Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
whovous
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid roughly $400 for the pump, and I think Montgomery Autohaus in Rockville, MD, charged me less than $200 for the install. I am definitely not in the DIY class on something like this. I can change my own oil, and I just replaced the front air dam and diverter, but that is pretty much as far as my skill set will take me.

Or maybe not. I may take a stab at rehanging a muffler this weekend.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:50 PM
stoneskid
1st Gear
Can someone tell me how much this repair should cost at the mini stealership? My local mechanic does not even want touch it.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this problem. My p/s fluid kept leaking out because the dealer hacked my tubing to the pump, causing it to leak every time they put a new one in (I have had three replaced because the pumps were "leaking". I was in San Diego for MTTS, and had the dealer look at it to tell me it needed an $1865 steering rack. I dropped the subframe and saw the hose clamp was loose and the end of the reservoir tube was frayed, and was kinda pissed they tried selling me a rack 3,000 miles from home, when it needed a foot of tubing that cost me nothing. If I recall, the p/s pump is around $450. I never had to pay for a dealer repair, so I don't know with parts and labor what you'll pay out the door.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stoneskid
Can someone tell me how much this repair should cost at the mini stealership? My local mechanic does not even want touch it.
Where are you located? I have the pumps and rack in stock if you need for much less than the dealer. The labor time is about 1.5 hours for the pump and dealer list on the part is $683.95 (I have for $395+$25 core). Expect to pay about $25 for a liter of CHF11S.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
GOKAHT, The steering column do fail in this manner, as far as I know, it is a dealer only part, but fairly easy to replaced.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
stoneskid
1st Gear
I am located in northern NJ. I would love to have someone local fix it rather then going to the deal.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
You may want to do a local search for BMW repair shops. I did a quick search and came up with a few (DTA Automotive, Bergen Imports, etc). Get with your local MINI club and see if anyone can make recommendations. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me (even if you just want to double check the cost and validity of the repair).
--Dan

Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
gpugliese
1st Gear
I was having the same resistance issues about a month ago and figured it was something power steering related. I had a local mechanic (just outside Boston) check the PS system and it was fine, but the lower U-joint had seized and the steering shaft needed to be replaced. Took him about 3 hours all said and done.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
beldingsfinest
Neutral
Hose removal??!!

Good evening "Italian Job" and gang. I am in the process of removing my PS pump from my '05 MCS. I see you have done this for your MINI. I cannot figure out how to get the hose (coming from the reservoir) to the pump off. I got the HI-Pressure one with the 13mm bolt off easily, but I need to know if there is some trick to slide the other hose off. I removed the crimped hose clamp, but the thing barely budges! Any ideas/advice would be real helpful.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 PM
stoneskid
1st Gear
What was the total cost?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
gpugliese
1st Gear
~ $200 for the lower steering rack from the local stealership (Herb Chambers in Boston), and three hours of labor at $85 /hour, so give or take $450-500 with some added shop costs.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
stoneskid
1st Gear
thanks for the heads up, going in tomrrow to have it fixed

Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gpugliese
~ $200 for the lower steering rack from the local stealership (Herb Chambers in Boston), and three hours of labor at $85 /hour, so give or take $450-500 with some added shop costs.
Who was it that did the work? I'm in Wilmington, MA myself...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Destructo
1st Gear
Another Power Steering Pump Victim?

Hey everyone, i searched through for a while and found a lot of things that point towards my power steering pump/fan failure.

My car is a 02' MCS, with 92,500 miles.

1. When turning hard at low speed my car sounds like an old Ford Astrovan (the whirring/whining sound.

2. This only occurs when it's warm outside, and with the advent of spring/summer it's happening more and more. When shutting the car down. When completely shut off a motor of some sorts starts up, like trying to get a fan turning, it is coming from the coolant reservoir area, lower down towards the back of the motor area, and my best guess is that it is the fan motor trying to cool down. If i turn the key on to just before starting, the "sound" goes away.

3. I checked the power steering fluid, it's not dry and not gritty, it's smooth.

So my question lies in, is this just the fan that needs to be replaced? Or does the fan and the pump need to be replaced?

Like i said, i searched this and found a lot of different answers all in the general area of my situation. I suppose i'm just posting to find if my specific situation warrants one or the other being replaced.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Please get it replaced.
I had a horrible accident because of mine failing get it checked out asap. If your anywhere near MiniCorsa. i would take it to them. They are truely Experts with Minis. If your not even near them i would encourage you to call them and talk with Danny anyway to see what his thoughts are on it.
I wish you the best of luck

Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Our DIY and Aftermarket parts section have numerous links about the repair, purchase and refurbing of power steering pumps and fans. Since this is becoming an all too often topic for 1st gen Minis, we have concentrated more on the collection of this information.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Destructo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
Please get it replaced.
I had a horrible accident because of mine failing get it checked out asap. If your anywhere near MiniCorsa. i would take it to them. They are truely Experts with Minis. If your not even near them i would encourage you to call them and talk with Danny anyway to see what his thoughts are on it.
I wish you the best of luck
Thanks i called and left a message.

Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Our DIY and Aftermarket parts section have numerous links about the repair, purchase and refurbing of power steering pumps and fans. Since this is becoming an all too often topic for 1st gen Minis, we have concentrated more on the collection of this information.
Awesome site! Thank you.

I suppose my main question is, that are my suspicions correct about needing to replace one or the other?

Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Destructo
1st Gear
Talked to Danny today, nice guy who knows his stuff. He suggested it might be a relay going bad for my cooling system.

On a side note, would a cooler thermostat help out in this situation?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
rotomstel
1st Gear
I read somewhere on NAM that the PS cooling fan comes on with the radiator fan they rely on the same relay. My power steering just went this morning, very sad watching your baby leave on a flat bed

Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 AM
lou
2nd Gear
After chasing a few routes of the PS failure here is what I have.
After the car sits for a cooling period of a least 45 mins it is fine.
Every morning it works fine unless you have a short stop and restart.
After a short stop it usually does not work. As of yet, there have been no driving related failures...always you either start with it or you don't. Fluid level is fine.

Tested and cleaned the PS fan...starts with the AC on OK.

I am thinking this is PS Pump replacement time.

Is this an easy bolt in with of course a fluid mess upon dropping?

If I go the rebuild route will I remember how to bolt it back in without a manual ?

Have I overlooked anything or is it time to replace?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lou, it's time! eyeball the setup before you decide. It should be fairly simple. Remember to get the correct fluid before you start. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Yeah - I think this will be a DIY project. 45K miles. It sounds like my only concern should be the removal of one of the hoses. BBA Reman will be the rebuilder of choice and I am uncertain if the entire pump with bracket should be sent to them.
Anyone willing to vote on this...easy enough it looks like. Do I really need a Haynes manual? Any other ideas?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
mplatt911
1st Gear
Yes use BBA. I did and had it back in a day. Been working fine for the past few months. Took about 1 hr or so to get out and put back in.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Thanks - does the bracket need to come off before shipping?

Just looking to schedule some time under the MINI now.

Any 914's in the olde category of Porsches?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lou
Thanks - does the bracket need to come off before shipping?

Just looking to schedule some time under the MINI now.

Any 914's in the olde category of Porsches?
lou i just had them do mine though i havent had time to put it in . i can tell you to get it to them quick and expect possible delays as they are busy!! they had trouble with mine but were not concerned . they do give a warranty. i would urge you to pull the bracket just so it doesnt get lost .

Quick Reply: The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread