Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help - Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 AM
twinimini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Warranty Claim

Looking for some input concering a warranty claim I'm fighting with my dealer. My 2004 MCS has developed a serious leak in the front of the catalytic coverter & the dealer is trying to blame the failure on the aftermaket exhaust system, saying that it does not fit properly & is putting stress on the converter. The system is one that R-Speed sold for a short time a couple years ago. The system was very high quality, and fit straight on with no issues whatsoever at the time of installation. The fact that the entire system is mounted on rubber mounts & the down pipe/converter is equiped with a flexible coupling makes me feel that this is just a lame attempt to dodge a warranty claim.
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Any input would be greatly appreciated as the bill to replace the cat is $1200![/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the cat right? why not just get a Milltek header with new cats
and you're all set? $800-850 shipped or something and you can do
the install yourself.

$400 can go to other fun things.

maybe im not understanding this correctly...

Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tend to agree with Ken - turn adversity into opportunity. If you still want to press on getting the stock cat replaced, it would seem that you should try another dealer.... I wouldn't try going over the present dealers head to MINI - you will get an even less receptive audience from them.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
I'd suggest an OBX header, that way you only have to do it once.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 AM
twinimini
Neutral
I'm just not willing to roll over & give up on something that I know is basically a mechanical impossibility. The entire exhaust system is designed to flex just for that very reason. it's way to easy for the dealer to just declare something not covered just because ther are aftermarket parts involved. It's my understanding that the dealer has to prove how the parts caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
I was under the impression if you Mod, you give the dealership a way out on the warrenty. It might suck, and not be the proper way to do business. But if you know the rules into to it, then mod, don't be suprised at something like this. I agree with ya, I'd still be mad, but you took the risk

Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Unfortunately...the dealer in this case can probably wiggle away from the problem. IMHO...I would also get another replacement from Milltech since I have their exhaust for my 2004 MSC and could not be happier.
I suppose you could seek another opinion from another dealer.

You would have to figure out how much it would cost to persue the "prove it" routine...this seems like they may have you! They will also probably claim the after market part was not installed correctly...ahhhh the auto business

I have been finding a lot of sub standard oem parts in m oist of my cars of latre...Mini is not different! The quality of the Pulley that I just had removed is not the greatest and their oem exhaust...gimme a break! I'll give em one thing damn thing is heavy (and funky)!

I always wondered how much $$ the sticker has built in to it for the warranty!

Originally Posted by snooter
I was under the impression if you Mod, you give the dealership a way out on the warrenty. It might suck, and not be the proper way to do business. But if you know the rules into to it, then mod, don't be suprised at something like this. I agree with ya, I'd still be mad, but you took the risk

Old 09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by twinimini
I'm just not willing to roll over & give up on something that I know is basically a mechanical impossibility. The entire exhaust system is designed to flex just for that very reason. it's way to easy for the dealer to just declare something not covered just because ther are aftermarket parts involved. It's my understanding that the dealer has to prove how the parts caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim? [Emphasis added.]
The dealer doesn't have to prove anything. If you want to engage in a pissing contest, it is with MINI/BMW. The basic process is as follows:

1. Send a letter to MINIUSA detailing your complaint.

2. MINIUSA will send one of their regional technical reps out to your dealer to look at your car. In all likelihood, the MINI regional technical rep will deny the warranty claim on the same grounds - the aftermarket part was subject to a manufacturing defect and the failure of the catalyst was due to the manufacturing defect in the aftermarket part.

3. At that point, you can decide to: a. suck it up and pay for the repair, or b. litigate. One thing to consider in your decision process is that even if you are right, you are going to have to foot the bill for your side of the litigation until MINI/BMW decides they have had enough. Be prepared to put down somewhere in the vicinity of $160,000 to $200,000 in a litigation fund.

Personally, if it were my car, I would go for an aftermarket header/cat combo. Or, if I was sufficiently fed up with MINI/BMW, I would get a stock exhaust system from a salvage yard, put it on the car and sell the car and move on to my next car.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I'm just not willing to roll over & give up on something that I know is basically a mechanical impossibility. The entire exhaust system is designed to flex just for that very reason. it's way to easy for the dealer to just declare something not covered just because ther are aftermarket parts involved. It's my understanding that the dealer has to prove how the parts caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim?
I agree with you but.....you have a snow ***** chance in hell of them paying for the repair. Rather than waste lots of energy spinning your wheels on a slipper slope just fix it yourself & move on.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:56 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
It's my understanding that the dealer has to prove how the parts caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim?
Read https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=49580

Good luck

Old 09-09-2006, 05:20 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Unfortunately I agree with the rest...

Your "warranty or lack of" comes from the manufacturer...not the dealer unless it concerns the dealer's work on your car.

personally I have had enough of ALL car dealers and only take their warranty for what I can peacefully get from it. After that, I either do it myself or have an aftermarket shop do it if I cannot. Besides it is a LOOOONG way to my Mini dealer and a short distance to the local shop...

Dealers are sort of in the middle and get the shaft from both ends...that is, the manufacturer rarely gives them enough $$ to cover the warranty repair when warranted.

Here they try to tell you that if you use an aftermarket oil/air filter and they do not do it...you lose...wrong! (that would be Honda) They apologized when I offered to send their letter to the appropriate party since it is a 2005) Apparently they were referring to THEIR own dealership warranty (which was NOT clear in their letter) which I need like I need hemoroids. (ie: new tires for life if you let them rotate them for $30 per rotation! yeah right....do the math! That's why there is TIRERACK!

Sure makes buying a used mini attractive when you can get one at a good number!

A friends 1999 Porsche just had the Computer go out...the extended warranty did not cover it (ya gotta read the FINE print)...so he took it apart and replaced a $1.29diode...all fixed! (Luckily he is an electrical engineer!) so it is not just Mini!

Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
remember in the US we have a law that states an exhaust system must last eight years or 80,000 miles. This has nothing to do with MINI or BMW.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:12 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesmini
remember in the US we have a law that states an exhaust system must last eight years or 80,000 miles. This has nothing to do with MINI or BMW.
It's a federal law, and the dealership should replace it. I am sure if you searched for the info, you could find the supporting facts. I love facts. Can't argue with facts. Nothing like written documentation.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesmini
Dont even think of going there. Read MDSbrains thread on his car problems.

The moment you touch ANYTHING associated with emissions controls ... any part ... game is over. They do NOT have to replace anything. Go to the EPA website and look it up

Adding an aftermarket part that misaligns the exhaust system ... you pay your money and take the chances.