Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 AM
jso123
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find a mechanic to remove/install it for you. Box it and mail to BBA. They charge about $225 with shipping to remanfacture it - good as new. A local BMW mechanic charged for 2 hours total - $200. You can drive w/o the pump, but not too too long or I told you might damage something. Takes about a week in total to remove, repair and replace.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Do a search there are MANY PS threads

Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jso123
Find a mechanic to remove/install it for you. Box it and mail to BBA. They charge about $225 with shipping to remanfacture it - good as new. A local BMW mechanic charged for 2 hours total - $200. You can drive w/o the pump, but not too too long or I told you might damage something. Takes about a week in total to remove, repair and replace.
That's a great option if you can afford the downtime. Hopefully I won't need their service soon but something to file away if/when I do. Thanks!

Here is their eBay listing.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
MCS April of 2003. Power Steering pump failure and fire.

Complaint I filed follows:
I purchased my '03 MINI Copper S with 49K from a Honda in Mechanicsburg, PA dealer in August. In December, I purchased tires and then went to a self-service carwash afterward. When I got home and before I put it in the garage, I took out the hose and washed off the wheels and under the car.
During the process there was white smoke, which I thought was steam from the water hitting the manifold.
I put the car in the garage and later when my wife came home she commented on the smoke and mist in the garage (it was quite cold that night.)
The next day when I pulled the car out, the steering was very stiff and I only drove it out the driveway and on the road before I realized the power steering was completely out. I drove it about 15 miles to the dealer after checking fuses and determining that the problem was beyond my mechanical skills.
The power steering pump, fan and harness were replaced along with the battery (shorted out). Insurance adjusters from HondaCare (extended warranty), State Farm Insurance Company (my comprehensive insurance) and the dealership determined that the power steering pump had caught fire. Their conjecture was that I had put out the fire with the hose when I sprayed under the car.
Honda care paid $1999 from extended warranty for the power steering pump, battery, power steering harness and fan.
A total of $2700 additional from State Farm comprehensive insurance (HondaCare extended warranty would not cover harness, towing and diagnostic work from the MINI dealer in Maryland, etc because they were the result of damage caused by the power steering pump fire); State Farm insurance was exceptional and covered the difference with comprehensive covered.
The parts are not available at this time but I was told that there are reports including pictures from adjusters at HondaCare and from State Farm Insurance.

Last edited by thecigarman; 02-20-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: reformat
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Hard to read.... Can you reformat your post?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Thartek
1st Gear
How did this turn out? How was GermanAutoParts.com?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
whovous
5th Gear
I was very happy with the result. It was a little more expensive than the BBA route, but my car was out of service for hours, rather than days, so I think it was well worth the price difference. I do not recall exactly what I paid, but it was a whole lot less than the dealer.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
^^^ Hard to read.... Can you reformat your post?
Done.

Last edited by thecigarman; 02-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I am ignoring this thread because I have never had an issue and don't want to jinx myself. However I did prophylactically replace a wearing out/loud PS cooling fan, which I think can be part of the problem as to overheating of the pump. Time will tell.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I am ignoring this thread because I have never had an issue and don't want to jinx myself. However I did prophylactically replace a wearing out/loud PS cooling fan, which I think can be part of the problem as to overheating of the pump. Time will tell.
According to a tech I've talked with about this, the fan dying is a precursor to the pump dying. Make sure the fan works & replace if it gets noisy or is rough when turned. I'm keeping an eye on mine. It was replaced already due to it's sound. When checked the fan was very rough in its rotation.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
According to a tech I've talked with about this, the fan dying is a precursor to the pump dying. Make sure the fan works & replace if it gets noisy or is rough when turned. I'm keeping an eye on mine. It was replaced already due to it's sound. When checked the fan was very rough in its rotation.
Exactly... Mine did that and I replaced it before the fan became not operational.

Last edited by k_h_d; 02-21-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Well... it happened to me tonight.

My car (2003 MCS 44,7XX miles) had sat for the past two days and the weather has been just below freezing. I drove it roughly 5 miles in snowy conditions around 7:30PM. Parked the car and left it running for a half an hour or so while waiting for my girlfriend to arrive (heat running at 76 degrees). As soon as she arrives, I pull out of the spot to go get some food. No power steering.

I drive about a half mile around the plaza, pull over to Wal-Mart to look under the hood underneath the bright lights in the parking lot. I think I could hear a faint "sucking sound", if you will. From what I could see, the power steering fluid was full.

I went back to where she had parked and looked where my MINI had been- a pretty large puddle of fluid (couldn't tell the color because it was in slushy snow). No check engine lights or other indicators!

So the car is currently sitting overnight at this plaza (hopefully not going to be towed or stolen.. car theft is a huge problem right now) and going to be flatbedded to a shop tomorrow.

I'm wondering if perhaps I have a leak in a hose or the power steering fluid reservoir cracked and is leaking? This would explain the puddle and perhaps why the power steering went out. I figure a drop in pressure and fluid could cause it to go out. But that's me being optimistic!

In all likelihood the power steering pump or I even thought maybe the rack and pinion. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
I would also like to add that I didn't have any noises, smells or other indicators. The power steering just simply went out. Car drove fine to the plaza and a bit earlier in the day.

