Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 AM
MikeB035
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herbie hind
keep you extinguisher handy!!
yeah - I'm thinking maybe selling it!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 AM
geowit
3rd Gear
Got mine from a yard outside Philly for $100.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MikeB035
sure-no problem. they range from 100 to 250 or so from the salvage yards depending on year. The first one was 210 shipped to my door and looked brand new. Of course it didn't work very long. The second was 175 and I don't have it yet. There is quite a disparity in pricing, i'm guessing it isn't that efficient of a market. Lets say its not eBay. All in all, much better hopefully than a new one at 635 from the dealer and 500 or so remanufactured.
Thanks, I wanted to see the difference between the OEM re-man and used. FYI, we sell the OEM re-man for $401.10.

Steve

Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
I had this exact problem and it was covered by my warranty...and i also have an 04. My power steering went out completely randomly while i was driving, then went back on almost instantly. When i shut the car off the fan/pump kept running, so i disconnected the battery and called my dealer. They towed it out there and gave me a new pump, fan, and battery.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
MikeB035
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
I had this exact problem and it was covered by my warranty...and i also have an 04. My power steering went out completely randomly while i was driving, then went back on almost instantly. When i shut the car off the fan/pump kept running, so i disconnected the battery and called my dealer. They towed it out there and gave me a new pump, fan, and battery.
Thanks for the insight. I'm currently waiting for my used pump. I have the used fan. I just disconnect the battery when I park and reconnect it when I want to go again. You should see me climing over the rear seat in my suit to reconnect the battery when I want to get going again. I'd go in through the back but of course the back won't open with no power. Ug... I hope this solves my problem!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
MikeL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure replacing the pump will solve your problem.
I found more information about how this system works on the Bentley Publisher's forum. Apparently the three pins in the small connector are: Ground, Engine Running (comes from the alternator) and a diagnostic bus signal. The pump runs at a lower RPM until it senses a load. There is a pressure transducer inside the pump that causes the pump motor to run at a higher speed when there is a demand. That being the case, all you would have to do to see if the pump is being told to run is disconnect the small connector. If the pump still runs (and I would bet it still does) the problem is internal to the pump.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MikeB035
Thanks for the insight. I'm currently waiting for my used pump. I have the used fan. I just disconnect the battery when I park and reconnect it when I want to go again. You should see me climing over the rear seat in my suit to reconnect the battery when I want to get going again. I'd go in through the back but of course the back won't open with no power. Ug... I hope this solves my problem!
You know you can open the trunk by pulling on the cord thats under the rear seat right?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
You know you can open the trunk by pulling on the cord thats under the rear seat right?

depending on the year, earlier models didn't have the puller

Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joey1320
depending on the year, earlier models didn't have the puller
But the brackets are there, you can retrofit it quite easily.

The 100 amp, fuse #4 in the engine compartment fuse panel, is for the main KL30 power to the pump. You can also pull the 5 amp fuse# 39 in the interior fuse panel, this powers the control unit in the pump, instead of getting under the car and removing the fan to get to the connector, and then you can leave your battery connected.
I hope the next pump works for you.
--Dan

Last edited by Grassroots Garage; 07-21-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 AM
MikeB035
1st Gear
more great info. If I remember right I did pull the #39 fuse and it didn't help anything. When I get back to my car today I will try again. I'd much rather pull the fuse than take the battery cable on and off. I'll also check for the trunk lever. I didn't know about that. Thanks fellas!
Mike

Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 AM
MikeB035
1st Gear
Pulled the 39 fuse and it does nothing. Interesting. Also - got the new (used) pump and new (used) fan and put them all on last night. Much quicker last night than the first time! But all seems well and worked like a charm last night. I'm worried that when I get to the car today I'll have the same problem and the battery will be dead, but thats just paranoia. I'll post again but I'm pretty hopeful! Mike

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
tagrass
Neutral
The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Hey Everyone First Post,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to disable the power steering pump on my 2002 Mini Cooper. I got to work the other day and when I shut off my car the power steering pump stayed on. I have been looking through the forums and I have found alot of other people with power steering issues. Now I know I should go in and have the pump replaced but I cant afford to at the moment. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery every time I park so that the battery dosnt go dead. I had a thought about just pulling the fuses but everyone of them that I tried, that looked like it had something to do with the power steering, didnt affect it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are temp sensors in the pump... sounds like that is what you are a victom of

Yes you can disconnect one or both of the 2 connectors
!!!!!! (legal disclamer .......!!!!!)
the one tells the fan to come on and the other tells the pump NOT to work...
Guess you coud disconect both.

