Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Question about Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
dstrass
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Xenon Headlights

I have the Xenon light on my 06 MCS but it seams that the high beam is plain old Helogan. Is this true?

Thanks, Doron.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. The MINI Xenon headlights (and many BMWs also) are not Bi-Xenon; they are only Xenon for the low beams.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, that is correct.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:32 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
That is correct. The lowbeams is that laser gun looking thing...the xenon headlight. The highbeams is the "normal" looking headlight underneath and is a halogen light.

I understand the 2007 will have a bi-xenon headlight. That is, one xenon light and the beam controlled by blinders.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Hmm, three people had to say yes

OK Yes, its true

Old 10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
dstrass
1st Gear
Thanks. I kind of susspected this by the more of a yellow light when you flick the high beam.

I am not sure what is in there now but did somebody tried to use higher output bulb?

D.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:21 PM
bigpmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dstrass
I am not sure what is in there now but did somebody tried to use higher output bulb?

D.
Yes, I think somebody did tried.

I put a Superwhite bulb in mine, much nicer.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:36 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Hmm, three people had to say yes
Kind of like piling on....

Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dstrass
but did somebody tried to use higher output bulb?

D.
For the high beam you can go 65W. No higher. Anything higher is illegal and most likely, over time, fry the wiring which is meant for 55W.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
allenski
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, now that we've answered the FACTS of the matter, let's address the EMOTIONAL issue....

Feelings of disappointment and suckiness to "plain" halogen high beams. My first flick with the high beams didn't seem to make much difference in some dark areas of driving.

But hey, I got over it (or I'm in denial ).

Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by allenski
OK, now that we've answered the FACTS of the matter, let's address the EMOTIONAL issue....

Feelings of disappointment and suckiness to "plain" halogen high beams. My first flick with the high beams didn't seem to make much difference in some dark areas of driving.

Well, the current crop of E90-based 3 series have the low-beam only version of Xenons.... If you want to upgrade the lighting and a 65 watt bulb doesn't cut it, you can look into auxiliary lighting options....

Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by allenski

When you put on the highs, the Xenons stay on. Both bulbs are lit. Not enough light? Want bi-xenons? Then dont buy an economy car.

Emotional? What do you want for a $25K car?wink:

Old 10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
When you put on the highs, the Xenons stay on. Both bulbs are lit. Not enough light? Want bi-xenons? Then dont buy an economy car. [Emphasis added.]

I don't think that the E90 qualifies as an economy car....

Old 10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
6th Gear
My Mini cost 33k after tax, nothing economy about that :-\

When you put on the highs, the Xenons stay on. Both bulbs are lit. Not enough light? Want bi-xenons? Then dont buy an economy car.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
I used the Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for the Hi-beams on my 04MCS. Much whiter light than the stockers.
http://www.hoen-usa.com/

Jim

Old 10-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Remember that white doesn't mean bright. Just look at the "bulb" in an LED flashlight then look at the bulb in a rechargable Maglight...then shine them onto a wall in a dark room, or better yet across a dark field. The next gen MINI has bi-xenon lights, and so does the E92 335i (I checked on a recent test drive) As an aside, the inner lights on the 335i do NOT illuminate on the bi-xenon light on high beam. Making these work would be about the equivilent of adding the driving lights to a MINI. All they do is "flash to pass" and DRLs (if activated). If I get one, they will work as high beams before my first full weekend of ownership is over. There's just no such thing as too much light.

Rawhyde

Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
Remember that white doesn't mean bright. Just look at the "bulb" in an LED flashlight then look at the bulb in a rechargable Maglight...then shine them onto a wall in a dark room, or better yet across a dark field. The next gen MINI has bi-xenon lights, and so does the E92 335i [Emphasis added.] (I checked on a recent test drive) As an aside, the inner lights on the 335i do NOT illuminate on the bi-xenon light on high beam. Making these work would be about the equivilent of adding the driving lights to a MINI. All they do is "flash to pass" and DRLs (if activated). If I get one, they will work as high beams before my first full weekend of ownership is over. There's just no such thing as too much light.

Rawhyde
Maybe someone forgot to tell BMW about Bi-Xenon headlights:

"Xenon Adaptive Headlights with auto-leveling"

That quote was taken from the BMW 335i Coupe Features and Options page of bmwusa.com.

Out of curiousity, how did you confirm that the Xenons were Bi-Xenons on the 335i? Was the reference to Bi-Xenon headlights on the Mulroney sticker?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
My Mini cost 33k after tax, nothing economy about that :-\
You all know what I mean ... I seriously doubt the average MINI sold (which includes MC and MCS) is over 28K and you cannot count tax ... ever ... until u die.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
You all know what I mean ... I seriously doubt the average MINI sold (which includes MC and MCS) is over 28K and you cannot count tax ... ever ... until u die.
How are you able to count tax when you die????

Old 10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
6th Gear
The IRS sure does!

Originally Posted by caminifan
How are you able to count tax when you die????

Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caminifan
Maybe someone forgot to tell BMW about Bi-Xenon headlights:

"Xenon Adaptive Headlights with auto-leveling"

That quote was taken from the BMW 335i Coupe Features and Options page of bmwusa.com.

Out of curiousity, how did you confirm that the Xenons were Bi-Xenons on the 335i? Was the reference to Bi-Xenon headlights on the Mulroney sticker?
I didn't read the sticker that closely, but I did stand in front of the car with the headlights on and had the salesman swap from low to high and activate the "flash to pass" feature to see what happens. I also tested the steerable headlights. Here's the straight dope on them.

