Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Service Warranty is Over!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 PM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Warranty is Over!

hey guys, im not sure what to do. My service warranty is up and im due for my oil change at about 48,500 miles. Crevier Mini in santa ana (socal) said it will cost $160 bucks to have my oil service.

Just wonderig what they do extra that the dealership charges that much for an oil change?
Do you think its worth it?

Are there cheeper/better places i should go to here in the OC that will have similar results?.. i dont really want to do it myself.

Thanks for the help. See you on the road!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
I think at 48,500 you are probably due for you 2nd inspection. That's closer to around $600 or so.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Get some oem filters

Originally Posted by oneM1KE
hey guys, im not sure what to do. My service warranty is up and im due for my oil change at about 48,500 miles. Crevier Mini in santa ana (socal) said it will cost $160 bucks to have my oil service.

Just wonderig what they do extra that the dealership charges that much for an oil change?

Are there cheeper/better places i should go to here in the OC that will have similar results?.. i dont really want to do it myself.

Thanks for the help. See you on the road!
Have never met an oem dealer of any brand that will not rip you off! Even my Local BMW dealer offered to do me a favor (HA)and do it for $80 (still too much) Just MHO

Suggest you buy some oil filters (oem) and then find a local Bimmer auto mech. Mine charges $80

However, it is really SOOOOO easy...all you need is the proper socket for the plug, a 36mm socket for the canister,, a low (very low profile) oil pan and funnel. A 5 qt jug of mobile One 5w/30 is about $26 at Wally World and the filters are about $7.50 from the dealer. It can be done without jacking up the car! (Maybe a set of $30 Rhino ramps also at Wally World) I am now able to do it by "feel"

Suggest you stay clear of places like jiffy lube) they would probably cross thread your oil filter canister or maybe worse. A Bimmer mech or speed shop is probably your best bet.

the whole job is less than 30 minutes and then the enevitable cleanup...hands etc. BTW to resetr the oil service indicator...No MAGIC TOOL IS NEEDED
Maintenance Required Lamp/Indicator: Service and Repair
================================================== ========================================
RESETTING the Service Interval Indicator

The indicator can be reset using the trip odometer reset button in the instrument cluster:

- The ignition key must be in the “0” (off) position.
- Press and hold the trip odometer reset button in the instrument cluster, and turn the ignition key to the “I’ (accessory) position.
- Keep the button pressed for approx. 5 more seconds until the current SIl status appears in the display: “Oil Service” or “Inspection” Release the button.
- Press the button again and hold for approximately 5 seconds to change to the reset mode. The letters “RST” appear. While the display is flashing press the button briefly to reset the Service Interval. The new intervall will be displayed for 5 seconds.
- Release the button and turn ignition off.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Doing it yourself is quite easy and only requires a few tools... a pair of ramps (or a jack and 2 jackstands), a wrench, a funnel, a 36mm shallow socket and an oil pan/basin of some sort. The oil will cost you about $6/quart and you will need 5 quarts. The filter is probably around $10 at the parts desk. For the $160 you could easily buy all of the tools + supplies for your first few oil changes.

For the simple stuff like oil changes, I used to go to 'jiffy lube' places (before I did it myself). Ask to see the old filter, just to be sure that they replaced it. It should look like this (Photo A: http://outmotoring.com/mini_cooper_m...nce_items.html), but be completely wet with oil.

Lots of quick-lube places have been caught in a scheme where they don't perform the service work that they charge you for, so I would never have them do any work other than a simple oil change. Do not let them talk you into any additional services, cleanings, etc. If you think they have spotted a real problem, just say "Thanks for telling me about that... I'll have it checked out w/ my normal mechanic next week." If they say you need a new air filter, just say "Thanks... I'll pick one up next week"... they run a huge mark-up on 'em and frequently recommend that they are replaced, way before necessary.

Be sure to specify that they use a full synthetic oil like Mobile One.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If they're like my dealer, there is and 'oil change' and an 'oil service'. The 'oil service' includes replacing the cabin filter and a checking a few items (I don't recall which ones.)
Oil Change - $89.95
Oil Service - $210.00 (referred to as a 'minor service')

There should be an idependent BMW shop somewhere around there.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gizzer777
Suggest you stay clear of places like jiffy lube) they would probably cross thread your oil filter canister or maybe worse. A Bimmer mech or speed shop is probably your best bet.
I think they are OK for the very easy stuff like oil changes, but you do have to keep an eye on 'em. Note that, of the first 4 posts, 2 of 'em warned you...

You may want to post to your local board. Most MINI clubs have found a few local mechanics for after warranty work that do a good job at a good price. I can think of 2 here in Dallas that I know of just from the recommendations of local club members.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Cabin filter

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
If they're like my dealer, there is and 'oil change' and an 'oil service'. The 'oil service' includes replacing the cabin filter and a checking a few items (I don't recall which ones.)
Oil Change - $89.95
Oil Service - $210.00 (referred to as a 'minor service')

There should be an idependent BMW shop somewhere around there.
My dealer would only do a cabin filter at Inspection 1.
it is a PITA but the parts are easy to find and cost between 25-35 (Autozone will order a Bosch for under $30) depending on quality. I like the oem one myself...2nd choice is Bosch.
Note: I also recommended an oem oil filter so you do not get a junk chinese knock off....Hengst on Ebay are fine as well)
That filter is located under the glove box and getting the cover off is the pain, I invested in a bentley manual (and then got another for my b'day!) it has saved me a ton but is overkill since I only do the easy stuff. I believe cabin filter replacement depends upon where you live. here in the sesert...I do mine at about 15,000 mi.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
planeguy
6th Gear

Nothing and no.

