Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Xenon headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfblue
There's a difference between SEEING and STOPPING! Keep your foot in it, the body shops need the business!
Dunno what this has to do with Xenons but I did stop. I saw one deer run about 15 feet in front of me & I slammed on the brakes because I know where there is one deer there are usually more to follow. The minute I slammed on my brakes a 2nd deer came darting out inches from my front bumper & a 3rd came out almost hitting the side of my car but managed to run just behind it . After a quick stop to change my britches I was on my merry way

Old 12-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Sissy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Dunno what this has to do with Xenons but I did stop. I saw one deer run about 15 feet in front of me & I slammed on the brakes because I know where there is one deer there are usually more to follow. The minute I slammed on my brakes a 2nd deer came darting out inches from my front bumper & a 3rd came out almost hitting the side of my car but managed to run just behind it . After a quick stop to change my britches I was on my merry way
You were so lucky. I friend of mine hit a deer on her way to work. It did major damage to her car. If they come thru the windshield, they can kick the snoot out of you.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
With xenons, you do gain more clarity than with regular halogen lights. Also the beams are more widespread to the sides, but it doesn't go as "far" as the regular halogens (at least it was this way in my Mazda3). This is mostly due to the leveling system (in order to avoid blinding oncoming drivers) I think. Speaking of the leveling system, it is automatic and if the sensors are damaged... well... it can be expensive (depending on the dealer). Basically, there are trade offs, better clarity but with little more expense if things go downhill.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Be thankful

Say a word of thanks for those Mini brakes. You were lucky. One of the Grinnall Scorpion owners swears by a high tech electronic (not the ones that work on wind only) "deer whistles" he's installed. Says it has saved his bacon many times. Sound like cheap insurance if you have a lot of deer in your neck of the woods.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM
R56MCS
Banned
For info the brakes on the R56 are awsome.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:53 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that proper xenons do not blind other drivers. But there are lots of other reasons you get blinded. Some drivers that seem to think they should drive with their high beams on all the time. Others have illegal xenon systems. Some simply have mis-adjusted headlights.

Industry resource on the topic: http://www.mvlc.info/glare.html

from http://murmini.com

Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm fully on board with everyone - get the Xenons - I only wish that MINI would allow the US market to have a switch to dip the lights up or down (I know they're auto adjusting) so that you can play with the reach of the lights. My 04 WRX STi had that leveling switch and I loved it! :-)

Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
I only wish that MINI would allow the US market to have a switch to dip the lights up or down (I know they're auto adjusting) so that you can play with the reach of the lights.
Have I missed something? The Bi-Xenons being offered on the R56 are supposed to be bi-level, with a shutter that comes up or down to adjust between low-beam and high-beam. Where on low-beam, part of the light is shielded and on highs the total output is allowed to shine.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Have I missed something? The Bi-Xenons being offered on the R56 are supposed to be bi-level, with a shutter that comes up or down to adjust between low-beam and high-beam. Where on low-beam, part of the light is shielded and on highs the total output is allowed to shine.
That is what I was asking

Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 AM
fafnir
2nd Gear
if hitting dear is your greatest fear maybe you shouldn't be driving a mini

buy a short bus and load a grand piano on top and 40 bags of cement in the back for weight and momentum and use 3 inches thick polycarb for the windshield and a steel wedge-type snow plow upfront

like what trains from the 1900's used to get dead animals off the tracks

and weld your callopse zones/ crush zones shut

and fill your tires with rubber cement

forget herds of elephants, you could run into a sperm whale in the middle of the road and it still wouldn't matter

_

Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 AM
RoyalJCW
3rd Gear
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One more question (like Columbo)--as I understand it, the bi-xenons are always on, just part of the light is shuttered. Meaning that if I use my brights at night, I'm not turning anything on, just "redirecting" the light, right? One thing I have heard is that it is hard on xenons to turn lights on and off.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
A little patience here, please--I'm new at this. I ordered Xenons with my new MINI, and now I'm having second thoughts. I'm worried about maintenance, especially now that these cars have bi-xenons.

If I get a rock hit on my headlight, how much is it to replace the light? I had a problem with the igniter in a BMW headlight, and it was $400 (installed). Is this what I'd pay for a rock? I live out in the country and would like the light the Xenons offer, but I also do freeway driving where there are lots of semis throwing up junk.

It isn't too late to change the specs on my MINI--am I making a mistake by going with the Xenons?
If you haven't been convinced yet, here is a link posted today about retrofitting OEM Xenons from halogen lights. If you read the BMW service guide, it says a retrofit would take 6.5 hours plus parts. I guarantee that the retrofit would be much more than having factory installed Xenons.

http://motoringfile.com/2006/12/29/official-xenon-retrofit-pdf-for-05-mini/

Just food for thought.

Last edited by Wolfshiem; 12-29-2006 at 10:21 AM. Reason: link
Old 12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
One more question (like Columbo)--as I understand it, the bi-xenons are always on, just part of the light is shuttered. Meaning that if I use my brights at night, I'm not turning anything on, just "redirecting" the light, right? One thing I have heard is that it is hard on xenons to turn lights on and off.
Yes, and yes.

Bi-xenon lights use one bulb to do the work of low and high beams.

HID lamps are essentially an arc lamp. There's an igniter that uses very high voltage AC to get the lamp going into a steady state discharge, and then that's maintained with a lower voltage. They work rather similar to flourescent lights in that regard. To prolong the life of the light, you shouldn't flick them on and off like a 4-year old on a light switch.

Having it set up this way gives you instantaneous response when you go to high-beams (no lag for the arc to get started) and saves wear on the high-beams (since there really is no high beam lamp).

Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM
resmini
6th Gear
[quote=surfblue;1278653]
Second, I don't like cars with them coming at me and don't want to be one of them. quote]

That alone is enough of a reason for me not to get them.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Ok.. so when that deer jumps out at you and you can't see it. :-)

Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 PM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Ok.. so when that deer jumps out at you and you can't see it. :-)
But I bet there are at least a few xenon-beam blinded drivers who have driven off into a ditch. . How these damn headlamps were ever approved is beyond me.

BTW, a million watt headlight isn't going to make a dif when a deer jumps out in front of you.

JohnG

Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 AM
ksmaas1
2nd Gear
I have a 2002 Cooper S with Xenon and a 2002 Cooper with halogen. I can actually see further with the halogen, especially when it's wet. It cost my $7.44 (including free shipping from Pepboys) to get a new Hella bulb when it went in the Halogen. The xenon bulb was $144 in the S (best price I could find for no-name after market bulb).
If I want brighter lights with Xenon, there is nothing I can do about it. However, for the Halogen I can get 70 watt or 100 Watt bulbs for less than $50 a pair. I understand later Halgens no longer used the H7 for both low and high beam, but when they changed, the hi beam went up to 65 watt from the 55 used in 2002. I have not upgraded and find the 55watt out performs the xenon for distance. I also had xenon on my M3 and didn't like the bluish tint there either, but didn't have as good a comparison as the two MINI's to see exactly what the difference was.
My next mini (clubman/traveller) will not have xenon unless they drop the halogen.

www.danielsternlighting.com has a good write up in his tech section on why the bluish light bothers some people and not others. The same reasons probably impact why some people can see better with xenon and others don't. Rather than following what others say they like, the best solution is to go to a dealer and drive both at night and see which you like better in a MINI.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
I bought my MINI off the lot and it had Xenon's. Occasionally I have to take my truck out at night and and even with it's Halogen's I feel like I'm driving blind after driving the MINI.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnnymg
BTW, a million watt headlight isn't going to make a dif when a deer jumps out in front of you.
Somewhat true - but having grown up in Northern Maine - the better your lights at night both outward and side angles - the better you have a chance of slowing down and not plowing into a moose/deer/bear as it decides to cross the road in front of you.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnnymg
But I bet there are at least a few xenon-beam blinded drivers who have driven off into a ditch. . How these damn headlamps were ever approved is beyond me.
When Xenons 1st came out I found them blinding but they have come a long way since then. The only Xenons that have blinded me lately are the ones that someone has obviously retrofit. Have you ever had a Mini w/factory Xenons pull up behind you or drive towards you? I doubt it because the Mini Xenons have a sharp cutoff & aren't at all blinding. I can't say the same about most other autos with Halogen bulbs.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 AM
resmini
6th Gear
The Mini xenons are not blinding to other drivers & more importantly they provide a much clearer field of light for the driver of the Mini.
That's an interesting comment. I'd say that not blinding other drivers is at least as important as having trendy, megabright lights for yourself.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
That's an interesting comment. I'd say that not blinding other drivers is at least as important as having trendy, megabright lights for yourself.
OMG could you nitpick a bit more
Mini Xenons are not blinding nor do I consider them a trend.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to end this thread.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ksmaas1
However, for the Halogen I can get 70 watt or 100 Watt bulbs for less than $50 a pair. I understand later Halgens no longer used the H7 for both low and high beam, but when they changed, the hi beam went up to 65 watt from the 55 used in 2002.
Anything higher than 65 watts is illegal most anywhere in the US. Going to 100 watts and you take the chance of a wiring fire. High wattage halogens are easy for the cops to see, especially when coming at them. If you want more light, just add some auxiliary lights

Quick Reply: Xenon headlights?