Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Cooper broke down

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:49 AM
mwbmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argh, I hate having to post this, but, my MINI broke down on saturday. I had no warning, it was driving just fine. I was in the 3rd lane on the interstate and tried to give it a little gas, and all of a sudden, "uh oh" nothing. I didnt notice any warning lights on at the time, as I was busy trying to get over 3 lanes of traffic to the shoulder. Roadside assistance was there in 30 or so minutes, and delivered us to the nearest dealer, where it is currently being diagnosed. They called me at 8:30 this morning to ask about what had happened etc, when the car broke down. They are going to perform the 10k mile service, as well as a few other items I had mentioned. I havent heard back yet, and I'm starting to get fidgety. I miss my Cooper!!

MWB

Old 03-31-2003, 12:20 PM
beshaw
2nd Gear
as Bart would say .. "ouch man"

kepp us posted, tell us what was wrong, hope he/she is back soon :smile:

Old 03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
morrismini
Neutral
Sorry to hear it! I know how you feel. Mine broke down the third day I had it and twice more over the following three weeks! Hope they fix yours soon. :smile:

Old 04-01-2003, 09:57 AM
6f7
4th Gear
Sorry to hear that.

Keep us posted as to what the cause was after you get it back.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:23 PM
mwbmini
3rd Gear
Hmm.. well, I hadn't heard anything from the service advisor, so I phoned the service dept. and was just told that they ordered a fuel pump and that it wont be ready until thursday.

:???:

Old 04-10-2003, 08:37 AM
daniel1
3rd Gear

I feel your pain as my MC is also sick and has been at the dealer for a week.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 AM
mwbmini
3rd Gear
>>
>>
>>I feel your pain as my MC is also sick and has been at the dealer for a week.

Oh no! youre kidding, whats happening with yours?

They replaced the fuel pump on mine, and did the 10k service while they had it. So far all is well. I hope you get yours back soon!

MWB

Old 04-10-2003, 11:28 AM
daniel1
3rd Gear

A few weeks ago, I got stuck one evening when I was only 5 mile from home. Needless to say, I had to get towed. I was told that it was my clutch. I thought that was weird because I only had 7500 miles and I do not have a heavy foot. They did replace it for free. Two days later, when I left my house for work, the car made a horrible noise with a rattle. It sounded and felt like I was in a very old car. The sound went away went I got onto the highway. However, during lunch, I went to drive the car to see if the nose and rattle still appeared and if so, I would stop by the dealer on my way home from work. The sound and rattle happened again. In fact, I couldn't get into 1st gear. The car was towed again. Two days later they called and indicated that they were going to replace the transmission because the car went into some sort of "fail safe" mode whereby you couldn't shift into gear, I was told that if there was a transmission problem, (note that they said that mine was fine) this sensor would kick in so the person driving wouldn't do any serious damage. I am no expert on cars so I do not know what to think. If you or anybody reading understands what this problem may be, let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:47 AM
mwbmini
3rd Gear
>>
>>A few weeks ago, I got stuck one evening when I was only 5 mile from home. Needless to say, I had to get towed. I was told that it was my clutch. I thought that was weird because I only had 7500 miles and I do not have a heavy foot. They did replace it for free. Two days later, when I left my house for work, the car made a horrible noise with a rattle. It sounded and felt like I was in a very old car. The sound went away went I got onto the highway. However, during lunch, I went to drive the car to see if the nose and rattle still appeared and if so, I would stop by the dealer on my way home from work. The sound and rattle happened again. In fact, I couldn't get into 1st gear. The car was towed again. Two days later they called and indicated that they were going to replace the transmission because the car went into some sort of "fail safe" mode whereby you couldn't shift into gear, I was told that if there was a transmission problem, (note that they said that mine was fine) this sensor would kick in so the person driving wouldn't do any serious damage. I am no expert on cars so I do not know what to think. If you or anybody reading understands what this problem may be, let me know. Thanks.

wow, that stinks! It seems awfuly familiar to me. I think I have read about some similar problems. I have heard of the "fail safe" mode, in fact I think it was here on MCO. Check some of the other threads or do a search. I cant recall off hand what the outcome was.

Oh, and I meant to mention this as well. My 2002 Cooper 5spd, had the idle drop problem occasionaly. When the car went to the dealers for the fuel pump repair, they told me that they took care of the idle drop problem, and that it was the idle drop that caused the fuel pump to go!? Is this true? or make sense? I was also wondering if anyone had heard of this before.

MWB