Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

blew a hole in my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:17 PM
InDbluMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blew a hole in my engine!

i got stuck in a flood... im not sure of how deep the water was, but other cars there driving thru with no problem... not just SUVs but other small cars... so i decided to drive thru... half way thru my car locked up and i got stuck... the water wasnt that deep but then again i couldnt tell cuz when other cars drove by me, the waives were splashing against my car.... anyhow when the guy came to tow my car, oil gushed out of my car... and the dealership said there was a hole in my engin... even the insurance adjuster said they may have to total my car.... but to replace the engine they said it would be over 7000.00!!!!!

has this happened to anyone else or anyone know about stuff like this??? im not even sure what i should do now.... i have no clue about cars or costs or anything

Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InDbluMini
i got stuck in a flood... im not sure of how deep the water was, but other cars there driving thru with no problem... not just SUVs but other small cars... so i decided to drive thru... half way thru my car locked up and i got stuck... the water wasnt that deep but then again i couldnt tell cuz when other cars drove by me, the waives were splashing against my car.... anyhow when the guy came to tow my car, oil gushed out of my car... and the dealership said there was a hole in my engin... even the insurance adjuster said they may have to total my car.... but to replace the engine they said it would be over 7000.00!!!!!

has this happened to anyone else or anyone know about stuff like this??? im not even sure what i should do now.... i have no clue about cars or costs or anything
It sounds like your engine hydro-locked. A replacement engine is in your future. You might check to see if a hydrolocked engine would be covered by your car insurance. Otherwise, start saving up.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
spillman
5th Gear
I believe you can get a used long block for 5 to 6 grand.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
I believe you can get a used long block for 5 to 6 grand.
As I said, time to start saving....

Old 07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
WOW. A "USED" long block would cost that much???? Im just sitting here thinking what kind of V8 I could build for that kind of money...

Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SSMini
WOW. A "USED" long block would cost that much???? Im just sitting here thinking what kind of V8 I could build for that kind of money...
But would it (the V8) fit in the MINI's engine compartment????

Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe that would be the way to go....

Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
InDbluMini
Neutral
no my insurance said they would cover it... its just that i just financed it... my lease ended and i financed it... im afraid if they total it they may only pay off the loan and thats it..... the dealership said they talked to my insurance and said they could fix my car and it wouldnt have to be totaled... the only thing is i know they will charge more than a regular place... i dont know anything about cars and not even sure of where else to take the car to if thats the case... any suggestions?????

Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If your insurance company totals your car, they pay you the amount that the car is worth...in terms of "fair market value." They don't care what your loan is or how much you owe. (If you only owed $100 on the car and it was worth $19k, would they just pay off your $100?? No. Just for argument's sake, if you were so upside down and owed $100,000 on that same car, would they pay your $100,000?? No way!)

Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by InDbluMini
no my insurance said they would cover it... its just that i just financed it... my lease ended and i financed it... im afraid if they total it they may only pay off the loan and thats it..... the dealership said they talked to my insurance and said they could fix my car and it wouldnt have to be totaled... the only thing is i know they will charge more than a regular place... i dont know anything about cars and not even sure of where else to take the car to if thats the case... any suggestions?????
To start, don't stress out.... After all, it is only a car. Since you recently purchased the car for the residual amount of the lease, you can expect the residual amount to be the "fair market value" (FMV). If the cost to replace the engine is greater than the FMV, then the insurance company may decide to total the car and write you a check for the FMV. If the cost to replace the engine is less than FMV, then you will likely get the car repaired. The first thing to do is go to the dealer and ask them what they would charge to replace the engine. That should be your starting point. Don't go in and try to cheap out the replacement before you know what replacing it to original specification would cost - you are negotiating against yourself at that point.