Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Xenon headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
psb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
The only thing better that xenons are bixenons. I love the ones on my 06 & will never buy a car without them again if they are offered. With the high beam now being xenon IMO there may be no need for driving lights. I bought a set of clear plastic covers from Moss for my xenons. No rock problems yet.

Too me the cost doesn't seem too bad. Especially when folks spend hundreds of dollars for anthracite headliners & chrome bits. With xenons you gain a margin of safety for your money.

well put indeed!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
machineguncharley
4th Gear
I've got both...non-Xenons on my MC and Xenons on my MCSC. I've never ordered a car from my MA. I've always picked up my mini coopers on the lot. I did not know when I purchased my MCSC that the car had Xenons (sorry, I was excited when given the opportunity to purchase my convertible...it's not that I didn't walk around the car a few times, I just had "anxious buyer blindness" After closing the deal, I went back to the car and exclaimed to my MA - "It has XENONS!!" (At this point she MUST have thought that I was a complete idiot...but she did a good job of hiding her dismay! )

At any rate here's what I'm getting at...I really like the extra light that Xenons cast...I think they are definitely worth it! If my Mini Cooper had them I would be just that much happier. They really make a BIG difference at night. But having said that I agree with a previous post about pulling over when it gets dark. Occasionally I have to drive at night, but I'm really trying to make a conscious decision to do it only when there is a SERIOUS emergency! It's just not worth it...besides, a person could be sharing the road with Nicole Richie and not know it until it's too late!!!

Chuck

Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
What's the typical cost of the clearbra + installation?

Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surfblue
Second, I don't like cars with them coming at me and don't want to be one of them.
I second that emotion. If they weren't burdened with the complexity of washer jets, self levelers, ballasts and the weight and all of the cost that that brings, they'd be a perfect solution to the Halogen bulb.

But don't let my humbug affect your decision. Happy xenon owners can't be wrong. Everyone that has them loves them so they must be great.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:42 PM
bamatt
6th Gear

I bucked this online trend and SKIPED XENONS. First, I don't drive at night much. Xenons or not, you'll find me checked into a nice motel sucking downa cold ale when the sun goes down. Second, I don't like cars with them coming at me and don't want to be one of them...
Well since you don't drive much at night your opinion of headlights is limited so & the blinding xenons you see coming at you are most likely aftermarket crap. The Mini xenons are not blinding to other drivers & more importantly they provide a much clearer field of light for the driver of the Mini.

My Mini is the 1st Xenon equipped auto I have ever owned & I will never ever ever drive another car that doesn't have them. Call me silly but I feel that I tend to drive better when I can see

Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
The xenon's that blind us at night are typically those installed without self leveling.

When I lived in the foothills with lots of twisties and no street lighting, the Xenons made all the difference in the world. Xenons I've had have had a wide spread so you can see more on the side of the road and better around dark tight corners having nasty drop-offs (with my pre Xenon car I used to use my turn signals to see better on these corners).

Heck, on the MCS you can spend $1,400 (sport package) and get Xenons, Dynamic Stability Control and 17" performance wheels/tires, not to mention the headlamp washers and bonnet stripes. Now that's a good buy.

Until I started puting clear bra material on my head and fog lamps I must have replaced 4 or 5 light assemblies for typically ~$130 each (none were Xenon). I don't remember the exact cost to have the clear bra installed but but it was considerably less than the cost of a single fog lamp assembly.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
[quote=05DSMCS;1278182]The bad thing about halogens are they dim with age, so even if they start out brighter, as time goes on, they dim.

EVERYTHING dims with age. Get used to it.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
fourth there was a thread where it was revealed that they add over twenty five pounds right at each high front corner. (And I still question this...IS THAT RIGHT? I know there's a ballast unit and all, but how many pounds?? )
Each xenon adds 7.5 lbs

Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
R56MCS
Banned
To be exact 7.7lbs per side.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Options

Originally Posted by bamatt
Well since you don't drive much at night your opinion of headlights is limited
REPLY:
So following that thought, if I'm not executing people regularly, my opinion of capital punishment is limited. Geezus.

