Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power steering pump fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:45 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump fan

Quick question:
Anybody buy a new Power Steering Pump Fan?
Mines been making noise – getting worst and worst – took it off and oiled but problem keeps coming back so I’m going to replace it.

How much do they cost??
Is it available only thru the dealer?

Old 11-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got one through Classic MINI (NAM sponsor). It's about 100 dollars. Sadly, these things are only available through the dealer.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
OK

I thought so - just hopen that they were available somewhere else

thanx

Old 11-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish there was another source, or at least an aftermarket solution of some different design. Despite the addition of a screen to protect the fan from sucking in object, the motor is bound to fail time and time again due to the design of the unit - the blade traps water around the motor when driving on wet roads. I have yet to find a suitable replacement in that 120mm size. It's a common size for industrial fans, but none I have found are meant for all weather usage.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Mine is Siezed...Dealer quoted $160 for the part + fgt

Originally Posted by rajron
Quick question:
Anybody buy a new Power Steering Pump Fan?
Mines been making noise – getting worst and worst – took it off and oiled but problem keeps coming back so I’m going to replace it.

How much do they cost??
Is it available only thru the dealer?
My PS fan siezed and I was going to drive to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty this Fri...A High Sierra snow storm is moving in tomorrow so I will play it by ear...Reno to Sacramento takes you over DONNER PASS! Since it will cost me about $35 in gas + the possibility of breaking my windshield on the trip (Rain sensor windshield) I would have paid the $100 to have them send it to me...2 bolts and a wiring plug...Piece of cake! BTW: the fan does whine by nature...oil can attract dirt making it worse! I bet the fan is sleeve bearings and not ball bearing!

My dealer quoted $160...a real joke since it really is a POS!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
So is the part a warranty part?
and you still need to pay for it?

for sure its a sleeve bearing either way its drying out from lube.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
I was going to do it myself

So is the part a warranty part?
and you still need to pay for it?

for sure its a sleeve bearing either way its drying out from lube.
It is supposed to be a warranty part...UNLESS they find something lodged in it or some contact point....I would still argue it was due to the location and design (probably lose)

For $100 bucks (considering the gas and time lost traveling, and wear and tear, and time of year etc) I would have shelled it out and forgone the warranty.....but not for a rip of $160! Only thing is I want to make sure it did not take a relay/50amp fuse with it since it is completely siezed up!

I guess one could always go to an electric motor shop and have them rebuild one after warranty if needed...may the lowest bidder win when they build these things....pretty sad! Considering that if the fan screwed up in the heat...you would probably lose the expensive PS pump itself!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty when the car was about 6 months old. Haven't had an issue since. Maybe the replacement was of better quality?

My 2003 MINI is a December '02 build.

Alan

Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Unfortunately...

Originally Posted by Alan
I had mine replaced under warranty when the car was about 6 months old. Haven't had an issue since. Maybe the replacement was of better quality?

My 2003 MINI is a December '02 build.

Alan
Unfortunately, if it is a sleeve bearing fan (I think it is)...it is doomed and just a matter of time....Mine is an 04 built in dec 03...This one does have the cheapo plactic mesh grill to stop stuff from getting sucked into it (supposedly) You would think they would use a ball bearing fan

Old 12-07-2006, 09:03 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
Don’t know much about warranty stuff – I did replace both oxygen sensors but those failed within the first 10K miles so it was obvious it was warranty.
I went to get my new PS fan from the dealer $145.00 plus tax.
The parts guy asked if my car was still under warranty - “I don’t know” I said so he said I should check with the service peoples – they said it was warranty up to 50K miles – made an appointment and this morning they replaced the fan in less than 35 minutes – we had to wait for the parts department to open up.
All is good and it cost nothing – even got a free cup of coffee from the dealer, Sandia Mini, here in Albuquerque.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
It is 2 bolts and a plug

Don’t know much about warranty stuff – I did replace both oxygen sensors but those failed within the first 10K miles so it was obvious it was warranty.
I went to get my new PS fan from the dealer $145.00 plus tax.
The parts guy asked if my car was still under warranty - “I don’t know” I said so he said I should check with the service peoples – they said it was warranty up to 50K miles – made an appointment and this morning they replaced the fan in less than 35 minutes – we had to wait for the parts department to open up.
All is good and it cost nothing – even got a free cup of coffee from the dealer, Sandia Mini, here in Albuquerque.
Yeah...probably the majority of the time was spent getting in/out of the shop and a quick test...we are looking at 2 bolts and a plug to replace one!

