Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa harsh downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
boognish
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSa harsh downshift

5 times out of 10, when I decelerate to a stop in my 2006 MCSa, there is a very abrupt and harsh downshift right before actually coming to a stop. I would suspect it is the 2nd gear to 1st gear downshift. Sometimes this happens as I step on the brake to slow down at the beginning of a sharp corner, too. Sometimes, the MCSa is as smooth as silk through all downshifts to a nice smooth stop. Others, I get whiplash. Why is it that the MCSa has so many quirks? Don't mind if it does this often, I can live with it. The question is, is there any harm being done to the transmission when this occurs?

Thanks. Rock on,

-boognish

Old 08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Stripy
Neutral
I also have an 06 MCSa. It does not do what you describe when in drive.

I think there is a feature such that, when you use the paddels in the drive mode (as opposed to having shifted over to sport), the software 'learns' your preferences. Thus, if you tend to drive in a sporty way, it assumes you want this. Early on I noticed that, after some spirited driving (with me shifting), the automatic shiftpoints were more aggresive. I did get some harsh downshifts as you describe. Now, I almost always use the sport mode when shifting aggresively, and that seems to have solved the problem. When in drive it is almost always smooth.

If this doesn't solve it, I'd say you have a problem (probably a simple software fix). I have driven two MCSa's and neither did what you describe with the frequency you describe.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a loaner MCSa for a week and the downshifts definately needed some work to catch up to my left foot, but it was the best automatic I have ever driven. Could just always bump the paddles.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by boognish
I would suspect it is the 2nd gear to 1st gear downshift.

I am not much help here as I drive in Manual mode 100% of the time, but...I am pretty sure that when you are not in manual mode, the car always starts in second, and thus never goes into first unless you put it into first yourself. Someone please correct me if I am wrong .

Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boognish
5 times out of 10, when I decelerate to a stop in my 2006 MCSa, there is a very abrupt and harsh downshift right before actually coming to a stop. I would suspect it is the 2nd gear to 1st gear downshift. Sometimes this happens as I step on the brake to slow down at the beginning of a sharp corner, too. Sometimes, the MCSa is as smooth as silk through all downshifts to a nice smooth stop. Others, I get whiplash. Why is it that the MCSa has so many quirks? Don't mind if it does this often, I can live with it. The question is, is there any harm being done to the transmission when this occurs?

Thanks. Rock on,

-boognish
What year is your MCSa? If a 2005, has it had the DME re-program service campaign performed? My 2005 MCSa (3/23 build) had an infrequent downshift harshness similar to what you have described. If you have a 2005 model MCSa that has not had the DME reprogram service campaign performed, you should definitely have the service campaign performed on your car.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:02 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
My 04/2005 (17k miles)MCSa has the harse downshift from time to time. But I think it happens due to driving style. What I mean is if you are the person who usually waits to brake till your very close to the car in front of you @ a light then it will downshift hard. Start to brake sooner and this problem seems to occur less frequently.

Let me know if this helps. It seems to of in my car.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
HomerJ
3rd Gear
Mine does the same thing occasionally but usually it's after I've been driving around in Sport Drive (SD) for a while.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my wife's late 05 MCSa also downshifts pretty hard when coming to a stop. IT's not every time, but it does happen. I don't drive her's enough around town to figure out any specific pattern to it.....

Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Stripy
Neutral
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
I am pretty sure that when you are not in manual mode, the car always starts in second, and thus never goes into first unless you put it into first yourself. Someone please correct me if I am wrong .

Yup, mine never downshifts into first when slowing to a stop. It downshifts only as far as second, and then starts up again in second. Only way to get it into first is to use a paddle, or really gas it.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
my wife's late 05 MCSa also downshifts pretty hard when coming to a stop. IT's not every time, but it does happen. I don't drive her's enough around town to figure out any specific pattern to it.....
Have you had the DME re-program service campaign done on your wife's car?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Our 06 MCSa does the same thing. Seems to feel harsher over time. I suspect it might be in part due to a failing/failed passenger side motor mount which is causing the motor to shift slightly on downshifts.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
My MCSa does the harsh downshift thing also, so I slide the shifter into SD as I near a stop and it doesn't downshift so hard.

As for stopping in 2nd gear when using the manual mode...that is normal. You must downshift again manually in order to start again in first gear. When I first took my MINI for a test drive, the salesman was with me and told me that the manual auto shifter was just a 5-speed. Imagine his surprise [not to mention utter shock] when I showed him the 6-speed "idea". He had never seen that before and just assumed it was a 5-speed auto, like the Bimmers.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
My MCSa does the harsh downshift thing also, so I slide the shifter into SD as I near a stop and it doesn't downshift so hard.

As for stopping in 2nd gear when using the manual mode...that is normal. You must downshift again manually in order to start again in first gear. When I first took my MINI for a test drive, the salesman was with me and told me that the manual auto shifter was just a 5-speed. Imagine his surprise [not to mention utter shock] when I showed him the 6-speed "idea". He had never seen that before and just assumed it was a 5-speed auto, like the Bimmers.
One more little factoid - when in SD, there are 5 forward speeds.... However, I am a bit surprised about the salesman's statement that the BMW automatic transmissions only have 5 forward speeds. With the exception of the E46 models (Coupes) for 2006, the BMW a/t has 6 forward speeds.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Stripy
Neutral
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
As for stopping in 2nd gear when using the manual mode...that is normal. You must downshift again manually in order to start again in first gear.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't normal. Quite the reverse. It is a good thing for everyday driving. By staying in 2nd it avoids that harsh shift down into first and back again. Not only is it logical in D (where you want it to be smooth) it is also logical in M (where it shouldn't shift for you except to prevent the car from stalling).