Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

what IS that?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what IS that?

So I've noticed that my MCS shifts up or down based on the amount of weight in the car - when I pick people up and start driving, the car lowers - but only once I'm moving. Not as people are getting in/out. Then, when people get out, the car raises up a bit again.

Could anyone explain what is doing this? It seems to be more advanced that a simple suspension thing, unless it's the car's computer talking to the suspension and not changing anything until you're actually driving? :impatient

Any explanations would be appreciated!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Are you sure you're not talking about the car Pedro's cousin drove in Napoleon Dynomite?

Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Haha, nice. I don't think my MINI auditioned for any movies while I wasn't looking.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM
willum
5th Gear
Or it could be the auto leveling headlights? No auto leveling suspension that I know of......

Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Weird! I suppose it could be for the headlights? I would think that the headlights themselves would move in that case (Within the headlight housings) rather than the back of the car moving up or down to adjust.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
I think it's cause you have the brake applied. Go to a hill and apply the handbrake, then let off the brake pedal. If the car is "nose up", the rear suspension will raise. If the car is "nose down", the rear suspension will squat. Notice that nothing happened until you let off the brake...the brakes held the car in a bind until you let off.

Rawhyde

Old 09-19-2006, 04:02 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Cool, I will go try this. However, it has happened on a level surface when I only had the foot brake applied (in neutral) while people got in/out of the car, then started driving off and had the rear suspension move up/down.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
That sounds like a binding strut to me. Can you have someone stand outside the car (toes away from the tires, of course) and watch the movement of the body?