Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Does ANYBODY have a Dinan CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Phantom
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall correctly, the dimples on the stock air hose I do belive are sound dampners, I really not too sure but I could see how it would throw the sound waves causeing sound suppression, not too sure anyone want to back me up?

Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
I have a Dinan CAI and like it.. better than stock, but looks stock... I went Dinan because I wanted more power but I didn't want any issues with the dealer about warranty stuff.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Roehrigs - do you find that the Dinan Exhaust pops are abnormally loud?

I love the popping, but man, mine are extremely loud, I'm just trying to make sure nothing's up.

mb

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phantom

Seems to be like anyother intake but with a new lid and of better quality filter and product that not only fits perfect but looks and sounds good but thats just my thoughts, only question I have is can the filter be cleaned, or do you replace it?

According to "Official" Dinan people - the filter can NOT be cleaned and reused - just replaced every 20-30K miles

That being said.... I have talked to several Dinan reps and all have said the filter CAN be cleaned and reused using the K&N recharge kits. I have done this myself and it seems to work fine.

BUT - in a earlier post someone posted the # of a K&N filter that would fit in the Dinan box - so that may be a better choice when it comes time to replace / clean the filter.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Roehrigs - do you find that the Dinan Exhaust pops are abnormally loud?

I love the popping, but man, mine are extremely loud, I'm just trying to make sure nothing's up.

mb
No Dinan exhaust for me... I had the one-ball done a while ago and really can see paying $900 for the Dinan clamp-on... I installed the CAI, STB, Dinan plug wires and Mini of Hawaii did the Pulley upgrade & Stage 5 SW... Will prob get/install the TB eventually..

Popping is about the same before and after the Stage 5 install with my one-ball... it is prob fine for you.. just the Dinan exhaust has better flow...

Old 01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
According to "Official" Dinan people - the filter can NOT be cleaned and reused - just replaced every 20-30K miles

That being said.... I have talked to several Dinan reps and all have said the filter CAN be cleaned and reused using the K&N recharge kits. I have done this myself and it seems to work fine.

BUT - in a earlier post someone posted the # of a K&N filter that would fit in the Dinan box - so that may be a better choice when it comes time to replace / clean the filter.

I looked at the K&N filter - but I think the one specified is round - the dinan oval filter seems to maximize surface area for the available space...

Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
rrudorf
2nd Gear
I can vouch for the Dinan CAI. I need info on the stage 1 software. Is it a good deal?

RR

Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rrudorf
I can vouch for the Dinan CAI. I need info on the stage 1 software. Is it a good deal?

RR
don't know here... I went straight to stage 5...

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
napptym
3rd Gear
do i need

so if i do the Dian CAI do i need the new map too?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by napptym
so if i do the Dian CAI do i need the new map too?

No. You don't need a new map for just the intake.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ignote
2nd'd... I was running the Dinan CAI for a few months before I went Stage 5...

Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ignote
I just got back from my local dealer to inquire about the Dinan CAI. The sheet they printed out from their parts ordering program said that the Stage 3 program was required and the free flow exhaust is recommended to go with the intake. I got a confused look when I told him that a lot of folks are running the CAI w/o any program and even the Dinan site said it was only recommended. His reply was, "Well that's what the computer says."

Sheez, between that, charging an extra $50 for the CAI, and the estimate sheet having the program and the exhaust added to it (neither of which I asked about) I'm gonna head over to the Dinan site and see if I can order direct.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
what a crock.... however, there are a few dealer you can buy it online and they will ship it to you... install isn't bad either.. not hard, just takes a bit of time...

Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Got mine from Victor at miniworks.com (who's site is down at the moment) and did the install myself in less than an hour. You just need a 1/2" (or so) drill and some aviation snips to make the very simple cowl mod.

And it makes a noticeable difference in sound and response with no software.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Thanks guys, I figured he was blowing sunshine up my a$$. I'll look around and see if I can't get it at msrp somewhere. If worse comes to worst I'll just order it from my dealer, get the stink eye from them, and install it myself.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the MINIWORKS.COM - he is a local dealer ( to me ) and has some good deals..

Also I used a pair of household scissors ( sharp ones ) to cut the cowl hole - it is very flimsy plastic and cuts like butter - took about 20-30 min, to do the whole install -- that inc. reading the directions - twice

Good luck

Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Well, I've been stymied in my efforts. At Miniworks.com I got a couple of pages into the ordering process and it just crapped out on me. Oh well, I'll wait a day or two and try again.

Durn, now I gotta figure out something else to do at the wee hours while I'm here at work!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Just call Victor at miniworks and I bet he can take care of it over the phone...

Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
cruzman
1st Gear
I have the Dinan CAI as well and the install was pretty simple, but then I cheated and used a dremel to do my cut-out.. I also have the Powertone catback exhaust and to me the combination of the 2 made a difference. I especially love the sound...Now if you're looking to get the chip reprogrammed..I would recommend Fireball Racing for that...they did my chip and there was a night and day difference, but then of course there are a few other things I have done besides the CAI and exhaust...well thats my .02 cents.. oh and to Bigcoyote, so we were suppose to read the directions?? lol

Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Just call Victor at miniworks and I bet he can take care of it over the phone...
Actually a lady from there just called a few minutes ago. They apparently got my contact info before the ordering process ***** the bed, so they called to see if I still wanted to order. Not only did they have it in stock at MSRP, they're shipping it out later today...a damn sight better than the $50 markup and 7-10 day wait from my dealer.

So it looks like in aboot in a week I'll throw up my $.02.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yep. I've gotten really great service when I ordered from miniworks.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzman
I have the Dinan CAI as well and the install was pretty simple, but then I cheated and used a dremel to do my cut-out.. I also have the Powertone catback exhaust and to me the combination of the 2 made a difference. I especially love the sound...Now if you're looking to get the chip reprogrammed..I would recommend Fireball Racing for that...they did my chip and there was a night and day difference, but then of course there are a few other things I have done besides the CAI and exhaust...well thats my .02 cents.. oh and to Bigcoyote, so we were suppose to read the directions?? lol
When you say 'Cut Out' do you mean cutting out the old air box? Or is that part of the install. Kinda new to some of this.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
When you say 'Cut Out' do you mean cutting out the old air box? Or is that part of the install. Kinda new to some of this.
The old airbox top comes out without any cutting. The Dinan airbox uses the stock airbox bottom - you're just replacing the top of the box. The Dinan box top has a vent in the top that fits through a small opening you cut in the plastic cowl wall where it curves behind / over the airbox.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
red_line
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
The old airbox top comes out without any cutting. The Dinan airbox uses the stock airbox bottom - you're just replacing the top of the box. The Dinan box top has a vent in the top that fits through a small opening you cut in the plastic cowl wall where it curves behind / over the airbox.
Is this cut reversible or once cut their is no going back?
Also what is the difference between JCW CAI and the Dinan CAI?
To me it sounds like JCW has a flap that opens up at 4k so ya don't need to
cut a hole in the back ducting like the Dinan. Is this worth the price
variance between the two. Dinan being 200.00 and JCW is now 300.00.
Ive read the Dinan might be louder do to it always being open.

I'M gona buy one of them but not shur what one is the better option.
Any input from you guys? Is it that much louder?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Depends on your definition of "reversible" - it's reversible by replacing the relatively inexpensive (I've heard) plastic cowl wall.

The JCW also opens into the cowl - I'm not sure if it comes with a replacement with the hole already cut, or if it's a cut-to-install also...

Quick Reply: Does ANYBODY have a Dinan CAI?