You can buy from a junk yard and HOPE...., buy a remanufactured pump or a new one

This is your powerstering and probably best to do something other than un plug it

where are you located ??
I can do a pump in 30 min ....

Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I got a decent quote to replace mine for $680, by a reputable import garage. How much was your quote for?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where are you located? I'll do it for less than that !
even with a NEW pump

Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
MikeL
2nd Gear
There is a big fuse that could be pulled to disable the pump but I wouldn't recommend it though. No power steering isn't very fun to live with. Without power steering, the car gets unstable going over bumps in corners and you will develop unusually large muscles in your arms dealing with parking lot maneuvers :-0.
The least expensive way to get the problem fixed is to buy a used pump from a wrecking yard and replace it yourself. Wrecking yard pumps typically come with a 30-90 day warranty. The next least expensive way is to have your pump rebuilt by www.bbareman.com or a similar company.
I opted for door number 1 and did the entire job for about $200 including a new fan and a quart of Pentosin CHF-14. No problems since. YMMV.

Last edited by MikeL; 08-13-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling error :-O
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
tagrass
Neutral
Hmm, Maybe I should just save up.

Thanks for the Quick responses.

COR BLMY thanks for the offer but Im in so cal, Just outside of L.A.

I think Im just going to start saving for a new pump. I have a friend that works at the local BMW/Mini Dealer so I think he will give me a good price.

in the mean time, Do you happen to know which fuse to pull? until I can save up enough money to get it replaced. Im going crazy poping the hood and disconnecting the battery every time I park.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
im in kansas

Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 AM
MikeL
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tagrass
Thanks for the Quick responses.
in the mean time, Do you happen to know which fuse to pull? until I can save up enough money to get it replaced. Im going crazy poping the hood and disconnecting the battery every time I park.
Looks like FL4 per this diagram: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&d=1183270692

Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
MOTEC
Neutral
I just picked up my '05-S from the dealer after the pump "overheated." They replaced it with a remanufactured pump. I have 24K and still under warranty--shouldn't I be getting a NEW PUMP vs. a reman??

Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 PM
SarahS
Neutral
Originally Posted by tagrass
Hey Everyone First Post,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to disable the power steering pump on my 2002 Mini Cooper. I got to work the other day and when I shut off my car the power steering pump stayed on. I have been looking through the forums and I have found alot of other people with power steering issues. Now I know I should go in and have the pump replaced but I cant afford to at the moment. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery every time I park so that the battery dosnt go dead. I had a thought about just pulling the fuses but everyone of them that I tried, that looked like it had something to do with the power steering, didnt affect it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just had the same thing happen to me today with my 05 MCS. It has 75k on it and the power steering has gone out a few times after long drives when it is especially hot and heavy traffic. When it first went out, I took it to the dealer (Mini of Sterling) and they said that they couldn't replicate it but they thought it might be the power steering pump and that it would be $1000 to replace (plus they charged me $80 for the 15 minutes they looked at it before saying they couldn't replicate it). Then tonight, the power steering keeps working but the fan won't turn off. I had to disconnect the battery. I had read that earlier MCSs had the power steering fuse connected with the radiator, is that still true for 05's? And aside from discomfort while driving (I used to have cars without power steering so I don't mind driving without it for a while) is there any other reason why disconnecting the power steering should be avoided? I am no where near being capable of shelling out $500 right now for a rebuilt pump let alone $1000 for Mini to replace it. As for getting a replacement at a wrecking yard (and I apologize but I know very little about car stuff) does it have to come from a Mini and if so does it have to be an S? Is there a specific type of pump I should ask for if it doesn't have to come from a Mini?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM
MikeL
2nd Gear
Look at post #5 in this thread for the answers to the first questions. The pump has to come from a Mini. Doesn't matter if it is an S or not. Just ask for a power steering pump and they will get you what you need. I would recommend that you look for one with lower miles if you get a used one. Also the longer the warranty period the better.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
SarahS
Neutral
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
NHTSA Power Steering Complaint for Power Steering

Just finished filing a NHTSA Complaint for my recent power steering failure. In my search for fixes I find Mini has some duct work to prevent failure. You would think this would be a recall, but it isn't. When your pump fails you had better be strong to get the car to turn.

I suggest others with the pump failure also file a complaint. So far there are three complaints filed. I have seen more than that here when I search power steering pump.

Paul

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Wow only three???... i've seen so may complains here on NAM about PS... too bad NAMer do not report this to NHTSA :(

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread