump...I got one a while back from WayMotWorks for I think $133 a while back...fan only..you install it on the old bracket.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 AM
ikappedkermit
1st Gear
I drove mine for three weeks after the PS pump failed - no apparent harm done to any other components...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
MINIsotaS
1st Gear
Yeah...and if you read the thread...a few of the cars that caught fire had had the problem with the PS pump for months.....Usually it is the Fan the fails...it gets missed....then the PS pump fails.....usually that is it.
But the Moral of the story is...if something is not working right...get it looked at!! I am very happy to hear you got your car looked at ASAP!!
Sometimes the wiring harness for the PS pump chaifs....If I had to bet money...that is what caused most of the fires. Warning signs seem to include, but are not limited to PS pumps that stay on after a car is shut off....if this happens beware IMO. I would look closely at the wiring and the pump.
How would one know if the pump stayed on after the car is shut off? My car used to make a loud whining noise when it was shut off like a fan had continued running. And it would run for a good 5 minutes before shutting off. Eventually this winter my power steering went out all together...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The regular radiator cooling fan can stay on after the car is driven a bit, especialy on a hot day, or driven hard.
Most people that had the ps pump get stck on, were having to disconnect the battery to prevent the battery from dieing because the ps pump was stuck on. Even when driving...the ps pump only runs when called to do so...the advantage of the electric ps pump, it runs only when needed. This helps to improve mpg...at the cost of complexity. Most new cars are rapidly switching to electric ps pumps for this reason.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Bing
Neutral
My 2005 MCS power steering went dead today. I have 45K miles on the car. Is MINI covering this issue ? I would think the power steering pump would last longer than 45K.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bing
My 2005 MCS power steering went dead today. I have 45K miles on the car. Is MINI covering this issue ? I would think the power steering pump would last longer than 45K.
Nope......
On an 05's, you can add the PS duct from MOSS MINI....this will help to ensure a supply of cool air, and protect the PS fan...and keep it from failing, possibly leading to a PS Pump failure......
Most people have said swapping out the pump is not too hard......
$200 or so for a rebuilt (you usually must **** YOUR unit for rebuilding, and wait for it to be done, then returned or.....500$+ for new......plus install and fluid if you pay someone to do it....and the new cooling fan...IF you reuse the current bracket that holds it can be as low as $133......or as high as 180+!!
Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
gbmini03
1st Gear
power steering and idle problem

iv recently got my first mini a 2003 mcs.over the past couple weeks my steering has gotten pretty stiff. i know the whine they have is normal and doesnt seem to be very loud, the p/s fluid is full and in good condition. it also has memory steer at lower speeds. is this a sign of pump failure or possible seized ball joints? my other issue is sometimes i get a rough idle/fluctuation. it seems to run great and only does this at idle after driving for at least ten minutes but doesnt always do it any ideas on what it could be?
thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM
V73W
1st Gear
Power steering a little temperamental

Well I know what's coming, everything that is common Mini issues happens to my car. So sometimes when I crank my car up I don't have power steering for a few seconds, the longest being about 15 seconds. I realize this means I'm not too far from needing a p/s pump but that's fine because I have a extended warranty. My question is how long does this normally go on before complete failure, because I'm probably moving to Tennessee and would like to take it to Nashville Mini dealer for the work. I realize that there is no way to know when it will fail but just from experience how long have yours (mini community) have lastest after first noticing problems. Also will changing out the fluid help any, previous cars I've worked on p/s issues have been at least temporarily fixed by a fluid exchange.

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread