Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OBD II Connector Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:00 AM
OzMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II Connector Not Functioning

Hi, I just bought an OBD II scanner but it fails to "synch" with the OBD system (engine on). It has all the variations including ISO but I wonder if the OBD on the Mini is somehow not "on"? Is there a fuse for the connector? Or special jumpers?

A couple of years back I had tried another scanner and it too failed to pick up anything. I don't see anyone else reporting any issues with this, but any insights would be useful. By the way this is an Australian car but I understand that OBD is implemented here as everywhere on Minis.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
I presume

Your Mini is usually smog tested through the OBDII port.

I bought one of those cheapo OBII units and after I hooked it up it lit up but did not link to the port. but the directions did not mention you had to hit SCAN to get it to link! Anyway my $32 OBII works just fine and do make sure the plug is fully seated into the connector. Suggest you hold the back of the connector when pushing it on for support.
Just a thought

Originally Posted by OzMini
Hi, I just bought an OBD II scanner but it fails to "synch" with the OBD system (engine on). It has all the variations including ISO but I wonder if the OBD on the Mini is somehow not "on"? Is there a fuse for the connector? Or special jumpers?

A couple of years back I had tried another scanner and it too failed to pick up anything. I don't see anyone else reporting any issues with this, but any insights would be useful. By the way this is an Australian car but I understand that OBD is implemented here as everywhere on Minis.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 AM
OzMini
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I think the connector is well seated but will try again with additional support from the back as I don't think I can press any harder from just the front. My scanner is definitely indicating that it is in discover mode waiting for a signal so that is not the issue.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2006, 07:03 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Btw:

Originally Posted by OzMini
Thanks for the advice. I think the connector is well seated but will try again with additional support from the back as I don't think I can press any harder from just the front. My scanner is definitely indicating that it is in discover mode waiting for a signal so that is not the issue.

Cheers
BTW: My OBDII works with the engine off...Never tried it with the engine on since the manual says engine is supposed to be off when reading codes. Manual in mine says: connect with Ignition off. Turn on ignition on after plugin (but DO NOT START ENGINE). then you get a link signal and press read. Have you tried it with the engine off? I did see it work with the engine off so I do know that is the way mine works (now reads "No codes" when I hit the read button.

If OBII is universal between countries...I would think that it switches modes with the engine on to read smog results? Just a guess

Old 09-19-2006, 09:20 PM
OzMini
2nd Gear
I'm actually using ScanGauge (www.scangauge.com) which monitors engine management and other functions while running. Pretty cool thing and it has appeared in another thread as being fully functional on Mini's. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=Scangauge)

I am also looking for help there.

Cheers

Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 AM
snoopy
2nd Gear
if you are in OZ I have some bad news UNLESS you MINI has a compliance plate of 01/06 (jan 06) or after your ODB port will not work, MINI Au has turned it off as OBD data only became a requirement from Jan this year (so MINI Au turned it back on). Also if you ask the dealer to enable the OBD port on a MINI built early than Jan 06,they will tell you to go away, Sorry
For a general note, that little lable under the bonnet telling you the the Degree from TDC is the only emissions data require to be supplied by MFG before Jan 06....Yay for us