The headlights only are steerable when the switch is in automatic headlight position. They stay srtaight ahead when the lights are in the normal "on" position.

The lights only "steer" to the RIGHT. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, the lights remain straight ahead.

Steerable headlights ARE a good thing, but they're certainly not new. Tuckers had them in 1948, and Citroens had them in the 60's (possibly earlier)

Rawhyde

PS Yes, I check out the lighting on any car that I'm seriously considering buying. If that makes me a nerd, so be it. I'm a nerd that needs all the light I can get!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Awww GEEZ, guys, this one's easy!

They're halogens, the light's a little yellower, you can put in higher wattage bulbs (with a relay, check www.rallylights.com, among others), and the Halogens can definitely throw more light than the Xenons.

The practical advantage of Xenons are more lumens per watt, allowing lower current draw on the system, affecting gas mileage very slightly (every little bit counts to an automaker).

The secondary advantages:
- skirting an outdated DOT regulation only allowing so many watts of lighting in a car, so the Xenons can legally throw more lumens to the road.
- Better focus, as the Xenon arc (light source) is more pinpoint, allowing better optics. This is a mixed advantage, since a sharp cutoff results in less light beam "scatter", and it's this "scatter" that illuminates road signs, etc that normally lie outside the beam's view.

The supposed "advantage" of a "whiter" light (bluish tint to your eyeball) may not be an advantage; the whiter light also means higher glare (numerous studies and artcles on the subject). It does have "bling" factor, and helps car sales (perceived value and "neat-o" factor). With the auto-leveling, they're great, except to oncoming drivers on hilly roads... Gotta admit, I like mine!

To use a higher wattage bulb in the high beam, just add a relay to the system so the current headlight wiring only supplies a "signal" to the relay, and 12v+ gets supplied to the bulb directly from the battery. Susquehanna (www.rallylights.com) among others sells relay harnesses for like $75 that are plug-and-play, or you can buy a relay for $8 and use some plugs, a soldering gun, and some wire and have the equivalent thing for about $15, and Susquehanna has the wiring diagram on their site. Total cost with 100w bulbs (practical maximum, anything more and you're just making more heat) would be about $30 plus your labor.

Another option is to get a standard bulb that is higher light output - NOT a blue tinted one (counter productive, the blue tint somply filters OUT the yellow light), but a high output one. Go to WalMart and buy the Philips High Output, they're noticably brighter, but it's incremental, not revolutionary. The 100W are a much more noticable difference.

Hope this helps - Good luck!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Awww GEEZ, guys, this one's easy!

They're halogens, the light's a little yellower, you can put in higher wattage bulbs (with a relay, check www.rallylights.com, among others), and the Halogens can definitely throw more light than the Xenons.

The practical advantage of Xenons are more lumens per watt, allowing lower current draw on the system, affecting gas mileage very slightly (every little bit counts t an automaker).

The secondary advantages:
- skirting an outdated DOT regulation only allowing so many watts of lighting in a car, so the Xenons can legally throw more lumens to the road.
- Better focus, as the Xenon arc (light source) is more pinpoint, allowing better optics. This is a mixed advantage, since a sharp cutoff results in less light beam "scatter", and it's this "scatter" that illuminates road signs, etc that normally lie outside the beam's view.

The supposed "advantage" of a "whiter" light (bluish tint to your eyeball) may not be an advantage; the whiter light also means higher glare (numerous studies and artcles on the subject). It does have "bling" factor, and helps car sales (perceived value and "neat-o" factor). With the auto-leveling, they're great, except to oncoming drivers on hilly roads... Gotta admit, I like mine!

To use a higher wattage bulb in the high beam, just add a relay to the system so the current headlight wiring only supplies a "signal" to the relay, and 12v+ gets supplied to the bulb directly from the battery. Susquehanna (www.rallylights.com) among others sells relay harnesses for like $75 that are plug-and-play, or you can buy a relay for $8 and use some plugs, a soldering gun, and some wire and have the equivalent thing for about $15, and Susquehanna has the wiring diagram on their site. Total cost with 100w bulbs (practical maximum, anything more and you're just making more heat) would be about $30 (plus your labor).

Another option is to get a standard bulb that is higher light output - NOT a blue tinted one (counter productive, the blue tint somply filters OUT the yellow light), but a high output one. Go to WalMart and buy the Philips High Output, they're noticably brighter, but it's incremental, not revolutionary. The 100W are a much more noticable difference.

Hope this helps - Good luck!
Its not the relay... its the wiring. Read the wiring FAQ at Rally lights. If you want 100w bulbs.... this is so wrong in so many ways its not worth discussing.:impatient

Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer the halogen high beams . i think they're brighter. but for the xeonons there's a german comp. selling them for minis HID i believe. i got them for $100.00 a piece . the dealer wanted $236.00 a piece !!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:13 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Chows: It's the relay AND the wiring.

I don't want to (or have to) type out the whole process, that's why I referred to www.rallylights.com for the diagram .... but... clarifying my earlier:

Use the stock OE (switched) headlight wiring to supply the voltage signal to the relay, and use heavier-duty wiring to supply current from the relay (12v+) to the lights. If'n you're really concerned, do as I did and use a heavier gauge wire as a ground as well, that way you're covered all the way 'round the circuit and back.

How's that wrong? Why NOT discuss it? If it's wrong I want to correct it! Why the rolling eyes emoticon - just trying to help out here...

Oh - the link to the headlight relays/wiring page on www.rallylights.com is
http://www.rallylights.com/useful_in...amp_wiring.htm

Quick Reply: Question about Xenon Headlights