Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:17 AM
rjyoder4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner

After reading some info about Cleaning Up Fuel System Deposits (see link & thanks Gromit 801), I wonder if anyone else uses, has used, or has an opinion about this stuff. The article, says in part:

"Some of the high end aftermarket fuel additive packages are very effective at removing deposits in the fuel injectors, intake ports, intake valves, combustion chambers, and exhaust valves. One of the best products available is the STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It can out perform Techron and other Techron-based products like Slick 50 and Gumout Regane with respect to intake valve and combustion chamber clean up".

Found @: post#17
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=84865

If I am understanding this right, most U.S. gasoline has less deposit control additive than it should, mainly due to gas companies trying to get around the law (imagine that).

So what do you think?

- Good idea
- Total waste of money
- This stuff is better . . . (pls specify "this")
- Don't do it you idiot
- What ! you haven' t been using this? dude, your engine is doomed.

Thanks -

Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I use the STP gas treatment about every 1k miles and during that tank the car seems to run better. If I run it every tank for a few tanks the car seems to perform better. I found this stuff @ Walmart in a 3 pack for $2.50 so its no biggy on my wallet.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Just an FYI

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I use the STP gas treatment about every 1k miles and during that tank the car seems to run better. If I run it every tank for a few tanks the car seems to perform better. I found this stuff @ Walmart in a 3 pack for $2.50 so its no biggy on my wallet.
The review mentioned was for STP COMPLETE FUEL TREATMENT....there are 2 of them...the regular one found at Walmart the the COMPLETE.

I am also going to try the complete after wy Mini comes out of Hybernation!

I did use Sea Foam and fed it thru the induction hose...WOW what a difference after that...Seems even at 20k mi there were deposits in my fuel system and I only use Chevron 91.

Bye Bye Techron additive! I may even try a lesser brand of gas next year but still 91. If they are putting in less additive...why pay more for top tier?. In reno ALL gas comes from cA from ONE PIPELINE...the delivery trucks then have the respective additives put into their tanks (or prior to their fill up)

Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
There's a lot more than two of them:

STP® Complete Fuel System Cleaner

STP® Diesel Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner

STP® Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner

STP® Super Concentrated Gas Treatment

STP® Fuel Injector and Carburetor Treatment

STP® Gas Treatment

Always look at the MSDS. Curiously, the Complete is the only one based on kerosene; even the diesel one isn't. And the Complete may contain the most of their proprietary ingredient.

I only use fuel additives in a fuel injected car if there is clearly a problem to fix such as hesitation, and do not use them routinely.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Chevron Techron at each oil change. Just a preventative measure on my part.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
jody
2nd Gear
I'm a big fan of Sea Foam....Have a bike that has a tendency to get sticking values...STP wont touch it but Sea Foam cleans it up on one treatment...

Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to find this at Walmart.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I haven't tried STP but I'll throw some Redline SI-1 in every once in a while. Techron is also good stuff from what hear.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:40 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jody
I'm a big fan of Sea Foam....Have a bike that has a tendency to get sticking values...STP wont touch it but Sea Foam cleans it up on one treatment...
I have seen on many car forums that Sea Foam is great, but can't find where to buy it.
Any suggestions?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Be careful with these types of solvent cleaners. Solvent based cleaners can cause more harm than good when used too often. They can eat seals and diaphrams that are used in the fuel system. Yes, they are effetive... but there are safer products to use.

Redline makes a fuel injection cleaner that is detergent based. It doesn't contain the harsh solvents and can be used often safely.

Too much of a good thing can lead to problems down the road...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM
cooper99
Banned
Can you actually feel some improvement after you use a fuel system cleaner, or is it just a peace of mind difference? Do you see a slight increase in gas milage or something?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
I used half a can of Seafoam and my cold-start issue
disappeared immediately and has not returned. Seafoam is usually
sitting on the front counter at O'Reilly Auto Parts stores.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ylwjkt
I used half a can of Seafoam and my cold-start issue
disappeared immediately and has not returned.

Can you actually feel some improvement after you use a fuel system cleaner, or is it just a peace of mind difference? Do you see a slight increase in gas milage or something?
If you are having problems related to deposits then yes they can help. In the example above, that was most likely caused by carbon build up. The carbon soaks up some of the gas on a cold start making the car too lean to run well. The seafoam removed the carbon & the problem went away.

