Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Attention all CVT OWNERS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the extended warranty I purchased when I bought my used '03 Cooper in '04 will cover the CVT should the belt break.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
I wonder if the extended warranty I purchased when I bought my used '03 Cooper in '04 will cover the CVT should the belt break.

yup... it should be covered. it should be covered under drive train or transsimsion...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
yup... it should be covered. it should be covered under drive train or transsimsion...
Whewwwww...now, I can start putting more miles on the car again!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Whewwwww...now, I can start putting more miles on the car again!
check your paperwork... but i would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be covered

Old 09-08-2007, 07:46 PM
tommyspitfire
1st Gear
Attention all CVT owners!

I posted a thread asking about individuals having problems. I have an 03 with about 27,000 miles and have heard horror stories. My area doesn't have a MINI dealer and the closest one is 250 miles away. I bought the car from a non MINI dealer and opted for an extended warrenty where the maximum I have to pay is $100.00. That's a deal, but what a pain and expense to haul it to Utah to have it fixed. BTW, no problems yet, but when I had the 20K inspection done they put a defective crush ring on the gearbox after a flush. I had it hauled back to Utah on their dime and they made good as my car was still under warrenty. But, the car goes out of factory warrenty this month.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt, did you ever hear back from NHTSA?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not yet...

I'll call in again next week to see what they say. To tell the truth, the connection was just horrible, so I don't know if they heard all my numbers well.

Matt

Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Any updates?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Faith in the gov is sliding...

I got a nice e-mail thanking me for contacting them and stating the policy they use to charge for printing and the like. I wrote back a few days ago saying
1) I didn't want them to print me any TSBs.
2) I'd called to say that a TSB that Mini issues wasn't listed on thier site.
3) I write articles for MC Squared, and was trying to do a service by letting them know either they'd screwed up, or Mini wasn't giving them the TSBs.

I hope in two weeks I don't get the very same e-mail....

Matt

Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
numbatu
Neutral
Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support, NEWUNIT. If you would like to join our class action, please write me at no2@numba-tu.com. We need all the participants we can get. Lawyers are not hungry unless we have enough people interested. Please also spread the words and let others who might be interested know about what I am doing. My goal is to contact one of the news channels in the Bay Area of California by the end of the month. If any of you out there are interested in sharing your story, please let me know. Again, write me at no2@numba-tu.com. With everyone's help, we can surely get the ball rolling and have our justice!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
DCCoop
Neutral
Joining the club - CVT Failure

We had a CVT Failure on our 2002 Mini with only 32,000 miles. The dealer quoted $8500 to replace it. After the shock, I did a little research which led me to this thread, and many others. I decided to get MINIUSA Corporate involved, indicating that we knew this was not an isolated problem, and that I hoped that they would be able to help in this situation. They have been in touch with the dealer, but no further contact yet.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA, which I believe was suggested in this forum and others. I would STRONGLY suggest that everyone who has had trouble with CVT do this (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm). I also used their on-line database, and printed out all complaints made to date on the 2002, 2003, and 2004 CVT (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/).

I'll update the group when I have something to report...
Wish me luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
jrprich
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 04 with a CVT.

I have been unable to find the TSB mentioned.

Those who have purchased Extended Warranties, please post your findings on cost and coverage. Looking through several such a Warranty Direct, I don't see anything in the Transmission sections that refers to "Belts". As such, I would bet they would deny the claim as it was a non listed/non covered item

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
LarryP
Coordinator :: NorCal MINIs
Replace it with a 5 speed

I've got a 5speed, axles, wiring, shifter and linkage, pedal box with fluid bottles for a 2003 Cooper for sale. I got them to convert my 03 from a cvt to manual after blowing two CVTs, they have less than 20k on them. I went and got a 05 s auto so I'm getting rid of the 03 stuff. $3000 for all of it. I paid more for it. Located in SF Bay Area. Larry P

Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Post made in error!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Really, the CVT belt isn't belt in the traditional sense of the word...

Originally Posted by jrprich
I have an 04 with a CVT.

I have been unable to find the TSB mentioned.