My Mini is the 1st Xenon equipped auto I have ever owned & I will never ever ever drive another car that doesn't have them. Call me silly but I feel that I tend to drive better when I can see
Here's a thought...on those dark roads, tryin slooowing dooown. Or keep your foot in it. Your choice. At least with those Xenons, you'll be able to see that big buck clearly right before he comes through your windshield.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that 7.7 pounds MORE than halogens weigh, or the total for each unit?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
R56MCS
Banned
More than halogens, (the primary reason that the GP R53's had halogen lights).

Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
I have the xenons in my car and my wife doesn't after having both i would say go with the xenons, they are well worth it.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear

+1

Old 12-20-2006, 12:27 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J A Blazer
I have Xenons and I'm not impressed. Would be a different story, I'm sure, if they were Bi-Xenons but they're not. .
Originally Posted by Crashton
The only thing better that xenons are bixenons.
Plz explain this.

With my 04 with Xenons. On low it was Xenon. On High it was the Xenon PLUS the H7 halogen high ... that is, both bulbs are burning

With Bi-xenons, the same bulb is use, by moving reflectors for both the high and low beams. How can one bulb burning be better than two?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Here's a thought...on those dark roads, tryin slooowing dooown. Or keep your foot in it. Your choice. At least with those Xenons, you'll be able to see that big buck clearly right before he comes through your windshield.
Why should I slow down? I have Xenons so I can see

p.s...I came very close to creaming 3 deer in broad daylight while driving down a road that had a lot of trees on each side so that's not just a night-time phenom

Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Plz explain this. With Bi-xenons, the same bulb is use, by moving reflectors for both the high and low beams. How can one bulb burning be better than two?
Because the Xenons put out more total light than the halogens. The reflector on a bi-xenon simply shields some of the light when low beams are in use. The entire output is released when you go to high beams.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Because the Xenons put out more total light than the halogens. The reflector on a bi-xenon simply shields some of the light when low beams are in use. The entire output is released when you go to high beams.
But the entire xenon bulb ... all 35 watts is burning on the lows PLUS I get the Halogens

That is MORE light than just the 35 watts of a bi-xenon.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
.... but all that 35 watts of light isn't coming out - some of it's being blocked by the glare shields or whatever they're called - which is why there's such a defined line across the top of the zone that is lit by your xenon low beams...

Old 12-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whichever lights you choose I would definitely recommend getting the clear (or colored) lense covers. Do not settle for the one that are the same thickness are the clear body shield, make sure you get the ones that are 1/16" thick. They will withstand a 1" stone at 60 mph (or something like that). Cheap insurance.

Had them on my first MCS and have them on my second. I also have the same thickness plastic on the fogs, only those are yellow. It helps in heavy fog, heavy rain and snow.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Seeing vs STOPPING

Why should I slow down? I have Xenons so I can see

There's a difference between SEEING and STOPPING! Keep your foot in it, the body shops need the business!

p.s...I came very close to creaming 3 deer in broad daylight while driving down a road that had a lot of trees on each side so that's not just a night-time phenom
No kidding! Deer out in the daytime. I am SHOCKED!
Be sure and post us from the emergency room.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:24 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
.... but all that 35 watts of light isn't coming out - some of it's being blocked by the glare shields or whatever they're called - which is why there's such a defined line across the top of the zone that is lit by your xenon low beams...
Hmm, you sure about that on MINIs?

Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't disassembled one to look at the inside - but it IS a pretty well defined line, and I read this thing about the shield somewhere... not that that makes it fact...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Don't know anything about xenons except I hate the SOB cars when they're behind me. What a freaking PITA! Wish they were banned.

JohnG

Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 PM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
I, too, would vote to keep the Xenons. I've seen way too many people decide against the Xenons when they order their Mini only later to come back and want to retrofit them. Not only does it cost an outrageous amount to retrofit Xenons ($1000++), but it is a major hassle. I have Xenons and cannot imagine going back to halogens. I've driven 200,000+ miles in my day in all sorts of cars and conditions (much on Montana roads), and I have never had anything take out a headlight...windshields yes, but not headlights.

There are also headlight protectors you can buy to alleviate potential damage.

In summary, stick with the Xenons!
drivin in montana is an ambition of mine your so lucky

Quick Reply: Xenon headlights?