Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is the "Inspection II" required???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 AM
maginter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the "Inspection II" required???

Hi All -

I have a question for the collective.

Is the Inspection II really required? What happens if I don't do it?

From the sounds of it, they go through a systems check, look for codes or issues. I am planning on doing the service myself once the 3 year/ 36K expires. Not really sure I want to spend $500 at the dealership for a look see. Besides, I am not sure the dealership would know how to service it based on what I have seen from the front office.....

Comments appreciated.

Mark

Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I think the Inspection II is pretty important...isn't that when they replace the drive belt?

Did they really quote you $500 for this service?!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
sbpwjm
2nd Gear
what is the "inspection II"?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI Inspection II - details....

Originally Posted by maginter
...Is the Inspection II really required? What happens if I don't do it? From the sounds of it, they go through a systems check, look for codes or issues. I am planning on doing the service myself once the 3 year/ 36K expires. Not really sure I want to spend $500 at the dealership for a look see. Besides, I am not sure the dealership would know how to service it based on what I have seen from the front office...
Unless you're out of warranty, Inspection II should be free. If you are out of warranty, personally, I think it's worth the $500... (see attachments). Of course I'll admit I am very much not automotively inclined. HTH...

Attached Thumbnails Is the "Inspection II" required???-insp2a.jpg   Is the "Inspection II" required???-insp2b.jpg  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
maginter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iriemanhq
Unless you're out of warranty, Inspection II should be free. If you are out of warranty, personally, I think it's worth the $500... (see attachments). Of course I'll admit I am very much not automotively inclined. HTH...
If that is all it is, that is about 2 hours worth of work and a few parts that I would consider to be normal maintaince items anyway. The only hook would be the rust inspection to meet the Mini Rust Warranty. However that doesn't bother me to much because the car is a fair weather car anyway. For all practical purposes, at that point I would be almost out of the 4 /50K warranty, so would it really matter?

Can anyone else think of anything else that would be voided?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can anyone else think of anything else that would be voided?
It looks no different than say any 30K or 45K service on any other car. Virtually everything just says check this or check that. How many people actually have 30K or 45K mile services done at dealers anyway? Every service is an oil change. This one adds change the belt. I dont see why you can't "check" everything yourself.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:01 PM
maginter
2nd Gear
Hey iriemanhq -

Where were you able to get copys of the inspection? That would be a nice resource to have.

Mark

Old 08-30-2006, 01:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Hey iriemanhq -

Where were you able to get copys of the inspection? That would be a nice resource to have.

Mark
Try your maintenaince manual. It comes with the car.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
maginter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Try your maintenaince manual. It comes with the car.
I bought the car used and did not get it with the vehicle. I will request one thorugh Mini.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Hey iriemanhq - Where were you able to get copys of the inspection? That would be a nice resource to have. Mark
As mentioned, it *is* in the Owners' Manual. To get the images I posted, I logged on to the MINIUSA Owners Lounge, clicked on "Maintenance", used the pull-down window to get to "Inspection II", and then took some screen shots. As near as I can tell, to get an account on the Owners' Lounge all you need is a VIN number.

On a related note, I forgot to mention earlier that I had my "Inspection II" done at 23,000k, since I had passed the 3-year mark anyway and I'm a good schmoozer (at least I like to think so). I got new fluids and a brake job and whatever tweak-back-to-spec stuff they do. Whatever they did, it drove like a brand new MINI until I sold it a month later.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

On a related note, I forgot to mention earlier that I had my "Inspection II" done at 23,000k.
The only difference between Inspection I and Inspection II is that the latter includes replacement of the intake air cleaner element and poly V-belt

Old 08-30-2006, 04:50 PM
whovous
5th Gear
I was quoted about $800 for my Inspection II, somewhere north of 60,000 miles. As that was on top of about $800 to replace a broken power steering motor, I decided to do without a good part of it. Got the belt, however.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whovous
I was quoted about $800 for my Inspection II, somewhere north of 60,000 miles. As that was on top of about $800 to replace a broken power steering motor, I decided to do without a good part of it. Got the belt, however.
wow i can't believe you got quoted $800 for the Inspection 2.
the service is a maintenance service, not too complicated. meaning there's no valve adjustment or timing chain replacement, or that kind of heavy work...

so if you are mechanically inclined save the money and do it yourself.
it will not void the warranty. plus is more time you spend with your car!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
OK, so what is the Poly-V belt anyway? And if replacing it isn't too involved, what drives up the cost of this inspection over inspection 1? Very curious, as my MINI will be a candidate for this soon.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Poly-V belt = supercharger and accessory drive belt.
It's not really complicated, but does require removing a wheel and fender liner to gain access to all the pulleys. Also requires a tool to release the belt tensioner.
They 'check' a lot of things, so I guess that's where the price goes up, in addition to the belt and labor required.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Well, this was the same dealer that charged me $330 to remove four runflats and replace them with four real tires. I felt like I was kinda stuck with them for the power steering motor, but not for the whole $800 special. I do not recall what all it involved beyond the belt, all fluids and filters. It did not seem like an awful lot for the money, I recall that.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM
RobFriedman
2nd Gear
I was told $750 from Hassel in Freeport

and even more from Habberstadt (they said something like $600 plus 250 for fluids (radiator and brake)

bizarre!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
Go over the list and do whatever you can easily do yourself.
Ask the dealer to do only the items you didn't do yourself.
Should save quite a bit (and **** them off a little).

For me it would be:
Rust inspection.
Read out diagnostic system (although I can read out the obdII codes myself ...
there are some other codes - airbag, abs, etc., that I can't access).
Flush coolant if at 4 years since last done (easier for them to do it).
Replace poly V-belt (don't have the tool - although Haynes says for the MC
I could use a 3/8 inch ratchet amd a 4 mm pin).
Examine SRS airbag components.

Last edited by cristo; 04-29-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
it's ok don't come to the dealers and have it done i'm sure with all the mods and everything else you have on your cars it's not worth the cost to keep it running the way it should maybe go to jiffy lube and have them do it that would be fun to....

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had the Inspection II done by my favorite independent mechanic (his wife owns a MINI, and is a good pal) here in Florida last week, on my roadtrip. I was only charged about $340, and I had him install new stainless steel brakelines (which I provided), and tweak my a/c. I think the inspection is a good idea, but recommend that you don't go to a MINI Dealership if you have a good independent shop as an alternative.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your MINI is an automatic, they change the fluid and reset the adaptation values for the transmission control unit. A big +.... Can really save a buck in gas mileage of the reseting of the adaptations [or shift quality]. The engine belt is important, and so is the checking of ABS and Airbag faults.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Silenpro
Neutral
i think its deff worth it, engine belt, air filter if still stock reading all codes from car not just the DME. and if the car is under warranty then any leaks or wear in any parts will be covered or noted to the costumer. takes about 3 hours done right. but its worth the money.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
So if it's still under warranty it would be worth it, but if it's not under warranty it's not worth spending the $7-800 for a belt change. Thats what I'm gathering from this thread.
The meat of it is to flush the coolant, brakes, and change the belt. The rest is inspections only.
If the belt goes it won't hatch the motor, so it's not critical, just inconvenient. Coolant is nice to change out, but not for $700, and in theory should last longer than the date of the inspection.
If it's under warranty it they may catch an issue, but most likely not. So the cost/benefit is leaning more on skipping it and pocketing the $700+ for future issues. The three main things like coolant brakes and the belt change wouldn't cost that at a regular shop.
How often are people right on the verge of ending the warranty at inspectionII? I would think it would be very close to the end for most cars. I suppose there's always the peace of mind that a Mini mechanic inspected the car right before the warranty ended. That may be worth something to some people.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:48 PM
drfubar
2nd Gear
Im at 51000mi and due for inspection II, but they wanted to charge me $750 here in miami.. totally insane.
Im going to see what I can do myself. Already changed the spark plugs and wires. The belt is my main concern, although I was under the car today and it looked fine.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Silenpro
i think its deff worth it, engine belt, air filter if still stock reading all codes from car not just the DME. and if the car is under warranty then any leaks or wear in any parts will be covered or noted to the costumer. takes about 3 hours done right. but its worth the money.
not on a MCSA. lifetime fluid iirc

if you have the skills, do it yourself or get a good independent shop to do it. i've had cars come back with faults in the stuff they say they "check". a busy dealer will spend only the minimal amount of time necessary to get the car out and move onto the next job.

Quick Reply: Is the "Inspection II" required???