Those who have purchased Extended Warranties, please post your findings on cost and coverage. Looking through several such a Warranty Direct, I don't see anything in the Transmission sections that refers to "Belts". As such, I would bet they would deny the claim as it was a non listed/non covered item
It's not a rubber service item like the serpentine belt on the front of the motor. If it were to snap, I'd guess it would be covered. But then again, the best way to know is to call them.....

Matt

Old 06-08-2008, 04:47 PM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
The Chicken Coop died!! Catastrophic transmission failure. I had to replace it. So...disappointed. East Bay MINI quoted a ridiculous price to replace it (approached 9K). Had it towed to Edge MotorWorks for tranny replacement.

some of the Love for my MINI is gone.

Any progress with class action?

Dianne

Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Oh no Another CVT bites the dust. Was the quote from EMM considerably better?

Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 PM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_rocket2
The Chicken Coop died!! Catastrophic transmission failure. I had to replace it. So...disappointed. East Bay MINI quoted a ridiculous price to replace it (approached 9K). Had it towed to Edge MotorWorks for tranny replacement.

some of the Love for my MINI is gone.

Any progress with class action?

Dianne
Could you please report your miles at the time of failure? Thanks and very sorry to hear about your CVT issue.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
bridgemute
1st Gear
How many people are actually having a long life with this CVT? Are the premature failures caused by not changing the fluid?

I'm at 50,600 miles...so its definitely got me worried..

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
jamsong
Neutral
Mine failed too

I have a 2003 Cooper and my CVT transmission failed two days ago at 74,500 miles.
$6300 to fix from an independent transmission shop or $7000 from the dealer. I called Mini USA today and they said they will look into it and see what they can do for me.
Needless to say, I am very disappointed in this car (many other troubles) and it will likely be the last Mini or BMW I ever buy. Maybe I'll have a change of heart if Mini-USA takes good care of me but I'm skeptical at this point.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Schwinn
1st Gear
I think my wife's CVT is failing. Can someone help with the symptoms? The other night (last 20 miles of a 500 mile trip) we started hearing something rattle. It almost sounded like something slapping coming from under the hood. Much like a belt slap. It was only doing it over 50mph or so initially and did not do it when revving or sitting idle. Took it home and messed around with it trying to figure out. Took it back out today and it is slapping off and on over 30mph or so. I also noticed a whistle or howling sound. I assume it is about to go out and sounds a lot like the TSB...

Should I get it to the dealer before it completely goes out? Can they replace the bearing in question? Has anybody had this done? It may be something else I guess but sure sounds like it.

Thanks

Last edited by Schwinn; 09-01-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Edit: I should add it has 62k miles. Uh-oh!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
My MINI (the chicken_coop) was at ~75,000 miles when the CVT died. Edge Motorworks quoted a much better price and I went with them for the tranny replacement. I had completed both service I and service II with tranny fluid changes, so my problem could not be related to lack of fluid replacement (per owners manual).

Sorry to hear other are having problems with their CVTs. I keep waiting for MINI to step up to the plate and say they screwed up and to offer some compensation.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well at 63500 and still no issues

I am taking it on myself to change fluid once a year as a prevenative

we shall see

Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
You can add me to the list of failures.

2003 Cooper w/CVT and 81,500 miles. It hasn't died yet but is making noises. I thought it was a CV joint making the noise, but the dealer says I need a new transmission and it will cost $7600.00

This just isn't right. With so many complaints on this and other boards why isn't the NHTSA taking notice? I plan on filing a complaint here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm . If anyone has had a failure they should submit a complaint too. If a recall is started, those who have paid for replacement transmissions may get their money back. I have seen this happen with other recalls. It's worth a try anyway.

I have always been treated right by MINI and my dealer. I hope that when I call MINI USA they step-up and own the problem. There isn't any reason that a vehicle with regular maintenance and careful driving should have a transmission fail at 81,500 miles. Besides, if you buy a certified used MINI under their MINI Next program you would get a 6year/100,000 mile warranty. They better load-up on CVT replacements to cover that warranty because most of the failures I have read about happen well before 100,000 miles.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Because...

Originally Posted by Lucas63
With so many complaints on this and other boards why isn't the NHTSA taking notice? I plan on filing a complaint here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm .
the NHTSA doesn't actively harvest info from the net, they work based on complaints filed. Good pointer to others to file complaints on the NHTSA site.

Matt

Quick Reply: Attention all CVT OWNERS!