I do recall over the past week or two seeing small spots on my driveway underneath my car. I thought it was leaking oil, but the stains disappeared and left no trace. So I think this leak has been ongoing. Could the leak perhaps be just a symptom of a failed power steering pump?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Holy steering problems! Intermittent binding...

I've tried hard to read as many posts as I can - none seem similar, surprisingly.

Just this past week the steering has gotten "sticky" - the best way to describe it is similar to a binding u-joint in the lower steering shaft - very notched feeling off center, hard resistance, then free, normal steering effort after, with notched spots as you spin back and forth.

I work as a service advisor for Toyota - it's almost identical to a binding u-joint on the lower steering shaft on a Camry or Sienna, but before I fire one off, two questions:

1. Is this common, or fairly common?

2. Before I fire a part at it, what else can I check/inspect? There's a lot of stuff involved in these systems, and the racks./pumps seem way more common - what else could it be?

Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
My 03 MCS had the issue around 68k miles which started as an off-center binding. The assist or steering effort would feel perfectly normal for a 16th of a turn and then the next 16th was incredibly stiff. From what other's have posted, it is a fairly common problem and on my service record there is a standard "repair kit" for the lower steering rack issue:

32-30-6-763-722 REPAIR KIT, LOWER SECT. OF $145.69

Check it out on RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=32&fg=30

Last edited by lovethecorners; 02-26-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
bluecoop05
2nd Gear
Mine was doing this too a while back. it would almost be stuck and id have to really try to turn the wheel, then it loosened up and was fine again. took it to the dealer and the steering pump was leaking.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bluecoop05
Mine was doing this too a while back. it would almost be stuck and id have to really try to turn the wheel, then it loosened up and was fine again. took it to the dealer and the steering pump was leaking.
If it ends up being the steering pump leaking which is also a possibility (although with less consistent notchy-ness in the same location for each turn) this can sometimes leak into the steering rack which would then have to be replaced. Either way it would be better to be looked at sooner rather than later! Having to replace the whole steering rack is fairly expensive if it were to come to it.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
I think I just joined this exclusive club!

For the past week or so I noticed a very small stain of clear, slightly slippery fluid below the forward part of the engine. This morning as I pull away from the donut shop, the steering gets super heavy.

Its drivable but not for the twisties.

The earliest I can get to it is after next week due to travel. I'll get quotes to see what the range of pain will be.

48K miles, bought new in Aug 06.

Last edited by astrochex; 02-27-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Not a fun problem to have.

Had my MINI flatbedded up to Classic MINI in Willoughby Hills. $250 tow bill.

Then the big bill came: $1500 with a 10% discount. (Mention being active on NAM! That's why I got 10% off!).

Power steering pump ($950+ dollars just for the part) was out and the electronics associated with it were corroded. So 3 days later after driving a Mellow Yellow R56 (automatic, justacooper.. I got some odd looks), I got her back.

Classic did a great job, but hopefully my MINI stays out of the shop for several years. This one hurt the wallet!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
Not a fun problem to have.

Had my MINI flatbedded up to Classic MINI in Willoughby Hills. $250 tow bill.

Then the big bill came: $1500 with a 10% discount. (Mention being active on NAM! That's why I got 10% off!).

Power steering pump ($950+ dollars just for the part) was out and the electronics associated with it were corroded. So 3 days later after driving a Mellow Yellow R56 (automatic, justacooper.. I got some odd looks), I got her back.
I had a similar experience last August, my Cooper had 175K miles on it, so I guess having the p/s pump go might be expected. I was able to drive to my favorite repair shop and got the news later that day. $950 for the pump, BMW is very, very proud of that pump, thus the price.

Now I have developed a leak in the p/s line. Looks like next week I get the lines and reservoir replaced.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found a place that sold rebuilds or would rebuild yours

and posted it in some other thread.... They can't rebuild them all, but if they can, it's about 2 bills....

Matt

Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Peters Dad
2nd Gear
My power steering pump just failed-- 14,000 miles, December '06 build date, MCSJCW. They also found that the power and grounding cables to the pump were corroded and had to replace those. No, I don't live in an area where they use salt on the roads. Fortunately it was covered by warranty- whew!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
The steering felt more normal on the way home from work. I'm under no illusions it fixed itself.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
07CABSMN
Neutral
My rear back up detector sensors were not working. I seen that I had a blown fuse. I decided to take it in to determine what caused it instead of just putting in a new fuse. The reason the fuse blown? The power steering pump fan had some debris in it, caused the motor to short out and blow the fuse. Don't ask me why the back up sensor is relayed to the power steering pump fan? The dealer put in a new fan, I asked about concern on overheating the power steering pump while the fan was out, I was told not to worry, now, after seeing all of this, I am worried!

I now periodically check to make sure the fan is working. I was told this was a common failure, but the owner does not realize it until it is too late.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lovethecorners
If it ends up being the steering pump leaking which is also a possibility (although with less consistent notchy-ness in the same location for each turn) this can sometimes leak into the steering rack which would then have to be replaced. Either way it would be better to be looked at sooner rather than later! Having to replace the whole steering rack is fairly expensive if it were to come to it.
What am I looking for, and where?

Just noticed you were in Newton - maybe you can test drive mine and see if you recognize the issue - I'm in Wilmington, MA

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread