Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

100 octane...good or bad for a mcs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubyred3
won't hurt your car, but won't really help either, kind of a waste of money. . .
A complete waste of money! Unless you are racing to work and the grocery store, and get a trophy for getting there first....yes you are wasting your money.....waste can practically be defined as spending and getting nothing back in return for it....unless you are fedex you get nothing back on your "investment" for more power......with that said......that is what cars are all about. wasting money....

Isn't that the great thing about america, the dispoable income we have to waste, thanks to ingenuity, creativity and good ole capitalism allows us to have cars as toys not just basic transportation. waste is a byproduct of prosperity, and if you can afford it and it brings a smile to your face then by all means put that 100 octane in so you can gain 1hp!

But, please dont expect anyone else to pay for your medication when you are old or expect the govt to send you checks each month when you are 65 cause for some strange reason nobody will realize that they blew a few dollars here and a few dollars there and will have no idea why they are dependant on the taxpayers in thier last days....

Old 09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also such a thing as using TOO high of an octane, and that can cause carbon build up and burnt valves.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
according to the compression ratio, either a MCS or MC enjoys over 100 octane.

wasting money on better gas.... isnt a waste of money. The proper gas is just more money than some people want to spend. The fact that it can take lower octanes means the car manufacturer is being nice to you and not letting your misuse of the engine damage it.

put 2 people and luggage and go up hills on vacation with having only used good, 94+ octane, you should definitely see a difference.

Didn't people get the S to go faster???

Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenchan
no sense in using high octane unless your map has been altered.
??????????

You can have a stock ECU map and get ping / timing retard issues that can be resolved by going to a higher octane.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
??????????

You can have a stock ECU map and get ping / timing retard issues that can be resolved by going to a higher octane.

I just mixed in some "Trick 101" fuel in my '04 S to get me to about 94-95 octane for the entire tank. I took the car out and ran it pretty good for a few miles and my pinging has gone away...took is out two other times today just to make sure. I believe I started getting the pings when my 15% pulley was installed...could be I was just more 'interested' in the car and what it was doing...Anyways, to my point/question. The 101 octane gas that I put in costs $5.99/gallon. At current 91 octane prices here in Arizona, that equates to about a $45 fill up or an increase of about $13 per tank. Does anyone have any good experiences with octane boosters? I tried both STP and Lucas brands and didn't get very good results. I saw talk of a product called Torco on a Vette forum. Any experience with that? The other mods I have done in effort to elminate the pinging are NGK colder plugs and getting a JCW flash from my local MINI dealer. Would a MTH/GIAC tune be more apropriate for my issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!