Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can anyone tell me...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 AM
CIGARGUY
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me...?

Where is the fresh air intake for the a/c? I've got an unpleasant odor developing in the system. There's a product from BG Chemicals calles Frigi-fresh that you can spray into the fresh air intake that will kill anything lurking in the system and leave a fresh scent. I just can't find the fresh air intake.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I'd guess that the cabin filter is the culprit. It is located under the glove compartment. Unlatch the plastic tabs, and pull the filter out (noting it's orientation). The new filter slides right in. You can find them online for around $30. My cabin smelled like wet dog with the AC on until I changed this filter!

Or, you could smoke a nice spicy Honduran to cover up the smell!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:50 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Yeah, something from Danli!

Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
CIGARGUY
3rd Gear
Well, I'm not so sure the filter is the problem. It just got changed with service #2 about 6 weeks ago. The problem was there before that is has been there since. I just didn't remember to say anything about it when the car was in. Typical. Anyway, I've got the Frigi-fresh stuff and it works great. I've used it for years. Most cars use the fresh air intake below the windshield but not the MINI. The search goes on............................

Oh, and I may enjoy a Cuban instead of a Honduran tonight!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
creseida
4th Gear
Oh, the irony that someone who smokes the foulest smelling of tobacco products is complaining about an unpleasant odor....

Perhaps your MINI is offended by the smell of cigars (whether you smoke in the car or not, the odor permeates everything about you) and is returning the favour? LOL

Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM
CIGARGUY
3rd Gear
Thanks for all of the cigar critiquing, but I still don't have an answer to my question. Does ANYONE know where the fresh air intake is for the a/c?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Remove the vent from the passenger side at the base of the windshield and peek down there. Most cars get their air from there. I looked on the BMW TIS CD and didn't see a flow diagram. I'll look at mine in the daylight tomorrow and see if I can find the intake.

Rawhyde

Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
He is correct. The passenger side vent is where the fresh air comes into the ventilation system of the MINI. It's easier to open the bonnet which exposes the entire chamber under the vent.

Changing the filter is fairly easy. Note that part of it slides up vertically along a track with the remain part curved to horizontal. Like said above, just note how it comes out and install the new one back in the same way. I'm a smoker (yes, IN THE MINI) and I change this filter more often than the Inspections. Does wonders to get a fresh one.

Related to this is something I did that I wouldn't recommend. I have the '02 with the vent filter that decomposes and falls apart. I replaced these with an air conditioner filter pad. They look okay, but they hold a lot of moisture after a good rain. Instant foggy windows inside until the defrost heats up and defrosts the glass. I'm still looking for a less dense material. If anyone knows of a black material I'd be most appreciative.

PS, the smelliest of stenches is in the nostrils of the beholder.

Last edited by ToBFree; 09-20-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Read all posts more closely.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 PM
CIGARGUY
3rd Gear
Thanks for the help, guys. I looked for the intake there but didn't see it. Oh, well. Maybe I'm an idiot (those who know me well would back me up on this).