Do it yourself......and if you feel unqualified I recomend that you sell your car and buy a bicycle because if you cant change your own oil you have no buisness driving a car......I fully intend to instill this principle into my children both girls and boys.....You should not own anything if you don't know the basics of how they function......On the other hand If you are one of those people who get paid more than $100 an hour, well you make more money than the dealer does...it costs you money to get your hands dirty then who cares, take it someplace and get your butler to pick it up when its done

Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Or take 6 qts of synthetic to the local Jiffy Lube and make them use that. You don't get dirty, and it only costs $15 plus oil. Watch them closely though, they tend to be robots who, even though they hold your synthetic in their hand, will pump oil from the well into your car if you don't throw something at their heads to wake them up.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:02 PM
oneM1KE
2nd Gear
wow, lots of replies in a short time. thanks again.

i am however considering doing it myself. Along with doing the oil change, is there anything else i should be checking/replacing while im down n dirty?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Yes...

wow, lots of replies in a short time. thanks again.

i am however considering doing it myself. Along with doing the oil change, is there anything else i should be checking/replacing while im down n dirty?
Don't have time to dig out the Bentley (I think Inspection callouts are in your warranty manual too)
1) check for leaks always (check the large silver colored canister on the passenger side (motor mount too...is oil dampened)

NOTE: the yellow stuff you atre going to see under the Bonnet is NOT leakage...but Cosmoline (a protectant used in shipment)
2) check your belt! tension and wear.
3) all hose conditions, fluid levels etc.
3) pick up an antifreeze tester (maybe $3.00) and check coolant level as well...ENGINE COLD!!!)
4) Might as well check the spark plugs too for proper torq and wear (a spark plug wrench is also a few $$ only.
5)Check for work plug wires too.

6) listen for any obvious vacuum leaks (hissing)

You will find the more you do, the happier you will be and satisfied that you did not waste $$ . I find the more I try, the more I am willing to take on myself too!

This place has a wealth of knowledge! I even did myu own exhaust cat back change. I DID stop at the Pulley mod and had the Bimmer mech do it...just was not that comfortable YET!

THE BENTLEY MANUAL IS ALSO EXCELLENT WHEN YOU DECIDE TO GET INTO IT! In the mean time ask away and those more knowing than I will assist!

remove the cover to your air cleaner and check it too ...replace as needed.

You will probably replace some small parts that are marginal that a dealer might let slip thru.

Owning a Mini or any other car for that matter dictates that you are at least able to do the basics and watch/listen for any anomalies...OR PREPARE TO BE BENT OVER!

The best way to learn the "rest" is to take it to a german mechanic that does Minis too and WATCH to see what elkse he does!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Deleted by author...double post

Deleted by author...double post

Old 09-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Toowiley
2nd Gear
Hey, my 02 is just about to roll up on 25K, and I'm past my 4year warranty period, so everything is out of my own pocket. Ralph Schomp MINI has quoted me $62 for a straight oil change, $155 for oil service and $225 for a full check up. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with car (especially since I'm 4 hours outside of Denver) but I was wondering what any of your thoughts were on what is necessary, and what was worthwhile. My understanding that they basically just changed the mirco filter and checked the brakes with the "oil service" option. Do they do more? And is the full-on check just something I should do for piece of mind. Lastly, are there many hidden or additional charges associated with the 25K mile service I should know about. I don't want to spend more than I have to but want to keep my car running right and safe. Thanks for any advice or insight.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Dealer sounds good to me

Originally Posted by Toowiley
Hey, my 02 is just about to roll up on 25K, and I'm past my 4year warranty period, so everything is out of my own pocket. Ralph Schomp MINI has quoted me $62 for a straight oil change, $155 for oil service and $225 for a full check up. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with car (especially since I'm 4 hours outside of Denver) but I was wondering what any of your thoughts were on what is necessary, and what was worthwhile. My understanding that they basically just changed the mirco filter and checked the brakes with the "oil service" option. Do they do more? And is the full-on check just something I should do for piece of mind. Lastly, are there many hidden or additional charges associated with the 25K mile service I should know about. I don't want to spend more than I have to but want to keep my car running right and safe. Thanks for any advice or insight.
Your dealer sounds like he has pretty decent prices. Mine does inspection one at 25000 (or there abouts depending on interval countdown) or 2 yrs which ever comes first.. Since your car is 4 yrs old...I would let them have at it...Just MHO..HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE DONE A FEW OIL CHANGES!I think brake fluid at 2 yrs and coolant at 4 is necessary too...I will NOT be doing either myself! (they have the equipment needed BUT they should have told you too!