Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My MINI died on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Caypay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI died on the highway

I posted the story on my home forum, Metroplexmini.org, and am reposting here b/c I have no idea what to do from here:

I was driving home to Dallas from College Station yesterday morning when all of the sudden, I heard a small noise (I honestly thought it was the radio). Like a second later, my tach shot up to between 6-7, and sometimes 8, and I lost all acceleration, and the car acted like it was neutral. But the car did not turn off and I had all of my other systems.

Thank God I was going between 80/90 because that's the only way I made it uphill to the next exit, where I rolled to a stop at the end of the exit ramp. Otherwise, I would have been stuck on the interstate, in a zone with no shoulders and cement barriers on both sides.

Now, off the interstate, I find myself in Italy TX. Next to a field. In the middle of NO WHERE, and on hold with roadside assistance. From that point on, the people I that I had to deal with and encountered is a story all it's own, but I finally got towed back to MoD and got home at around 645 last night. I know, it could be worse, but still.

And, before you ask, I did not hit anything, I was not accelerating, I wasn't driving aggressively or hard, I wasn't passing anyone, no weird smells or leaks, nothing fell off my MINI, no loud noises except for the split second one that was really quite, and besides the light bulb that's burned out, there have been no problems with the car, as far as I knew, it was running perfect. Up to that point, was I enjoying being the only one on the road and cruising home on a beautiful (although a little windy) day. Apparently, the fact that I could stay in the MINI with the engine running and the a/c on while waiting for a tow is an odd sign. (I'm not 100% sure why, I think it has something to do with a computer gadget that would have systematically shut down the whole car if gone haywire.)

When I did stop, and please remember that I drive a CVT, I had no trouble shifting from Drive to Neutral, but had a hard time pushing it up to Reverse, and even harder time putting it in Park. Apparently, that's not a good sign either.

As of right now, they still have NO IDEA what's going on, and are working to find out what the deal is. I'm hoping that it's not a huge problem, but there was a rather large discussion about the possibility that I could have to replace the entire transmission, and if so, then I should be prepared to think about getting rid of the MINI or getting a new one. But that's worse case.

Either way, I am currently MINI (and general car) less and anxiously awaiting word, which I'll be sure to update ya'll with.

If I would have gotten home yesterday, I would have barely broken 71k miles, so I am under the impression that this shouldn't have happened, and that a CVT should last longer than 70k miles.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Or is my assumption about a longer lasting CVT tranny wrong?

--------Later that day----------------

I have broken my drive chain and need to replace the transmission. If I didn't damage the core of the tranny, then that's $500 less, but I am still looking at $6200-6800 in parts, $3500 in labor, plus tax.

Let's hope my insurance will cover part of that.

But if it doesn't -- any suggestions as to what I should do from here?

----------------------------------------------------------

I am compeletly at a loss. Any help would be great.

Thanx!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Willbesurfing
5th Gear
Wow....that's incredible! That totally sucks. And the cost to fix it is amazing. But replacing transmissions is never a cheap endeavor. I hope you get some help by your insurance company. Best of luck!!!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I heard noise and RPM's shot up my first question was going to be "is it a CVT?". Sounds like you already know what the problem is. I'd recommend trying to see if any independent shops will do the repair for cheaper. You can probably have it rebuilt for 35-40% of the cost the dealer quoted you. It does suck though. Perhaps try to petition MINI USA for a special warranty coverage. Your transmission shouldn't self destruct at 70k miles. It's unlikely your insurance will cover any of this, as it's a mechanical repair, and I don't know of any insurance policy that includes mechanical repair coverage. Unless you have an extended warranty through the insurance company...

By the way. Your dealer is smoking something if they think it's going to be 3k in labor to install a transmission. They could rebuild it and install it for that! At $100 an hour they're talking about 30 hours of labor to install a freakin transmission. If it takes them over 4 then they need help! The parts sound ridiculous too. I'd get a second opinion from another dealer, but as your car isn't under warranty, I don't recommend having the dealer service it. Just a waste of money.

Good luck!!!

Originally Posted by Caypay
I posted the story on my home forum, Metroplexmini.org, and am reposting here b/c I have no idea what to do from here:

I was driving home to Dallas from College Station yesterday morning when all of the sudden, I heard a small noise (I honestly thought it was the radio). Like a second later, my tach shot up to between 6-7, and sometimes 8, and I lost all acceleration, and the car acted like it was neutral. But the car did not turn off and I had all of my other systems.

