Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Yet another Power Window Failure / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
MINIKB
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Yet another Power Window Failure / Questions

We did not drive the MINI for abot 3 weeks or so and up on start up yesterday I realized that drivers side window is not working. There is a click noise coming under the glove box area when I push the toggle up and down.

I tried the window reset function which also did not do anything and all the fusses are also fine.

The interesting thing is door opens and closes just fine without the dipping function.

What do you guys think this is? Would a power window motor go bad without any sympthoms what so ever? It was working just fine right before we parked the car?

Is there anything else that I should look for?

Thanks in advance.....

Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor or regulator or?

Originally Posted by MINIKB
We did not drive the MINI for abot 3 weeks or so and up on start up yesterday I realized that drivers side window is not working. There is a click noise coming under the glove box area when I push the toggle up and down.

I tried the window reset function which also did not do anything and all the fusses are also fine.

The interesting thing is door opens and closes just fine without the dipping function.

What do you guys think this is? Would a power window motor go bad without any sympthoms what so ever? It was working just fine right before we parked the car?

Is there anything else that I should look for?

Thanks in advance.....

Could be motor, regulator or wiring....Mini's have this problem in a lot of cases...I caught my pass side regulator (had become intermittant) just before it died and they did it under warranty...Not a cheap job.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK ... let's write it again ...
While holding the switch to make the window move, thump the door panel - above the speaker, below the door open handle. It will free the stuck motor, for a while ...

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...or ask the owner of the $90,000 M5 who is having his faulty window regulators replaced at 4K. :impatient This is more a BMW-wide problem; has been for decades. Warranties are good.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
MINIKB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
While holding the switch to make the window move, thump the door panel - above the speaker, below the door open handle. It will free the stuck motor, for a while ...
That is the only thing I have not tried..... I will do it when I get home tonight

Originally Posted by sequence
...or ask the owner of the $90,000 M5 who is having his faulty window regulators replaced at 4K. :impatient This is more a BMW-wide problem; has been for decades. Warranties are good.
I thought they have addressed this issue already. I am taking delivery of a 335 coupe next week..... which I am sure will have this problem soon.

BTW, Mini is out of the warranty

Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 PM
MINIKB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
OK, I am home now and this method did work..... What is the remaining life expectency if we don't use the window as much?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Don't know ... the first time I tried it I thought I'd fixed it ... but it did fail again ... when it got down to failing every week, I got the motor replaced!

What happens inside the motor is little bits of plastic wear off the casing and prevent electrical connection to the motor brushes. Over time I guess more and more crud builds up, till eventually no amount of hitting will fix it.

Remember also that every time you get in/out of the car, the motor runs a little bit.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Mine was out of warranty but Classic fixed it for free just a couple of weeks ago. It is a known problem so you might just want to give the dealer a call. You'll never know what they will say unless you ask.

I watched and it did not look all that difficult. The only special tool was a spanner to release the window from the lift mechanism. I know, I know....if you don't have the "special " tool it can become quite difficult.

I'd give the dealer a call. Bribe them with a pizza for lunch. Amazing what a little kindness will do.

...Les

Old 12-09-2006, 03:16 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, this is a common problem with the 2002 MCS....The trick works for a while....(you may even have to do it a couple of more times before it craps out) Luckily, I had both my motors replaced right before the warranty expired...but I'm sure It'll do it again in about 2-3 more years.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
My 2002 window regulators and motors were replaced out of warranty on both doors at the same time. Bob Smith in Calabasas, CA, did it for me. Really, no hard questions even asked.

Paul

Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Both of my windows had this problem. The passenger side was the last one. Dealer replaced the rubber molding as well. Said early rubber molding became sticky as it aged which compounded the problem.

Alan
2003 MINI
December 2002 build

Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIKB

I just discovered the same problem with my driver's side window. What is this window reset function and how do I use it? I want to try everything I can before I drop my car off at the dealerhip (over an hour away).

thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Just scroll up a few lines and read my post #3 ...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...31&postcount=3

Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
allenski
4th Gear
A few days ago my passenger window moved up very sluggish. Yesterday, I toggled my passenger window switch...NOTHING; toggled the window switch a few more times throughout the day....NOTHING. So I called my dealer for a Monday morning service. I'm still under warranty (15k miles). I'll find out the exact problem next week.

edit: I suspect it's that 'classic' problem that's been talked about...good excuse to have a free replacement anyway.

Last edited by allenski; 06-28-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
yeah I already tried that, with no luck. I switched the fuses out too. looks like I'm taking it to the dealer (fun!).

thanks everyone

Old 07-01-2007, 05:07 AM
whovous
5th Gear
The thump mod worked for me a week or so ago. No problems so far, but doubtless they are coming. This is gonna get expensive when the time finally comes.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 AM
BigSky
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whovous
The thump mod worked for me a week or so ago. No problems so far, but doubtless they are coming. This is gonna get expensive when the time finally comes.
Yep, and when I ask why I always get the same answer..."because it's a BMW"

Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
I had my passengher side moptor replaced a couple fo years ago. I have started having problems with my drivers side now, but have been tapping it when it happens since the dealer is 2 hours away. When I have time, I have a few other minor things that need to be fixed prior to the warrantee running out.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
allenski
4th Gear
I ended up not taking mine to the dealer this morning to get my window because...WHO KNEW? The day after it was stuck...it started working again. I guess a few jolted closings on the door jarred something loose.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by allenski
I ended up not taking mine to the dealer this morning to get my window because...WHO KNEW? The day after it was stuck...it started working again. I guess a few jolted closings on the door jarred something loose.
haha!! same thing happened to me this morning too! 5 days of not working, and I go out to the car to head to the dealer, and (of course) it works just like new. I knew this would happen, i just wish I didnt have to wake up at 6:30 this morning for nothing!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
Even if it starts working most dealers will go ahead and replace the motor anyway as it will eventually fail completely and it is such a known issue.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
integranator
Neutral
Well, the time came for this to occur to my gf's mini. I am very apt w/ cars, as I have built my integra from the ground up, but she is out of her warranty. The stealership said that she will be charged 400$ for the motor, and they will just swap it out when she goes in to her 60k tuneup, which also is going to cost 800$. Out of control.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by integranator
Well, the time came for this to occur to my gf's mini. I am very apt w/ cars, as I have built my integra from the ground up, but she is out of her warranty. The stealership said that she will be charged 400$ for the motor, and they will just swap it out when she goes in to her 60k tuneup, which also is going to cost 800$. Out of control.
That's highway robbery! The motor is only about $100, retail. The last window job I did cost the owner just over $375 and I replaced the lifter assembly and the motor!

Steve

Old 07-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
Special tools for Window motor work?

Steve, AS you have experience, what special tools and replacement pannel clips (if any) are neccessary to do this work? I don't have the time or $$ to go to the dealer, and am more than capable of DIY jobs... but it sucks getting half way and realizing that you need a special tool.

-Josh

Originally Posted by SRTech
That's highway robbery! The motor is only about $100, retail. The last window job I did cost the owner just over $375 and I replaced the lifter assembly and the motor!

Steve

Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Verruckt
Steve, AS you have experience, what special tools and replacement pannel clips (if any) are neccessary to do this work? I don't have the time or $$ to go to the dealer, and am more than capable of DIY jobs... but it sucks getting half way and realizing that you need a special tool.

-Josh
The only special tool is the wrench for the big star shaped bolts that hold the glass to the regulator. You can also use a big screwdriver and a hammer if you are careful. You will also not need door clips if you are careful since they are pretty robust.

Steve

Quick Reply: Yet another Power Window Failure / Questions