Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering Loss/Lights Flicker--Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Loss/Lights Flicker--Connection?

My powersteering has been going out after I drive a few miles.

Always works when I first start the car up, but within a few miles the steering gets hard. I've been driving it this way for a week or so...

When I first start it up, car in park, I can hear the PS whine, and it gets louder (like its supposed to) when I turn the wheels completely in either direction. It's the normal sound.

At the same time this started, I noticed that my driving lights (and dome light inside) "pulse", or slightly flicker, when they are on. they don't go completely out, but there is a noticeable weaker strength pulsing every few seconds.

There is plenty of power steering fluid in the resevoir ($31/quart at dealer!

Can the PS unit be causing the power problem, and replacing the unit fix it all?
I'd hate to replace the PS unit, then find out the problem is still there because its an electrical problem elsewhere.

I have little faith in my dealer, I'm sorry to say... AND my car was about 200 miles over 50K when this started--dealer says "out of warranty" (learned to hate my dealer's service...worst part about owning a MINI)

Ideas on how to proceed? Should I just order a new PS unit? Can I do it myself? (I'm handy, done all my mods myself, but not a mechanic)

Or take it to a good electrical shop here in town (I don't have time right now to do alot of sleuthing, and I'm not any expert in sleuthing electrical stuff, if its not obvious I don't expect to find it)...Advice appreciated!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the charging system voltage after the car has run for a while. If it dips below 12 volts for any length of time, the power steering pump shuts down. It is normal for the lights to flicker and dim slightly when the steering pump is under load. Also, if you have alignment issues that force you to put effort into the wheel to keep the car on track, this causes the pump to run in 'boosted' mode for a length of time and overheat. If the car strays from a straight line with your hands off the wheel, this causes the above.

While not impossible for someone with average mechanical skills, the pump is in an annoyingly tight spot under the car, behind the engine. If you are good with tools, you can replace the pump using typical metric hand tools, sockets, etc.. Double check all the wiring at the pump and the fusebox. THe fuse for the pump is actually underneath the fuse box, inside a cover on the bottom. It's a 100 amp fuse. The box has to be removed and inverted to check it. There is also the large power wire for the pump plugged into the fuse box. Check that connection as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
thanks for the reply Greatbear; I plan to get to it in the morning.

guess I'll hold off for now ordering a PS unit till I check it out!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:39 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
PS pump or relay?

checked out the PS today, what I found:

all the fuses look good and measure with continuity. PS fan is clear, spins freely, is plugged in.

Turn the car on, engine is cold, PS motor working--but I notice the sound of the motor (the whine) pulses in time with the flicker of the lights. PS goes out quickly now, after a minute or so of starting up.

Initially, the PS fan isn't running, but when I put the car under load, (by turning on the AC, is that what you meant, Greatbear?) it goes on and stays on.

The battery voltage never dropped below 12.4, then I think the alternator would kick in and boost the voltage up again. It was initially 13-14 without the AC on, and it would kick back up to 13...

If the PS pump is just bad, could the flickering be a sign of the increased load the PS pump is trying to pull to restart, but maybe a bearing gets stuck as it heats and so the engine is working harder to start the PS pump but it can't? Or icould it be as simple as a relay? (?what relay?)