Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I think I lost my burble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I lost my burble!!!

I was driving around yesterday on some errands with the sunroof open and both windows down. I noticed that the burble POP POP sound disapeared . Now that I think about it, it's probably been a while.

My car, mechanically is bone stock. No intake, pully or exhaust. The only thing recently done to my car was an oil change. And it was the low mileage oil change since I hit one year before the service count down approached 0 miles.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention and I was desensitized to the sound after a year. Or maybe the POPPING noise comes on after a certain RPM.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Having driven Maximusmini's Camille, an 06 MCS, quite a bit, I have noticed that the burble is more pronounced before the engine warms up. Hope that helps.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, my burble gone too, sure do miss it

Old 08-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an 05 that used to burble and pop all over the place then I had a software "upgrade" for the cold start issue known with 05s and ever since it has been much quieter. I have an ALTA CAI that I modded with sime insulation that made the burble slightly quieter. I know it was dialed back for 06 models because of the complaints but I want the burble back. May start looking into a one-ball a little sooner just to get it back. However I also noticed a rumble (much like a classic V8, only muuuch quieter) at a stop light the other night, made me nervous as I thought the car was going to stall out sitting in neutral, but RPMs were steady.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just found my burble when I installed my Remus exhaust. I know that doesn't help, but I really wanted some burble and now that I got it I can imagine what it's like to lose it. (I've been working on my soft skills.)

...Les

Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Oh Man! I saw a burble laying in the road near I-30 on the west side of Fort Worth and didn't stop. Bet it's gone now . . .

Old 08-05-2006, 02:06 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
My Milltek has a wonderful burble! I'm wondering if the hot weather calms the burble...maybe when the weather cools in autumn, the burbles will return!

Old 08-05-2006, 02:06 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by moreorless
I just found my burble when I installed my Remus exhaust. I know that doesn't help, but I really wanted some burble and now that I got it I can imagine what it's like to lose it. (I've been working on my soft skills.)

...Les
Perhaps when the MINI is new or when you change the exhaust you allow the right mix of air and fuel to make for some nice "automotive acoustic feedback".

Then the ECU learns how you drive and tones this feedback down a bit.

Remedy? Upgrade or trade exhausts with a fellow MINI owner on a regular basis and drive your ECU nuts.

A good burble goes a long way-
http://motoringfile.com/2005/06/28/exhaust_popping/

Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
WHat they don't say is how to retrofit this 05 feature onto an 05 MINI

Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Remedy? Upgrade or trade exhausts with a fellow MINI owner on a regular basis and drive your ECU nuts.
Is that an Rx, Dr. minihune? Maybe he needs more cowbell!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:29 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Oh Man! I saw a burble laying in the road near I-30 on the west side of Fort Worth and didn't stop. Bet it's gone now . . .
DUDE! I was wondering whose burble that was. I've seen quite a few on the sides of interstates lately.

I thought I lost my burble once but realized I was in the wrong car Old age does that to ya!

Check eBay, they always got some burble for sale

Old 08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
My Burble!

So is an "expelled or lost" burble like a purse with an exhaust "fart" in it?

I guess the origins of the burble will go on and on hotly debated for generations to come.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM
moreorless
6th Gear

I could do this. Swappin' the exhaust is fairly easy....mmmm.....Miltek next?
I best start lookin' now cuz it took me 7 months to find a Remus at the right price point!
...Les

Old 08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
The burble was added(or at least increased) in 2005 with a computer tweek by the factory, I'm not sure that pre-05 cars had any burble at all but when they changed your oil, the tech probably plugged his computer into your car to re-set the computer and uploaded the pre-05 computer settings. Our local MINI tech has been uploading the JCW program on all MCS's and has had very good results. I suggest you ask your mechanic to upload the new software and see what happens.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps the gasoline you refueled with contained bean-o as an additive. Best to check. If you can find a blend with jabanero it may return. I haven't found this locally, though.

There...I have exhausted (hey, I made a pun!!!) my technical knowledge of the MINI exhaust system.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
agokart put on my prototype WMS exhaust on thursday with the cutout valve... The burble in my December 04 (05 MY) has now been upgraded to a full fledged backfire. It's sick!

Mikey

Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Mother******!!! I was driving around with both windows down and the sunroof open and no popping noise. WTF? I had a 2006 Cooper S loaner recently and it was making the POPPING sound whenever I got off the gas. It was great when I was driving around in a enclosed parking garage.

I don't see why the dealer needed to reflash my car since it was in just for a low mileage oil change. I also asked them to look into the the clock since it was running too fast but they didn't have one in stock. But again, I can't see why they would need to run some sort of diagnostic test to see it was too fast.

But thinking back, I think the exhaust popping disapeared before I took it in for the oil change. I'm pretty sure of it. I'm wondering if it's b/c of a bad tank of gas? I think I'm gonna give my dealer a call.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
We had lots of burble on the Dragon. How sweet the sound..........

Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Just got off the phone with my dealer. The service dude looked at my record and nothing was plugged into to the car. I asked him if other owners exprienced the same problem and he said no. He said people usually complain about the noise . I told him about the 2006 loaner I had and he said the noise is more pronounced in the 2006 models.

So, he said to stop by tomorrow morning and he'll plug in the computer to see what's what and road test my car.

Major props to my dealer for seeing me on such a short notice. Especially since it's a Saturday.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:37 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
I told him about the 2006 loaner I had and he said the noise is more pronounced in the 2006 models.

Especially a 2006 one-ball... engine braking down hill while still cold... serious burbles!!! oh yah, I live on a small mountain about 1.5 miles up...

Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
If you've got an '05 MCS and your burble is missing, all you have to do is pull the negative battery cable off for a minute and put it back on. It'll pop pop pop just like the day you bought it!!!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:19 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So is an "expelled or lost" burble like a purse with an exhaust "fart" in it?

I guess the origins of the burble will go on and on hotly debated for generations to come.
I'm not certain what consititutes a "burble"', but the popping on deceleration is a classic symptom of an air/fuel mixture that's too lean. I have a Ducati motorcycle, and they're famous for popping from the factory as well, because the fuel injection is mapped very lean from the factory in order to satisfy emissions requirements. Since the Cooper 'S' is at the high end of the scale, emission-wise, I suspect that the only way the factory could get them into the acceptable range was to map them very lean.

Kudos to Mini, though, for passing off the popping as intentional and even desirable! I'm not sure if that's brilliant marketing or just sheer chutzpah.

Scott Gardner

Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Sheenabea
3rd Gear
Oh no! So, direct question: does the 2006 Cooper S lose its burble/pop after being driven awhile?!?! I LOVE that sound (as does the BF) and I never want it to go away! I might have to get that exhaust upgrade sooner if that is the case :(

Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Wtf???

OK, I got up bright and early to go to the dealer. But I have to stop by the bank first to get some cash. On the way to the bank, I heard the POPPING noise . What the...it decides to come back now? But I only heard one other time. So I headed for the dealer anyways. I get to the dealership and the service manager takes it for a spin with me riding shotgun. This time the burble comes back . The service manager said there's nothing he can do through the computer for the exhaust. I asked him if it could be a bad tank of gas and he said maybe. I have the 1st inspection coming up in 3,000 or so and the service manager said he could upload the 2006 software when I come back.

I thanked him for seeing me on such short notice and I take off. On my way back, I stop by a Ikea to get something. While cruising around the parking lot, I hear all sorts of burble and popping noise. I revved the engine then back off the throttle and sure enough, it's back