Funny
Classic Mini=$100
yours=$145
Mine = $160

all for the same part.....ahhhh free enterprise

Old 10-20-2007, 05:45 PM
SeattleMiniMan
2nd Gear
Anyone know how to tell if this fan has failed? Is it supposed to be on whenever the engine fan is? Mine doesn't come on when the radiator fan is running... is that bad? Also, my PS has stopped working a couple of times for a few minutes then come back on.. can this be caused by overheating due to the fan not coming on? Does anyone know what fuse to check to see if that's the problem?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Funny to see this post mine is starting to make a weird groaning sound from time to time I am going to order one.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
may i suggest this thread for an alt.. fix or replacement fan

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=a101

or more direct upgrade for one on the car.. is the 4 in fan

http://etxiow.accpaconline.com/searc...TOKEN=18430106

Last edited by Mugami; 10-20-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So where in the heck did my PS Pump Fan come from?

History:

When K-huevo originally posted these pics of the old and new style PS Pump Fan in the flaming engine bay thread...

...I was always feeling safe and a little smug that I had an 05/05 build date with the redesigned part.

Today I decided to remove my aluminum skid plate since I'm planning on changing the oil later in the week. While I was under there I figured I'd check out the PS Pump Fan to make sure it was free-wheeling and clear out any debris from around the bearing. Here's a picture of the fan removed, and yes indeed, we are golden as it looks pretty much like the redesigned PS Fan Pump from the front:

But when I turned it over...crap!!

This part, although cleverly disguised from the front, clearly has the same electronics (and likely the same flaws) as the early pump fans. On closer inspection, there are a few subtle differences from the front as well.

So now I'm wondering: how many months did these faux replacement PS Pump Fans get bolted on to the MINI? Does this hint that the older, more problematic wiring harness is also on board? If you have an early-to-mid '05 build date you might want to check this out for yourself.

I have this sudden, uncontrollable urge to go out and buy a fire extinguisher...

Last edited by Gil-galad; 03-17-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Power steering humor

So I was stumbling around the internet in search of ANYTHING related to the PS (which really means Piece of **it) Fan and ran across this video from YouTube. The Mini Cooper repair manual publisher describes the difference between their two mini manuals....check out the chapter he makes an example out of.......it's quite funny...yet strange that he chose THAT chapter.

Do they know that a majority of customers buy their manual for this particular reason? hmmmmmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQTHCZ8z1U

Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gil, what is the build date of your MINI?

Second question, why remove the skid plate to change oil? I changed mine yesterday with the skid plate in place as I have done many times with no issues.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Crashton
Gil, what is the build date of your MINI?
It's an 05/05

Second question, why remove the skid plate to change oil? I changed mine yesterday with the skid plate in place as I have done many times with no issues.
I was going to remove it for the summer anyway to facilitate additional air flow. My main purpose for the plate is to protect engine and drivetrain from the wintertime ice chunks that seem to breed at the end of my driveway.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I wonder if we can find when the fan was changed for the later design. Inquiring minds what to know.

I understand, yep you will get more air plate-less. I too wanted to protect my sump from icebergs.

Happy 4th!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Gil-galad
I wonder if we can find when the fan was changed for the later design. Inquiring minds what to know.

I understand, yep you will get more air plate-less. I too wanted to protect my sump from icebergs.

Happy 4th!!!
Crash, here's how the PS fan iterations are listed on the RealOEM site:

Description........................ Up to:..........P/N....................Notes
Fan with protecting grille...... 07/2006...... 32416774702...... ENDED
Fan with protecting grille...... 05/2007...... 32416777632...... ENDED
Fan with protecting grille........................ 32416781742

Of course, there is probably very little correlation between the date when the supply of a particular part was exhausted from the shelf and the date when the replacement, redesigned part started showing up on the assembly line. As a result, I'm not sure the dates on this list offer much insight.

Hope you're enjoying your holiday too.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the extra electronics?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Bigshot
Why the extra electronics?
That's the $64K question.

One would imagine that there must have been some sort of perceived vulnerability in the original design in order to warrant the time and expense to change it. I doubt you could get anyone at BMW to elaborate...

Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can imagine that they would be there for is to isolate any kind of failure that would cause the fan to overheat and possibly catch fire.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Rufurt
Neutral
I Just took off my original ps fan to clean it. I have had it off before about a year ago when my ps pump died. Had the pump replaced, but i checked the fan myself.

My fan still works, so I didn't install the SPAL replacement that I bought. I did notice something different this time when I took it off.

If you look at the last photo in Gil-Galad's post you see the fan connected to the car. On my fan, between the electrical connection on the fan body and the car connection was what looked like an extension about 3-4" long. Same connectors on the ends so it mates the fan body connector and the car connector. I noticed a lump under the heat shrink of this extension. Didn't cut it open but, from the feel of it, over an inch long and about 0.5" thick, I believe it may be a fuse of some kind.

Do you think the mechanics inserted this bit of fuse into the electrical wiring to the ps fan when they replaced my ps pump?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
My guess would be yes, but it's hard to know for sure.

Last edited by Crashton; 09-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump fan