Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rodents and Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 PM
RMMINICOOPER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodents and Spark Plug Wires

Howzit? What a day :censor: :banghead:

My wifey calls and tells me that the Mini wont start, Its a 2006 bought back in January (4k miles only) so I had my nephew look at it..he tells me that a mice or a rat chewed up the sparkplug wires. So I called my Pest Control guy (I had one done exactly five days ago) and he tells me that the rodent may have entered through the garage door or the side door since I have a detached garage that it should be the only cause. I guess my questions are: 1. Any thoughts on how to avoid this again? 2. I bought some mouse/mice trap should I put this underneath the car or should I place it by the walls.

Oh well, so I ended up buying a new aftermarket one (my only aftermarket part in the mini) Its still considered oem since its made by Mini's performance department so warranty is not affected. BTW, My BMW and MB were not affected with the BMW only showing signs of a nest in progress.

Attached Thumbnails Rodents and Spark Plug Wires-minwires1.jpg   Rodents and Spark Plug Wires-miniwires2.jpg   Rodents and Spark Plug Wires-miniwires3.jpg  
Old 10-26-2006, 12:21 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Apparently the BMW is more comfortable but the MINI just tastes better.

I've seen this sort of thing before on cars from rural areas and it's always nice when they chew on something easily replaceable like a battery cable or plug wire instead of the harness That's also why it's probably not a good idea to dust the new wires in capsaicin powder.

I'd focus on weatherstripping and sealing the garage over high-maintenance things like baits and traps (or a pest-control "subscription"). Or you could use it as an excuse to get a cat.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:30 AM
SMC
2nd Gear
As according to the attached photos, it looks like the insulation were damaged and not the wires. IMO will not affect starting problem.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SMC
As according to the attached photos, it looks like the insulation were damaged and not the wires. IMO will not affect starting problem.
Just what I was thinking. I worry there are more wires chewed on some where else

Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a high performance aftermarket cat for your MINI.

Sorry about the rodents. . .

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Nimrod
1st Gear
Just sent my MCSCa into the dealer...rodents had a field day digesting the rubber windshield fluid hoses...

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
some people suggested using moth ***** to repell skunks... perhaps
it might work for mice too.

i'd give it a shot. when it gets colder out, it will worsen as they will
try to make a nest in your car (no joke).

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM
SMC
2nd Gear
Perhaps placed a fresh piece of cheese in the mouse trap

Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
I found out I had a rat or something in my garage, and I thought "Holy crap what if it chews through my wires in my MINI!!!?" well I set a trap (one of those humane ones) with some string cheese, and bam! I caught the little critter in half an hour, I drove to a park near my friends house and let him loose. Now I hope he doesnt find his way home

Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use peanut butter as trap bait, preferred over cheese by rodents 10:1!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM
SMC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by everytimeidie027
I found out I had a rat or something in my garage, and I thought "Holy crap what if it chews through my wires in my MINI!!!?" well I set a trap (one of those humane ones) with some string cheese, and bam! I caught the little critter in half an hour, I drove to a park near my friends house and let him loose. Now I hope he doesnt find his way home
Good job & well done

Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RMMINICOOPER
Howzit? What a day :censor: :banghead:

My wifey calls and tells me that the Mini wont start, Its a 2006 bought back in January (4k miles only) so I had my nephew look at it..he tells me that a mice or a rat chewed up the sparkplug wires. So I called my Pest Control guy (I had one done exactly five days ago) and he tells me that the rodent may have entered through the garage door or the side door since I have a detached garage that it should be the only cause. I guess my questions are: 1. Any thoughts on how to avoid this again? 2. I bought some mouse/mice trap should I put this underneath the car or should I place it by the walls.

Oh well, so I ended up buying a new aftermarket one (my only aftermarket part in the mini) Its still considered oem since its made by Mini's performance department so warranty is not affected. BTW, My BMW and MB were not affected with the BMW only showing signs of a nest in progress.
So, did you catch the bugger and does your MINI now run after replacing the plug wires?

...Les

Old 10-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I just spent $185 getting all the wires fixed on a Ford that had been chewed up by the wood rats. For some reason, they really like Fords. Never touched my old Chevy pickup. Didn't know they liked MINI's, guess I'll have to keep moving it. I was also told to put mothballs around.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:59 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Here in Germany we have martens that will chew wires. They even sell a spray to help keep them away.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
I had a mouse chew the plug wires on a Neon I used to own. They were relatively new thicker insulation performance wires and they chewed half way through the insulation but it didn't affect the operation of the plug wires. They continued to work fine for years.

You can buy shielding type coverings for wiring harnesses and plug wires gthat will make it very difficult or impossible for rodents to chew through. Best to go after the rodents though. Killing them is much more effective and safer and simpler than live capture.

-Keith

Old 10-28-2006, 02:45 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
I had the same problem - a rat chewed through the insulation down to the wire on (3) spark plugs.
Posted my 16-year old in the garage with a pellet gun.
Took him three days - no more rat problem!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Jnichol
1st Gear
Use a trap and bait with walnuts. Gets them everytime.

josh

Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I had this and my car sat outside one night. They like the soft boots of the spark plugs.

Even found little nut shells under the intake manifold. Keep a look out thats where they nest.
In my BMW the nested in the hood liner and ripped it apart which is 189.00 new!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 PM
icolquhoun
1st Gear
I use the "sonic" plug-in rodent noise things in the shop and house and have yet to find anything related to these nasty little creatures since. I think I would go nuts if I found anything like posted above

Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 251 Likes on 205 Posts
Just for everyone's info, the reason the rodents are eating the plug wires and the wiring in general in the newer cars is because all of the wires insulation is made with partial recycled food......so to the rodents, it's basically a free-for-all buffet under the hoods of most cars

I just had my '04 Mini's spark plug wires eaten yesterday

Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 AM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had some small bite marks on the plug wires.

Did not affect the starting or performance. I tied bounce dryer sheets around the wires.

Have not had the problem since.

Good Luck and happy motoring

Old 02-01-2018, 09:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
If you do get alot of damage your insurance should cover it. I had them eat the wire , plug boots and they pulled the clip out on the clutch line and crewed the plastic on it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-wiring.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Melissa Shaw
Insurance

How do you get insurance to pay for rodent damage. I have full coverage and I don't think they would cover that

QUOTE=ECSTuning;4364626]If you do get alot of damage your insurance should cover it. I had them eat the wire , plug boots and they pulled the clip out on the clutch line and crewed the plastic on it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-wiring.html[/QUOTE]
Insurance

Old 04-05-2021, 08:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
They covered mine, you just have to report it and then the adjustor has to come out and look. I had progressive and they covered it twice.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-18-2021, 10:16 AM
pcoldfield
1st Gear
Help w pic of windshield washer tubing

On my 2005 R53: Had rodents chew my spark plug wires and windshield washer tubing, when car parked at airport. Replaced the spark wires (and plugs), probably time anyway. Can someone give me a hand with taking a picture of the windshield washer tubing in the upper passenger side of engine? Need to see how to reconnect those lines.

Quick Reply: Rodents and Spark Plug Wires