Thank God I was going between 80/90 because that's the only way I made it uphill to the next exit, where I rolled to a stop at the end of the exit ramp. Otherwise, I would have been stuck on the interstate, in a zone with no shoulders and cement barriers on both sides.

Now, off the interstate, I find myself in Italy TX. Next to a field. In the middle of NO WHERE, and on hold with roadside assistance. From that point on, the people I that I had to deal with and encountered is a story all it's own, but I finally got towed back to MoD and got home at around 645 last night. I know, it could be worse, but still.

And, before you ask, I did not hit anything, I was not accelerating, I wasn't driving aggressively or hard, I wasn't passing anyone, no weird smells or leaks, nothing fell off my MINI, no loud noises except for the split second one that was really quite, and besides the light bulb that's burned out, there have been no problems with the car, as far as I knew, it was running perfect. Up to that point, was I enjoying being the only one on the road and cruising home on a beautiful (although a little windy) day. Apparently, the fact that I could stay in the MINI with the engine running and the a/c on while waiting for a tow is an odd sign. (I'm not 100% sure why, I think it has something to do with a computer gadget that would have systematically shut down the whole car if gone haywire.)

When I did stop, and please remember that I drive a CVT, I had no trouble shifting from Drive to Neutral, but had a hard time pushing it up to Reverse, and even harder time putting it in Park. Apparently, that's not a good sign either.

As of right now, they still have NO IDEA what's going on, and are working to find out what the deal is. I'm hoping that it's not a huge problem, but there was a rather large discussion about the possibility that I could have to replace the entire transmission, and if so, then I should be prepared to think about getting rid of the MINI or getting a new one. But that's worse case.

Either way, I am currently MINI (and general car) less and anxiously awaiting word, which I'll be sure to update ya'll with.

If I would have gotten home yesterday, I would have barely broken 71k miles, so I am under the impression that this shouldn't have happened, and that a CVT should last longer than 70k miles.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Or is my assumption about a longer lasting CVT tranny wrong?

I have broken my drive chain and need to replace the transmission. If I didn't damage the core of the tranny, then that's $500 less, but I am still looking at $6200-6800 in parts, $3500 in labor, plus tax.

Thanx!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Over $7k for a tranny? That is absolutely crazy. Go online and look for some of the larger slavage places and buy a used one from a wreck if you can.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Bless your heart...if you ever need rides in College Station, please know you have Mini family here.

I ditto the earlier post of getting a second opinion. I almost threw up at the quote you were given. Practically the cost of half a car!

Please keep us posted Caypay!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
That is way insane and unless you just have the money to pay the dealer I would be getting a second and third opinion for sure. That just seems outrageous! Good luck with all of this and keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
What year is your MINI? How many miles?

Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
I have a feeling the CVTs on some of the early year MINIs are going to be time bombs. I have 74,000 miles on an 03 MC with CVT and I feel nervous when I take her on the freeway.

Perhaps talk to MINI USA and see if they are going to do anything about the dying CVTs. The costs you quoted are scary.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Caypay
1st Gear
Update-- sorry it's long, I didn't want to post a million times

Update: My insurance will not cover ANYTHING. I am looking into as many other options as I can think of. At this point, it may come down to having to make a choice if I can/want/can afford to stay in the MINI family. :(

Originally Posted by rustyboy155
When I heard noise and RPM's shot up my first question was going to be "is it a CVT?". Sounds like you already know what the problem is. I'd recommend trying to see if any independent shops will do the repair for cheaper. You can probably have it rebuilt for 35-40% of the cost the dealer quoted you. It does suck though. Perhaps try to petition MINI USA for a special warranty coverage. Your transmission shouldn't self destruct at 70k miles. It's unlikely your insurance will cover any of this, as it's a mechanical repair, and I don't know of any insurance policy that includes mechanical repair coverage. Unless you have an extended warranty through the insurance company...

By the way. Your dealer is smoking something if they think it's going to be 3k in labor to install a transmission. They could rebuild it and install it for that! At $100 an hour they're talking about 30 hours of labor to install a freakin transmission. If it takes them over 4 then they need help! The parts sound ridiculous too. I'd get a second opinion from another dealer, but as your car isn't under warranty, I don't recommend having the dealer service it. Just a waste of money.

Good luck!!!
Thanx.

I am. I am going to call MINIUSA tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Right now I am looking into all options and shops in the area to get labor costs down, and leaning toward a reman. tranny -- which would come with a new warrenty for another 50K miles.

And, to explain labor costs. In Dallas, no matter if it's the dealer or not, labor charges are an average of $180 an hour. MoD quotes labor for a new tranny starting at 20 hours. Which, explains the $3500 labor costs. So, if I can get that down, it would be great!!

Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
Over $7k for a tranny? That is absolutely crazy. Go online and look for some of the larger slavage places and buy a used one from a wreck if you can.
But, how reliable is a used one? What if I get a used one for cheap, and it already has 30, 40, 50k plus miles on it? Will it only last another 15-20k miles? Would I get a good warrenty on it? How long will it be before I find myself in the same boat?

Originally Posted by AggieMini
Bless your heart...if you ever need rides in College Station, please know you have Mini family here.

I ditto the earlier post of getting a second opinion. I almost threw up at the quote you were given. Practically the cost of half a car!

Please keep us posted Caypay!
Imagine how I felt. I've refused to get out of bed for the past day or so -- I'm convenieced that nothing bad will happen if I stay under the covers!!

Thanx though. Not only is the MINI family great, the Aggie family is awesome, and the MINI AGGIE faily is more than I ever could wish for!!

BTW: You going to the game this wkend?

Originally Posted by clarkdr81
What year is your MINI? How many miles?
It is a 2004 Indi Blue MC with CVT. If I would have made it home, I would have broken 71000 miles. Where it died, I think it's at 70900 and change.

Originally Posted by blue_rocket2
I have a feeling the CVTs on some of the early year MINIs are going to be time bombs. I have 74,000 miles on an 03 MC with CVT and I feel nervous when I take her on the freeway.

Perhaps talk to MINI USA and see if they are going to do anything about the dying CVTs. The costs you quoted are scary.
To be honest, I would have never doubted my CVT until this week. If you feel nervous about taking her on the freeway, then I would suggest having your tranny looked at, if not consider upgrading to a manual, MCSa, or a new 07.

You shouldn't ever be scared to drive your car. You should always feel comfortable; it makes a big difference in your driving -- and your fun!

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. And, I am totally open any ideas or suggestions.

Thanx so much for you're support!!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm curious - did you have your CVT fluid replaced every 30k?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a used transmission for my wife's Subaru through www.car-part.com which is a search engine for wrecking yards. Put in your car info, what part you're looking for and where you are and it searches a whole bunch of junkyards for you. Most places will ship, then you just have to find a local place that won't rape and pillage you on the install.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So sorry about your MINI, Caypay! I agree with Agro's suggestion. Definitely check with your local MINI enthusiast folks to see which independent shop they take their MINIs to, and get several quotes for the work. Good luck to you!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Caypay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tio Barry
I'm curious - did you have your CVT fluid replaced every 30k?
Yes. And, I just had it checked last month when I had my brakes done. My mechanic (not the dealer) who does most all of the aftermarket work for a lot of the MINIs in Dallas, does the same checks if not more every time you bring your car in for service. Everything checked out A-OK.

I have never been told that there was a problem, or any signs (like metal shavings and the like) of trouble. It's just like the thing randomly snapped.

Originally Posted by Agro
I found a used transmission for my wife's Subaru through www.car-part.com which is a search engine for wrecking yards. Put in your car info, what part you're looking for and where you are and it searches a whole bunch of junkyards for you. Most places will ship, then you just have to find a local place that won't rape and pillage you on the install.
Thanx. That's a good place to start. However, how reliable is a used one going to be? Is there any sort of warrenty?

I would hate to get this fixed, just to have the same thing happen a month from now. Although, it's a good option to look into, especially if I end up just fixing the MINI and trading it in.

Originally Posted by MINIclo
So sorry about your MINI, Caypay! I agree with Agro's suggestion. Definitely check with your local MINI enthusiast folks to see which independent shop they take their MINIs to, and get several quotes for the work. Good luck to you!
Thanx. I'm calling all the other shops in the area that regularly work on MINIs. I already found a place that would do the install for half the cost than my dealer. Even though it's around 300 miles away, it looks to be cheaper to tow it there and have them do it then pay the $3500 my dealer asks.

Thanx for all the suggestions. I will keep ya'll posted.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Suggestion...get a whole engine/tranny from a junkyard and install it yourself, and get a manual transmission and convert it over from the CVT. Install clutch pedal, etc.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
jesus.. after reading this I feel the need to lay down for a few....

I am glad I got the extended warranty thru Geico...
it is like $15 bucks every 6 months...

http://www.geico.com/auto/safety/mbi.htm

Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Lyrebard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by roehrigs01

Jeepers, that policy looks intriguing. My MINI is only 1.5 months old, but I think this warranty is something I'm going to have to look into when my 3 years are up... Have you ever had to use it?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV

Thanx. That's a good place to start. However, how reliable is a used one going to be? Is there any sort of warrenty?

I would hate to get this fixed, just to have the same thing happen a month from now. Although, it's a good option to look into, especially if I end up just fixing the MINI and trading it in.
It depends. You have to contact the junkyard directly after you do the search. The 1 I got came with a 6 month warrantee.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear

Thanx!
if you don't have any physical handycaps ask if it can be convertad to a standard.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
really dude that's like a third the cost of the car .

Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Caypay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by roehrigs01
jesus.. after reading this I feel the need to lay down for a few....

This is something I'm definetly gonna look into once I fix this problem.

It depends. You have to contact the junkyard directly after you do the search. The 1 I got came with a 6 month warrantee.
Hmmm. .. well if I can get one under warrenty, that sounds like it would be the cheapest option. Probably a good one if I end up not keeping the MINI.

Originally Posted by herbie hind
if you don't have any physical handycaps ask if it can be convertad to a standard.

Right, but I think that adds to the labor costs and is the same price for the tranny. So, it doesn't really make a difference in the price.

Unless I find one for really cheap.

Originally Posted by herbie hind
really dude that's like a third the cost of the car .
I know right!!

As it stands right now, I have gotten the labor costs down to between $1200 and $1800, if not less than that. I have also received lots of info about price breaks, and some dealers offering me a discount on parts, which is nice.

When I called MINIUSA, they said they would try to work with me, so I expect some sort of negiations over the next few days.

I am going out of town for the weekend, and MINIUSA said it would be probably Monday before they get back to me, so I most likely won't have an update till then.

But, keep the suggestions comeing, and I promise I will keep everyone updated as to what happens and what I ultimatly end up doing.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Fingers crossed that MINIUSA will help you out MAJORLY.

Ahem...out of town for the weekend, eh? You coming back HOME to watch A&M beat the Sooners and give a crushing pain to their coach's 100th GAME??

Yeah, we will be there. I will be the one in maroon , and waving at you! lol

Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Sorry to hear of your situation, its awful that the tranny would fail at such low miles. Seems like you are far from the only one from what I've seen mentioned before - IMHO it would be helpful to start compiling a list of incidents of the failure rate on these. As with other issues in the past it helps if the customers can show a pattern of failure to support a claim that the part is prone to fail/defective to get them to recognize the problem and perhaps issue a recall or some action they otherwise very likely would not. Also registering complaints with the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/) and perhaps Consumer Affairs (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php) might help.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Caypay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AggieMini
Ahem...out of town for the weekend, eh? You coming back HOME to watch A&M beat the Sooners and give a crushing pain to their coach's 100th GAME??

Yeah, we will be there. I will be the one in maroon , and waving at you! lol
You got that right!! I'm coming home for the weekend to hang with the roomies, see friends at the gate, and watch the Fightin' TX Aggies Beat the Hell Outta ou!! WHOOP!!!

I'll be sure to look for you -- you can always find me -- I'll be the one yelling real loud.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
Whooooooop!

I'll be sure to look for you -- you can always find me -- I'll be the one yelling real loud. [/quote]

We will watch for you yelling!!!

Enjoy your buddies, the Gate, and overall visit to the Aggie Mothership!!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Caypay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Sorry to hear of your situation, its awful that the tranny would fail at such low miles. Seems like you are far from the only one from what I've seen mentioned before - IMHO it would be helpful to start compiling a list of incidents of the failure rate on these. As with other issues in the past it helps if the customers can show a pattern of failure to support a claim that the part is prone to fail/defective to get them to recognize the problem and perhaps issue a recall or some action they otherwise very likely would not. Also registering complaints with the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/) and perhaps Consumer Affairs (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php) might help.

Good luck!
This is a very good idea.

As of right now, we are still is "negotiations" with MINIUSA and MoD. Last week we spent most of the week playing phone tag, to hear back from them late Friday.

I have already gone through the sites you mentioned, and am starting a list from this thread and on MINI2. I have yet to look on the owners lounge. I am also going to try to look for printed documentation (MINIUSA saying why they are switching tranny's for the new model, and admission to faulty tranny problems with earlier builds and such) to strengthen my argument that they should have recalled or acknowledged that there was a problem and let owners know.

I was wondering though, does anyone know how many complaints have to be made to force a recall? And is there any way to find out about complaints not posted on websites?

I'll be sure to let ya'll know what the outcome is, it just may take a little more time that I would like for it to.

Quick Reply: My MINI died on the highway