I use Techron as a preventive measure. Mom said an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:56 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Sea Foam

Originally Posted by thulchatt
I have seen on many car forums that Sea Foam is great, but can't find where to buy it.
Any suggestions?
Sea Foam is at Autozone...BUT

As the other poster mentioned...NOT TOO Often and if using the induction method instead of in the gas tank (more and faster results)...Do it just BEFORE an oil chg as it can dislodge deposits and contaminate the oil!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gizzer777
Do it just BEFORE an oil chg as it can dislodge deposits and contaminate the oil!
Very good advice....

Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I ran my previous car up to about 180,000 and then decided to use a fuel system cleaner. I got such great results that I used it on every oil change...once a month with the mileage I was putting on it. After about 4 months, my head gasket went. I'm sure it was a solvent based product. Definitely be careful how often you use the solvent based ones.

Also, keep in mind that they will increase the octane of the fuel. Some of them say that using the additive in every tank will eliminate your need to use higher octane fuels. This will definitely give the impression that the product is making the car run better, whether it is helping or not. I think the only way to tell which ones are better is to see which ones have actually fixed problems... so I guess the seafoam sounds good so far...

Old 11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
A few years ago I wanted to try some Redline Fuel Injector Cleaner, but I couldn't get any where I lived (had to order it). The Redline guy I talked to confessed that Chevron Techron was the exact same stuff. He said the key is to buy the large bottle (12 oz?) and use the whole bottle. Then drive the car on the highway for a while so the engine get's good and hot. That's when the cleaners work the best....at least that's what he told me.

I've been buying Techron ever since and it always seems to make the car run better. But if I dilute it too much, like filling our trucks' 30 gallon tank, and then pouring in the 12 oz. bottle, doesn't work too well. I have to fill the truck 1/2 way, add the Techron then go on a long drive.

Works for me! I do it every 10,000 miles or when ever the vehicle has a slight miss during idle.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
seafoam

Originally Posted by AliceCooperWA
so I guess the seafoam sounds good so far...
if I have my facts straight...it has been around since the 1940's and was used on
wwII fighter planes...I am no youngster and I remember using it on an olds 442

When I used it (vacuum induction method) the results were startling...2 try start problem is gone and the idle is just plain smooth where before it was a hair on the rough side...I had thought it was our wonderful gas!:impatient Throttle response is like my 04 is a new car!

Remember to chg oil right after treatment but drive about 5 miles or so before the engine digests everything and it stops stalling you out when you come to idle(common but no problem after you run it through!)

Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
leemlancon
1st Gear
Guys.. I have a rough idle with A/C on. It was rough without A/C on before I found that the air filter was so far gone that it was choking the car. Mini says 60 K mile change for air filter but mine only had 35 K on it. I ran seafoam through the gas as I had just changed the oil. I did not really see any improvement in gas milage or in the idle. Should I do the vaccume method? If so can someone please tell me how to do that?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 AM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Check out this post on BOB about fuel cleaners before taking the plunge. It's shockingly informative.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=14#Post260215

Here's a quick rundown:
THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY). They can be used freely in the gas tank. (The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK.
(Do not add these to your gas tank unless in small quantities). Also, use them up quickly, do not let them sit for a week. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment
· Monoethanolamine

Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliWORKs
Check out this post on BOB about fuel cleaners before taking the plunge. It's shockingly informative.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=14#Post260215

Here's a quick rundown:
So pretty much if you're going to use the ones on the bottom, be prepared to burn through most of the tank in one sitting instead of allowing it time to sit?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I use Techron. I'm very glad to see it didn't make the melt your nylons list.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
So pretty much if you're going to use the ones on the bottom, be prepared to burn through most of the tank in one sitting instead of allowing it time to sit?
Yes, consider it an excuse for a good motoring trip.

Originally Posted by Crashton
I use Techron. I'm very glad to see it didn't make the melt your nylons list.
I use Techron too.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
I have been using Techron for some time to prevent a sticking sending unit in a late model Corvette. It corrects the problem within a tank full using this additive. So I use it every 3,000 miles. I believe it is in Chevron, Shell and Texaco. After reading this thread, I think I should use it in my new Mini S.